PDA

View Full Version : No insurance for modded cars?

Gripenfelter
04-05-2004, 07:31 PM
http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=carnews&loc_code=index&content_code=02910534

rage2
04-05-2004, 08:28 PM
Believe me, I know all about it. AMA refused to renew insurance on my AMG because :

- It had Koni Yellows replacement shock absorbers
- It had Mercedes Benz factory lowering shims
- I use it at the track (even though they know there's zero coverage at the track).

I heard stories of AMA attending Solo2 events, writing down plate numbers, and dropping insurance on AMA insured vehicles attending the event. Why they don't attend street races instead totally baffles me. Idiots. They have a right to terminate insurance even if you attend secret street, which REQUIRES registration and insurance.

Not all hope is lost though. TD and Meloche Monnex both agreed to insure me with my modifications. They don't know of track use though, but I don't plan on taking the AMG to the track this year :devil:. Unfortunately, unless you're a perfect driver over 25, these companies most likely won't insure you. With the way the current insurance policies work though (all companies), the policy favors street racers. Meaning you'll get coverage street racing and crashing, but you'll lose your policy for attending Secret Street even if nothing happens. Go figure.

This discussion has been going on for a while over at the CSCC boards.

Redlyne_mr2
04-05-2004, 09:39 PM
Insuring a vehicle is getting way out of hand, only a year and a half until Im 25. Its almost worth having my vehicle insured in Saskatchewan, at least id be paying less for no coverage

SwitchBlade
04-05-2004, 09:58 PM
I heard of a guy who lives in alberta and got a PO box in B.C. and pays insurance thorught there. Dunno how much truth there is to that tho.

Ben
04-05-2004, 10:22 PM
I have to look for a new Insurance company soon. When I insured my car through them (TD), they got a statement with the mechanical inspection done stating what motor was in the car and mechanical modifications as well as my interior. because of this I pay basically the same as a 92 GTI 16V, which I have no problem with. I called them up a few months ago about other motors, and they refused to cover any modifications to the vehicle whatsoever if it was ment to increase the stock horsepower of the car.

I asked why I was Allowed to insure my car the way it is now back a year ago, and they said because their policy changed last January when they moved to not insuring drivers under 25 and modified cars. And since I had a policy starting before that change, I was allowed to keep it. Any new vehicles added to the policy now have to conform, so now I need an insurance company who will insure on car mods and not on year and body. I even said I would pay more, they said no. Ass'

max_boost
04-05-2004, 10:34 PM
That's really interesting......I have to talk to my Statefarm agent and see what the deal is with modified cars. Previously, I never gave any consideration towards car mods/insurance but I think my perspectives have changed quite a bit over the last year.

Comptech S2K:drool:

4wheeldrift
04-05-2004, 10:49 PM
Screw it, the new car is staying stock (yeah yeah I say that now). I've got the mustang to mess with now, can keep my daily driver pristine and not have to worry about all this stuff.

finboy
04-06-2004, 12:00 AM
i'm with ama too, and as far as they are concerned my car is, and always will be, STOCK.

if i tell them about mods or the track, i'm fucked either way, so i'll just keep my plpd, and get a good alarm.

insurance in alberta is BS, and government intervention won't do shit.

rice_eater
04-06-2004, 12:07 AM
makes no difference to me...i wont be able to afford my insurance when i renew in september so either way i wont be driving this car:guns: :guns: :guns:

bighead411
04-06-2004, 01:10 AM
rage........i'm sorry to hear that. i never heard AMA have sucks policy like that. i think Monnex(which is TD) provide a very reasonable rate especially if u grad from UC or Sait....something like that..........

core_upt
04-06-2004, 03:05 AM
I just got a quote for my prelude from the RBC insurnace group. They offered me PDPL no problem, but I have to mail them a picture of my car so they can decide if they will offer me full coverage. It seems weird, but I guess this is the way insurance companies are going.

rage2
04-06-2004, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Comptech S2K:drool:
If you have a comptech s/c S2K, and you get in an accident which is your fault, I'm willing to bet that they'll void your policy.

max_boost
04-06-2004, 02:36 PM
Just had a chat with my Statefarm agent, any performance enhancing modification that is aftermarket and not an upgrade from the factory can possibly/will void the policy depending on the seriousness of the accident and the actual modification performed/installed regardless if it is at fault or not at fault.

He also said I can get extra coverage on parts including stereo & rims but any major tweaks to the engine compartment i.e. supercharger voids everything. Any changes to the suspension components of the vehicle adjusting its original height can also void coverage depending on the severity of the accident (where I was hit) and amount of damages sustained if it can be proven that less damage could have been prevented if I didn't lower the car. Basically a lot of investigation/followup will be required and is an outright hassle should a collision occur.

This basically leaves me SOL since Statefarm has by far the lowest rates for my coverage ($200/month RSX-S) where as other places have quoted me on average at least $150/month more!:eek:I had no idea the legal ramifications involved but now I do and looks like I'm going to have to wait until I'm 25 or pay out of my ass and switch companies if I want to drive a modded car. Looks like the Comptech S2K is out of the picture, at least for now. With summer almost here, I'm still pursuing all possible options to get into a roadster:D

That.Guy.S30
04-06-2004, 03:27 PM
just when i decided to mod up my car. i saw these concerns on other forums but relly thought it had nothin to do with me. i guess ill just keep it stock and use the extra cash on somethin else. sucks tho

max_boost
04-06-2004, 03:31 PM
Yah, I never gave insurance any consideration previously when it came to car mods but the legal consequences can be quite severe (for statefarm at least)

So where are those guys with $40K dumped into their cars? How do you guys insure your cars? Does your company know about it?

Ben
04-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Yah, I never gave insurance any consideration previously when it came to car mods but the legal consequences can be quite severe (for statefarm at least)

So where are those guys with $40K dumped into their cars? How do you guys insure your cars? Does your company know about it?

I started a thread about that and all I could get from a few clowns was "pl/pd" :tongue:

That.Guy.S30
04-06-2004, 03:55 PM

yea i do wonder about that. but my question is what happens to bigger companies like Mugen, prodrive, TRD.. etc. etc.. since modifcations are technically a no no with insurance companies, wouldnt that kill their business since all they do is make aftermarket products?

rage2
04-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
yea i do wonder about that. but my question is what happens to bigger companies like Mugen, prodrive, TRD.. etc. etc.. since modifcations are technically a no no with insurance companies, wouldnt that kill their business since all they do is make aftermarket products?
My rideheight adjustment shims were Mercedes Benz factory parts and it was deemed a no-no.

I guess I was lucky in that they did pay out on my claim (I wasn't at fault remember), and only resorted to not renewing me for the following year. It would've sucked hardcore if they didn't pay out to fix my car for a not at fault accident.

rc2002
04-06-2004, 04:11 PM
I guess the only solution is to never get into an accident while driving a modded car... :D

Maybe PLPD is good enough for me...

Ducati
04-06-2004, 04:16 PM
I wonder about Kit Cars and Rods? Will they insure those?

In BC we can insure anything that will pass Air Care and in the case of a kit or a Rod, it has to pass a safety check, which is reasonable. The Air Care test is scored the same way they would score whatever car the engine came from (but Air Care were confused when a workmate of mine with a 34 Fibreglass Ford replica Highboy powered by a stroked Chev crate Motor, 383 CID - no not a mopar - a 350 with a 400 smallblock crank) but they just decided to rate it like a 350 iron block of the late eighties. Fortunately, the Air Care guys are car guys first and foremost, and will cut some slack.

However withn the negative publicity of all the recent streetracing deaths in BC, it is only a matter of time untill modded cars are targetted in this manner, as a loophole method of getting them off the road. Manitoba did something similar in the seventies when Autopac lobbied to make "altered suspension" (interpreted by cops as anything with rims & big boots) illegal, and the cops would impound our cars & tow them away until we could justify the mods or sign an undertaking to revert to stock in 14 days & bring it back for inspection.
I must have paid out $500 in impound fees over one two year period for running my old GTX with L50 cheater slicks. ($500 was a lot of money back then, especially when a racing ticket was only $90 & 2 demerits.
Were you around in those days, Gripenfelder?

max_boost
04-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002
I guess the only solution is to never get into an accident while driving a modded car... :D

I think that pretty much sums it up, I've talked to a few people today and to my surprise, they don't tell their insurance companies a thing about their modifications. I guess I'm not too surprised cause I did the same thing haha:D It seems as though things are becoming much more strict now than before.:nut:

speedracer
04-06-2004, 04:17 PM
There's always racing insurance http://www.competition.ca/
or get your car appraised.

max_boost
04-06-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by rage2

My rideheight adjustment shims were Mercedes Benz factory parts and it was deemed a no-no.

I guess I was lucky in that they did pay out on my claim (I wasn't at fault remember), and only resorted to not renewing me for the following year. It would've sucked hardcore if they didn't pay out to fix my car for a not at fault accident. So I presume they found out about the minor mods after the accident during the appraisal process? Of course, I don't see why you would tell them such things prior to....

What about your 944? Is that considered 'stock' to insurance? :D

That.Guy.S30
04-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by rage2

I guess I was lucky in that they did pay out on my claim (I wasn't at fault remember), and only resorted to not renewing me for the following year. It would've sucked hardcore if they didn't pay out to fix my car for a not at fault accident.

not to be a bitch but that is rediculous what they did to you rage. i wonder what they will say when they see a srt-4 with a turbo/suspension upgrade from dogde? lol those dogde guys dont know whats coming to them.

rage2
04-06-2004, 05:15 PM
Well if you think minor mods and insurance denial is fucked up, try this :

- Call your insurance company asking for a new quote.
- Tell them your car is 100% stock, and you wish to attend car shows a few times a year. You don't drive it much, just attend shows to show off the car.

They will tell you they won't cover you. If you tell them your existing vehicle enters car shows, they'll most likely not renew your insurance.

Betcha you guys didn't know about that one... the insurance companies (well, the underwriters, not the agents) are not interested in insuring you if you enter into car shows. I have no idea why, the agent couldn't explain it to me.

Hollywood
04-06-2004, 05:31 PM
It's all about money in and lets not get screwed on the money out. For insurance companies.

4wheeldrift
04-06-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by Ducati
I wonder about Kit Cars and Rods? Will they insure those?

In BC we can insure anything that will pass Air Care and in the case of a kit or a Rod, it has to pass a safety check, which is reasonable. The Air Care test is scored the same way they would score whatever car the engine came from (but Air Care were confused when a workmate of mine with a 34 Fibreglass Ford replica Highboy powered by a stroked Chev crate Motor, 383 CID - no not a mopar - a 350 with a 400 smallblock crank) but they just decided to rate it like a 350 iron block of the late eighties. Fortunately, the Air Care guys are car guys first and foremost, and will cut some slack. I'm not sure how things work in alberta in terms of insurance for kit cars. The alberta motor vehicle act has provisions for kit cars and home builts where the vehicle is safety inspected by a qualified shop and issued a VIN number. From there I'd imagine it would take some insurance shopping, but there are more than a few companies that deal with modified and kit cars specifically so it probably wouldn't be tough to find coverage, probably just expensive.

VWhooligan
04-06-2004, 06:12 PM
God bless manitoba insurance. Not only does it give me cheap insurance, but it doesn't care about modifications.

I went in at Christmas and told them that I had about $5000 in mods in my car, and wondered if the mods were insured, and if not ,how much more it would cost to be insured. They told me to just make sure I have a dated picture of the items installed and its covered no extra cost.

:love:

Ducati
04-06-2004, 10:50 PM
Ah yes, Brandon Manitoba.
We used to race between Brandon & Virden when I lived in Manitoba & my job took me there. My GTO TriPower was $189 a year through Autopac.
Now I make 3 times as much money and my insurance is 10 times as high.

Ducati
04-06-2004, 10:54 PM
...and Im a little er...larger...

VWhooligan
04-06-2004, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Ducati
Ah yes, Brandon Manitoba.
We used to race between Brandon & Virden when I lived in Manitoba & my job took me there. My GTO TriPower was $189 a year through Autopac.
Now I make 3 times as much money and my insurance is 10 times as high.

haha, I have a highways job out in Virden this summer, I'm sure I'll be doing alot of racing between the cities.

That.Guy.S30
04-06-2004, 11:20 PM
so what happens when you mod up your car. get into a accident and dont tell them about the mods becuase you dont care if they re-emburse the mods just the value of the damage?

That.Guy.S30
04-08-2004, 04:20 PM
bimp.. can someone answer my question?

rc2002
04-08-2004, 04:30 PM
I think it all depends on the mods and on the insurance company.

I don't see small mods like muffler, CAI, and rims completely voiding your policy. Bigger mods like forced induction might be a different story though...

For the larger mods I'm sure that some insurance companies would completely void your policy, but other companies might just reimburse you for the value of the damage (not including mods). You should call your insurance company and find out.

That.Guy.S30
04-08-2004, 04:34 PM
hmm thanks

Speed_Dreams
04-08-2004, 11:36 PM
this is all bullshit....wouldn't it be in the insurance companies best interest to insure us now? i mean we are all young with money to burn ( or so it seems) i mean im getting SCREWED with my insurance thru cooperators i mean im paying $6300 a year for my 90 teg full coverage but i have never been in accidents just the three tickets on my record. thats pretty much a free $6300 ( knock on wood) a year for them if they told me that they woudln't insure me i son't know what i would do. I mean why can' t the insurance companies in alberta wake up they aren't goping to stop racing or moding cars just like they aren't going to stop fat people from eating @ McDonalds. its just what people do. Bc and Sask and Manitoba have woken up and realized that the younger generation is the next older generation. so don't screw us now or we will take our bussines someplace else.

sorry

end rant

max_boost
04-08-2004, 11:49 PM
Oh Dear Lord Insurance Scammers........

$6300 for a 90 Integra!!:eek:

That.Guy.S30
04-09-2004, 12:17 AM
the cooperators are a bunch of dicks. my dad has his car insured under them and they keep on sending ME letters to not drive his vehicle. for fuck sakes i told them 3 times i have my own vehicle and stop giving me these letters and they still continue. plus they charge wayyyyy to much money

three.eighteen.
04-09-2004, 01:31 AM
we could just go project mayhem on all the insurance buildings...then the government should step in...