PDA

View Full Version : How do i get a stripped hex screw out??

5gluder
04-07-2004, 11:09 PM
Well i decided to swap my summer tires on today and also lower my ride with the adjustibe coilovers. To adjust the coilovers you have to unscrew a hex head screw which would let me lower the car. I ussually cover them with some sort of sealent to keep them from seizing . Well the stupid screw ended up stripping and i can't seem to get it out:banghead:.

There is no way for me to get at the screw so i just took the whole shock/spring assembly out, i plan on taking somewhere to get the thing out, i just don't know where. Will a muffler shop be able to get this out? Anyone know of any shops in the N.E. that can help me out?

Thanks

Weapon_R
04-07-2004, 11:12 PM
I'll tell you what NOT to get - those craftsman Easy Out crap. What a crock of shit! They don't even work - needless to say, i'm returning my set tomorrow.

To get it out, i'd drill right into the middle of the screw. It worked for two of my screws, but I broke the bit on the third one :banghead:

benyl
04-07-2004, 11:12 PM
I am pretty sure it has to be drilled out...

calgarys13
04-07-2004, 11:18 PM
take a miniture propane tank and a tiger torch and heat things up a bit if it is stuck this will either break the rust thats holding it in or enlarge the hole after that go get some vise grips and give it a good yank...also try hitting it with a hammer from side to side

maximus
04-08-2004, 12:21 AM
Usually drilling would be a good idea but in this case I think it won't work because of the danger of drilling too far into the actual threads of the coilovers and ruining them. I had the same problem with my bros brakes on his old golf last weekend. They use a hex style bolt and it was seized to the inner sleeve. Anyway, what I ended up doing was heat up the bolt head with a propane torch. Then get the next size allan key and hammer it in hard while the bolt is hot. Let it cool down for like 20mins and then is should be stuck in there enough to unscrew the bolt.

I'm assuming you cant get visegrips around it because it is in the collar of the coilover so its flush with the collar?? If not that may be your other option.

5gluder
04-08-2004, 12:41 AM
I don't have access to a torch. Also the screw is under the surface so i can't grip it with a vice or pliers. I could drill it but don't want to risk messing up the perch.

Ducati
04-08-2004, 12:45 AM
What was the grade of bolt? Are you able to drill a small hole through the middle without damaging the threads of the hole?

Every broken bolt seems to be a brand new problem, as far as my hamfisted experience has been. I agree with the others who suggest that heat should work, unless it is one of those black hi-tensile bolts. Tapping it with a drift might shock it into relinquishing its grip on the inner diameter threads, and you might be able to ease it out a bit at a time.
Ingenuity (and sometimes sheer rage) prevails!

I hate broken bolts. I now overcompensate by putting copper seal on everything with threads so stuff comes apart easily again. I am not sure if this is the best thing to do, however so far nothing has come apart and I have not had those bolts break.

maximus
04-08-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by 5gluder
Also the screw is under the surface so i can't grip it with a vice or pliers. I could drill it but don't want to risk messing up the perch.

Thats what I thought.

As for the torch, just a small propane one does the trick. I have one handy in my garage now for these purposes. The ones that you can get from like Home Depot or Rona.

I'm guessing you are going to bring it to the pros. If you need a place try Rite Price brake and muffler. Talk to Dexter. Its a muffler/mechanic place but he's good at odd little things. He has helped me in countless odd job/fixes that other places just laugh at or always go for the easiest (for them) conclusion of "your only option is to buy a new one".

barmanjay
04-08-2004, 02:21 AM
depending on how small the bolt is,..
this is what I did to remove a bolt/screw with a stripped head:

(happened to me on a few car, mostly engine parts)

find a robertson screwdriver attachment (square), bigger than the stripped hex hole, find a drill bit just a smidge smaller than the hex hole;
drill about 1/8 " deeper, take the robertson head, and tap/pound in with a hammer (depending on the strength of the metal - you want the whole robertson head to be in there)
Get your rachet set, attach to the robertson screwdriver attachment, and slowly undo the bolt. If it strips again, you'll have to drill it out, then tap'n die it.
That's all I can offer - this has worked 8 out of 10 times for me.