PDA

View Full Version : Good place to go to for Post Secondary

Master D. Bater
04-06-2004, 08:10 PM
I'll be graduating in a few months here and I'd really like to get your opinions on colleges and universities. I'm looking to major in engineering. I've heard that U of C has a decent program, but what are other schools that you have heard are good?

buh_buh
04-06-2004, 08:11 PM
Clown College?

Masta Dz17
04-06-2004, 08:24 PM
^^^^:rofl: :rofl:

D'z Nutz
04-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by buh_buh
Clown College?

No, a DeVry education isn't really highly regarded.

Super_Geo
04-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Master D. Bater
I'll be graduating in a few months here and I'd really like to get your opinions on colleges and universities. I'm looking to major in engineering. I've heard that U of C has a decent program, but what are other schools that you have heard are good?

Queen's has a great engineering program... a lot of school spirit too. The people here arn't dicks either... if you don't want to do any assignments there's plenty of peopel to copy off of, the standard of education is high but people arn't stupidly competitive. I think most people who come here like it a lot :thumbsup:

Here's what frosh week is like ;) The entire video is pretty long, but the first part is ok. The end of the video is pretty cool too... 700 first year engineers climbing the grease pole... (as flaming as that sounds...)

http://engsoc.queensu.ca/sci06/filemgmt/visit.php?lid=2

Chim
04-06-2004, 10:04 PM
Go UofC if you're staying in Calgary

MerfBall
04-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Queens is well known for its engineering programs. If you decide you want somewhere closer then SFU has a well recognized engineering program.

sputnik
04-07-2004, 08:40 AM
Burger U

rc2002
04-07-2004, 09:25 AM
I think MIT has a good engineering program too. :D

But in Canada, I think Waterloo is supposed to be one of the top engineering schools.

EK 2.0
04-07-2004, 04:04 PM

KFC University is taking enrollments right now man...

Ferio_vti
04-07-2004, 06:04 PM
depends on what you want to do and how much time and money you want to spend.

Technical and trade is always good. No one ever things of becoming a plumber or carpenter. And there's always work. Computer tech, there's too many out there, market is flooded.

University is good, if you want to be a professional student. Kidding. If you want to be a lawyer, nurse, etc. Something a bit more white colar.

hjr
04-07-2004, 06:45 PM
U of A is good too. Lots of emphasis on Engineering it seems. U of C is pretty good as well and you stay home. U of A is cool cause you still pay 'in province" prices but get to live away from your parents.

20incheyes
04-07-2004, 08:05 PM
montreal, they got 5 big schools (2 english) the ladies, drugs, beer, parties, clubs, will beat out any other place in Canada by a long shot.

enjoy

Master D. Bater
04-08-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

KFC University is taking enrollments right now man...

Is that where you got yours? You must have been there for a joint degree!:thumbsup: What was it, a major in the big bucket with a minor in gravy? Congratulations, soon you might be on the bucket instead of the colenol!:D

Master D. Bater
04-08-2004, 02:55 PM
for the rest of you, thanks for the input. I'll look into some of these places. Not sure if I'm gonna move away from home yet, but if I do, the K car will take me there!:D

Super_Geo
04-08-2004, 03:50 PM
for the rest of you, thanks for the input. I'll look into some of these places. Not sure if I'm gonna move away from home yet, but if I do, the K car will take me there!:D

If you're graduating this year you should probably get your applications in right away. The earlier you apply the easier it is to get it. I didn't end up applying to universities until early/mid april and it really fucked me over.

hustler
04-08-2004, 04:04 PM
i hear waterloo is good..........but its I hear its also a bitch to get into....done some research since i wanna do eng too

Super_Geo
04-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by hustler
i hear waterloo is good..........but its I hear its also a bitch to get into....done some research since i wanna do eng too

Yeah it all depends on what department you want to go into. At Waterloo software engineering needs 95%+ averages to get in. Most of their other eng programs in waterloo only requires 85-88% (or that's what it was a few years ago).

Queen's is pretty easy to get into... 85%+ averages will get you in because the first year is common and you specialize starting 2nd year. I like that system a lot more because most people don't really know much about the field that they're into when they're leaving high school. That way as long as you know you want to do engineering, the common first year lets you get a feel of what you want to do with the rest of your time. If you want any decent entrance scholarships you'll need 90%+.

When calculating your % they take the average of:

Math 30
Math 31
English 30
Physics 30
Chemistry 30

Haha, and if you do end up coming here, join the Formula SAE team. This year's car's 0-60 time is 3.9s and it turns on a dime. And as long as you're part of the club, you can drive it (after you spend the year designing it) :bigpimp:

BloodBaneZXY
04-08-2004, 09:33 PM
Have you already submitted applications and stuff? I assume so considering deadlines are passed?

Master D. Bater
04-11-2004, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by BloodBaneZXY
Have you already submitted applications and stuff? I assume so considering deadlines are passed?

No, I've already applied to the U of C a while ago, I just wanted to see what other options were open to me. I did really well in all my core subjects, well, I am at about a 82% in Social 30 and about an 80% in English, but on my Chem, Physics and Math I am all in the 90's!:thumbsup:

sml
04-23-2004, 06:08 PM

No, I've already applied to the U of C a while ago, I just wanted to see what other options were open to me. I did really well in all my core subjects, well, I am at about a 82% in Social 30 and about an 80% in English, but on my Chem, Physics and Math I am all in the 90's!:thumbsup:

If you've got those marks, don't waste your time and just apply directly to a REAL school like Queens, Waterloo, and SFU... :rofl: but seriously! :D

Kamen
04-24-2004, 01:43 AM
Yea, come to Queens. Even though I'm a stupid artsci I can say Super_Geo speaks the truth!