PDA

View Full Version : Protein Bad For You?

hockeybronx
04-06-2004, 02:03 AM
I keep reading all this shit how too much Protein could be bad for you. In one example they used a 150 pound man who was consuming 180 grams of protein every day.

The nutritionists were suggesting that this much protein will cause severe kidney damage, as well as dicalcification of bones because of the acidity the protein is bringing to the body.

Anybody know what the deal is? Protein is good for you, no protein is bad for you:drama:

Impreza
04-06-2004, 02:09 AM
well, in excess it is bad for you. Your body can become oversaturated with too much protein and it could lead to complications.

But like most things, protein is best in moderation. Any excess stuff is bad for you, like protein, or creatine.....

don't quote me on this, i just remember reading it on bodybuilding.com

core_upt
04-06-2004, 02:59 AM
too much protein, in excess of grams of protein per pound of bodyweight, can be really hard on your kidneys which break down the protein to feed it to your muscles. It causes a lot of stress on the kidenys and can lead to your body leetching out some important vitamins, etc.

Protein is good for you, but like most things, in moderation. Use it to supplement muscle building, ie post workout, before bed, but not in excess for long periods of time.

TrevorK
04-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Maybe if you have 300-500g/day and you weight 150lbs it's a problem.

There are no scientific studies(True scientific studies, peer reviewed, etc...) to prove there are ANY problems with protein consumption within a normal realm (250g and under). In fact, there are just as many "studies" supporting it as saying it's bad....

davidI
04-06-2004, 08:38 AM
I know tons of guys who take over 2g/pound of body weight. Drink lots of water and you'll be fine.

rx7girlie
04-06-2004, 03:46 PM
A normal health person's body is extremely efficient at metabolizing protein.

But, it also depends what you mean by too much? Do you mean like Atkins high protein low carb diet? If that's the case, there should be no problem.

davidI
04-06-2004, 04:28 PM
For a bodybuilder there is no such thing as too much.

Jassie
04-09-2004, 11:12 AM
You are supposed to have 25 grams of protein per meal, per day and balance it with 30% fat and 30% carbs (meaning each meal should be 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbs)

TrevorK
04-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Jassie
You are supposed to have 25 grams of protein per meal, per day and balance it with 30% fat and 30% carbs (meaning each meal should be 40% protein, 30% fat and 30% carbs)

Maybe you should also put on here that is YOUR opinion.

A lot of people suggest a 40/30/30 split, with 40% being Carbs.

And for any lifter, 25g of protein in a meal is NOT enough.

core_upt
04-12-2004, 11:09 AM
I've read that the male average body can ingest and use up to 35g of protein per serving. If you're lifting, I'm sure you can do more than this, prolly closer to 40/serving. Anything more is leached out of your system.

The general rule for building is 1g protein per pound of HEALTHY body weight (lean mass), for heavy building/bulking, I think 2g per lb of lean mass is okay for shorter periods, but probably not for over a 4 month cycle. My $0.02

Ducati
04-22-2004, 11:01 AM
Some protein is bad for you.

Here is an example of some protein enriched bread that is not really very good at all.
Avoid this type of bread if at all possible.