PDA

View Full Version : How you learn about cars?

Stratus_Power
10-07-2002, 12:03 AM
like how u learn how to do stuff like taking apart the interior or making your own sub box to stuff like installing stuff on your own?? did you learn it yourself as you read along? or let someone do it first then u try to copy? or you watch your friends do it so many times that when its your turn you know exactly wat to do? or......................

infamous
10-07-2002, 12:06 AM
i dunno...my knowledge of things has come from a combonation of all of the things that you said, not to mention watching people screw up their stuff!! :rofl: but as time goes on, you get to learn more and more stuff about cars....

Ben
10-07-2002, 01:10 AM
Well, with my car I just learn on the fly...heh, its pretty hit or miss.

Alot has to do with experience, you can read all you want about it, but untill you actually se it taking place...your lost.

I ask alot of questions...I dont care, and so alot of people as well are to hold accountable for much I have learned...for example, Leo and the Discussion of Mothers and older women, I will forever have the "Berry" analogy burrned into my brain....

ninjak84
10-07-2002, 02:43 AM
take a course in high school, and help your dad rebuild engines.
worked for me:)
though the whole turbo concept is still in the works.....

turboMiata
10-07-2002, 10:48 AM
I have the factory mechanic's repair manual for all my cars. it helps a lot with instructions on disassembly, torque settings, tolerances, etc.

they are not cheap, but certainly the best investment i've ever made. if you want to do anything on your car more significant than putting a K&N filtercharger, get the factory manual.

BTW, my experience with Haynes manuals have been horrible.

LaughingTiger
10-07-2002, 10:49 AM
TRIAL.....and....ERROR

qwesterra
10-07-2002, 12:42 PM
I aint gonna lie, I learned 75% of my engine knowledge, from ripping my piece of shit vans apart, and workin on them. I learned 90% of my tuning knowledge from ConVict! Thanks Con you da shiznit! And I learned all of my supercar and exotics from my love for toyz! Care to try my out on a few?

James
10-07-2002, 01:36 PM
I've Learned alot of Stuff about fixing Cars from Freinds/Dad, I Replaced the Head Gasket on My Duster when i was 15 with the help of my Dad, That was a pretty Big Job, and all we used was the Hanes Manual:thumbsup: ....Ive come to Learn that they arnt THAT great though, if i keep my car, i Will have to buy the Factory Manual...Like Laughing Tiger Said its all Trial and Error!

turboMiata
10-07-2002, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by qwesterra
I aint gonna lie, I learned 75% of my engine knowledge, from ripping my piece of shit vans apart, and workin on them. I learned 90% of my tuning knowledge from ConVict! Thanks Con you da shiznit! And I learned all of my supercar and exotics from my love for toyz! Care to try my out on a few?

Oh yeah, that reminds me of Pick Your Part!!! I usually go there to practice on one of their cars before doing it on my Audi. Too bad they don't have any miatas there!

GTS Jeff
10-07-2002, 01:43 PM
i read beyond. and as for building your own sub boxes...u can try, but if u want it to sound right, they need to be designed to proper specs using formulas and shit.

Audi Kid
10-07-2002, 01:46 PM
haha you learnt from convict? haha thats funny! no offence conner....heh

three.eighteen.
10-07-2002, 01:50 PM
i figured out alot of car stuff from reading mags and matching pictures to what i want to learn...alot of it is spending time under the hood or under the car, just spend time around it...youll get it eventually (and theres so much more to learn always too)

qwesterra
10-07-2002, 11:44 PM
Hey Mike is that you? Audi kid? If it is, then you got nothing to say, if anyone drives an 88 Caravan, I had to replace the water pump, that was an 18 hour job! Also on that can, I have replaced the from drive train and transaxle, as well as the whole tranny! (who thought a curb could do so much!) I have replaced both the insides of my doors, on my other van, the starter, flywheel, the top half of the engine, the whole brake line, the starter, the brakes, the starter, crankshaft, the cam shaft, and all the components for both, the starter, alternator, alternator, starter, intake system, the fuel injection, and all the little goodies. As for the alternator and starter, if anyone knows about my van they know it is the flaming death mobile and the electrical system likes to catch fire! I keep notes on everything I do! I still think both of these vehicles are a waste of time and effort, but I have the time, but not the money for new ones! You can keep any ford believe it or not alive, if you know what you are doing! Unfortunately, I learned it, as well as for the dodge, what pieces of crap!