PDA

View Full Version : cougar top speed?

mopar
04-07-2004, 11:53 AM
MY 99 cougar registers 150 and I've hit 135. I figured it would shut off before 120. Don't have enough road around here to hit 150 if it'll go that far. Anyone know where this thing shuts off?

sti_power
04-07-2004, 11:58 AM
cool

Toms-Celica
04-07-2004, 12:42 PM
www.newcougar.org

QuasarCav
04-07-2004, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by mopar
MY 99 cougar registers 150 and I've hit 135. I figured it would shut off before 120. Don't have enough road around here to hit 150 if it'll go that far. Anyone know where this thing shuts off?

watch yourself there chief, it's one thing to be able to go that fast but will your tires be able to??

I think most tires can only handle about 120MPH. At 135 your chance of survival is pretty slim!

DonJuan
04-07-2004, 01:55 PM
On the 240 I had who knows what kind of crap tires on and I had it going at just over 200kph (speedo ends at 200kph)with rpm to spare. If you car starts shaking at high speeds (slow down) if you start hearing noises (slow down) if you feel an odd vibration (slow down) basically if the car does one thing that it doesn't usually do at 110kph (slow the fuck down) If you follow this you probably won't end up as road rash, but please if you are gonna try this find an abandoned road at night (track is best) so that you don't hurt anyone else.

sputnik
04-07-2004, 02:01 PM
meah... just some dumb yankee trying to convince everyone that his chick-car-cougar is fast (and therefore must be cool).

ninspeed
04-07-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan
On the 240 I had who knows what kind of crap tires on and I had it going at just over 200kph (speedo ends at 200kph)with rpm to spare. If you car starts shaking at high speeds (slow down) if you start hearing noises (slow down) if you feel an odd vibration (slow down) basically if the car does one thing that it doesn't usually do at 110kph (slow the fuck down) If you follow this you probably won't end up as road rash, but please if you are gonna try this find an abandoned road at night (track is best) so that you don't hurt anyone else.
wow... i think thats the best advice i have ever heard.......:rolleyes:

EK 2.0
04-07-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by DonJuan

You forgot, "if you see red and blue lights in your mirror...slow down...":rolleyes:

DonJuan
04-07-2004, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD

You forgot, "if you see red and blue lights in your mirror...slow down...":rolleyes:
no way! have you seen how much speeding tickets are now? :eek: :D

hjr
04-07-2004, 06:06 PM
you cant outrun a motorola

mopar
04-12-2004, 12:02 PM
well just got new yokos and new suspension kit so it feels pretty smooth at 120. And for the punk calling me a dumb yankee, lets see you go against my so called chick-car-cougar. Bitch.

EK 2.0
04-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by mopar
well just got new yokos and new suspension kit so it feels pretty smooth at 120. And for the punk calling me a dumb yankee, lets see you go against my so called chick-car-cougar. Bitch.

Uhmm, hate to break it to you, but feeling smooth, and being able to handle high speed are 2 totally different entitiies for suspensions man...

For example a AMG Merc, vs the Standard model, the regualr Merc will drive nice around the track, but the AMG, will tear the track up handle way higher thresholds, and in turn, show lower lap times...

Drsuce
04-12-2004, 01:51 PM
my 85 mr2 topped out at 195kph.... smooth as a babys botom ride too.... i'd never do it again tho

JustinL
04-12-2004, 03:51 PM
BAH! What your speedometer reads and your actual speed can be quite discrepant. Make sure you calculate your speed or use GPS. Most cars won't reach the end of the guage so don't use that as a top speed claim either.

Justin

mopar
04-13-2004, 06:43 AM
your right cyclone, they are totally different, but it is a little more comfortable to go that fast when the ride is smooth. you are right though.