PDA

View Full Version : My bad luck today... any advice would be appreciated.

traptor
04-08-2004, 12:56 PM
Today I got stopped for going 124 in a 70 ( a back road in ontario that was 70 for some unknown reason) none the less I got a ticket but its a court apperence the officer who stopped me said it would likely be bettre because the crown probably wouldnt do to much since my record is clean ... But has anyone ever been through something like this?.. any suggestions for me?.. anything would be great... also how big of a deal is a ticket like that?

Gonthro
04-08-2004, 01:03 PM
well first getting a tocket for doing 124 in a 70 is probably good luck for you, better than ending up in a tree or another vehicle or soemthing.... second, most of us are albertans, so the laws mught be diffrent...

but just goto the CP and explain that you have a clean record and you;d like it to stay that way, its likely they will drop the demerits but you will still have to pay the $$$

traptor
04-08-2004, 01:10 PM
alright...so would I just go to the court house and ask to see the cp?.. or what would I do.. and 124 isnt that fast on a back road.. im not justifying myself cause it was my fault but ppl go much faster on them then that .. but It was my stupid mistake.. I just dont want points... and also there is not fine on my ticket.. just says I have to go to court... not till june though .. the officer said that it was good cause the crown probably wont be to hard and what not... so any other suggestions would be awesome

ryder_23
04-08-2004, 01:13 PM
You got a pink ticket? if so, i dont think you can go talk to the CP, you have to goto your court date, because its a mandatory appearance because you were 50 over...was it rcmp?

traptor
04-08-2004, 01:15 PM
nope o.p.p. .... liek it wasnt a big deal when he stopped me... like a normal ticket.. only I was going 54 over... which sucks cause thats 6 points...... just a yellow slip.. he was saying something about talking to the crown and what not.... so Im not sure what to do.. I just hope its not a huge deal

Gonthro
04-08-2004, 01:29 PM
how long have you had your license?, 50 over is a suspension here if you are still under your probationary period

traptor
04-08-2004, 01:33 PM
ya Ive had my g2 for 1 year and a half.. Im 18... but if it was a suspension Im sure the cop would have told me.. it ws like a normal ticket only he said I had to be in court etc... so I doubt a suspension

ehos
04-08-2004, 01:33 PM
50 over is a suspension regardless of probation.

You're gonna get a BIG fine and 1 month suspended (if you were in Alberta). Probably same in ON.

Hakkola
04-08-2004, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by traptor
.. and 124 isnt that fast on a back road..

Whatever you say, don't say that.

traptor
04-08-2004, 01:39 PM
Im not sure about a suspension.... like you probably know more than me but it doesnt make sense to let me drive for 3 months then get a suspension... but ya.. Like can I talk to a cp or someone that would help me out any?...

traptor
04-08-2004, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

Whatever you say, don't say that.

haha ya ... I thought that might stirr up some hatred toward me.. Like I understand what I did was totally illigal.. but all I was saying with that is 124 isnt really that that fast. for a backroad... i deserve what I got but I mean Im sure most people have been going 124 if not faster then that.. on a backroad before.. but ya thanks for the heads up

Weapon_R
04-08-2004, 01:51 PM
This ticket is nearly impossible to fight - there is no judge that i've ever encountered that will dismiss this because of a clean record.

Invest in a lawyer - you're going to need it.

traptor
04-08-2004, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
This ticket is nearly impossible to fight - there is no judge that i've ever encountered that will dismiss this because of a clean record.

Invest in a lawyer - you're going to need it.

I dont relaly think I need a lawyer... and Im not expecting a judge to dismiss it... now I odnt know about in calgary but in Ontario the judge doesnt have that much say.. its almost all up to teh crown attorney.. they will be the ones processing this case.... they see it all the time ... they iwll look at it the night before and prepare.. i mean no disrespect but saying i will need a lawyer is kind of intense.. i just hope to reduce it to mabye a 200 fine and 4 points

Ben
04-08-2004, 01:56 PM
When the cop writes you a ticket for going that fast it doesn't say suspend licence where the fine is supposed to be, that is because the fine schedual ends at 50km over, after that, it is the judges ruling on what punishment you recieve which In My opinion would be a 30 day suspension and "a couple a few" demerits. if you plan on driving again, I would hire a lawyer. I know POINTTS has an office in ontario...I would give them a call.

www.pointts.ca

Trust me, I know first hand, 77 over on the highway out here netted a 575 dollar fine, 45 day suspension and 6 demerits. With lawyer it was a 350 dollar fine and 6 demerits, no suspension.

traptor
04-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Ben I really appreciate your advice... but if I hired a lawyer how much would it be?... and also would he just go to my hearing as council?... the cop said I didnt have to go as long as council or a representative went... but ya basically what would the lawyer argue and how much would he be?

dogmaiwli
04-08-2004, 02:15 PM
I Agree with BEN

Lawyer up, (call "points" or the equivelent in ontario)
It will be worth it in the long run, Unless of course You like taking the bus, or paying stupid insurance rates

Gonthro
04-08-2004, 02:17 PM
yea, goto pointts website, they can give you a free quote

ryder_23
04-08-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by ehos
50 over is a suspension regardless of probation.

You're gonna get a BIG fine and 1 month suspended (if you were in Alberta). Probably same in ON.

didnt bart get a 50 over ticket? pretty sure he didnt get a suspension :dunno:

Strider
04-08-2004, 04:22 PM
Go talk to the Crown Prosecutor in your area, and beg for mercy... if that doesn't work, then get yourself a lawyer.

joegrang
04-08-2004, 07:12 PM
Speeding 50 over is called speeding in excess... It means that u were going so fast that there was no real explanation for it... Get a lawyer... I got caught going 61 over the limit... In the end it cost me 750 dollars and 4 demerits.. Good luck

traptor
04-09-2004, 12:22 AM
Ya I appreciate all the advice ... thanks to everyone but Ive got a lawyer and I was going 124 (which is not abonornmally fast) in a 70.. my stupid mistake that ill have to deal with... but apparently Ive heard from ppl ion my area that if I talk to the CP that there is a good chance Ill make off with 200 max and a no points cause it was my first offense.. none the less it was my fault and any reprocusions are justified

Weapon_R
04-09-2004, 12:26 AM
I'd love to hear an update :)

Ben
04-09-2004, 02:05 AM
Originally posted by traptor
Ya I appreciate all the advice ... thanks to everyone but Ive got a lawyer and I was going 124 (which is not abonornmally fast) in a 70.. my stupid mistake that ill have to deal with... but apparently Ive heard from ppl ion my area that if I talk to the CP that there is a good chance Ill make off with 200 max and a no points cause it was my first offense.. none the less it was my fault and any reprocusions are justified

#%^&, then you ontarioans are LAX when it comes to traffic fines. when you get a court summons in this province or BC...bring the waterbased, non caloric, non residue anal lube, cause they're gonna give it to ya hard.

traptor
04-09-2004, 03:41 PM
well I guess you have to remember that in Ontario we have more people than any other province... or courts are packed... I got my ticket yesterday and I dont go to june 10th thats how much the court huose is packed.. and thats in a city of 30 000 ... so thats pretty crazy... I will update when I talk to the CP let everyone know what happens.. thanks again

Z_Fan
04-09-2004, 03:47 PM
I thought (in Alberta anyhow) 50 over was a mandatory court appearance, mandatory 1 month suspension, big fine...AND I thought it could also or is also considered a Criminal Charge, not just under the Highway Traffic Act...but the Criminal Code...

Anyone know this for sure?

Z_Fan
04-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Since you are in Ontario, I found this site...

http://www.OntarioTrafficTickets.com/

This is posted in part of the FAQ...

Q. Will this traffic ticket affect my insurance rates?

A. Insurance companies are now accessing your driving record to increase your insurance rates. Even minor convictions will be placed on your driving record, to be used against you.

Insurance companies look at convictions, not just what your tickets are to increase your rates. For example although one minor speeding ticket for traveling 10 or 20 over the limit probably wouldn’t increase your rates, having a minor ticket for not having your insurance card would be considered a second conviction which would send your rates up.

If you get involved in an accident with any of these minor convictions on your record, expect your rates to at least double.
Traffic tickets like, Careless Driving, Speeding more than 50km over the limit, Fail to Remain, and Failing to Stop for a School Bus, will automatically make your insurance rates double or triple!

Insurance rates have been known to soar from $1000 to $10,000+ as a result of Traffic Tickets!

---

Get a lawyer, don't piss around with this one...

Edit: (Added)

I just read back through and noticed you 'think' you don't need a lawyer. (But now have one) Quite often a lawyer can do things quickly, and easily - things you can't do. Because you're just joe schmoe off the street, and the lawyer will very likely have a relationship with the crown. The crown may not be willing to even discuss it with you, just decide to really aggressively pursue your case if you annoy them, or insult them in your attempt to reduce the charge. However, the lawyer and crown might be pals! At very least, they will know each other, and have dealt with each other in the past. One may owe the other a favour, etc. You never know! Might even be a situation where they go golfing on the weekends, you know what I mean? The point here is that this is a big deal, and you don't want to have to pay for this (via insurance) for years to come. You don't want to just get this ticket reduced, though that would be a good bargain, you want to find a way OUT of this, and that's why you need a lawyer.

Good luck, be smart.