PDA

View Full Version : 240/180/Silvia Question

Ferio_vti
10-07-2002, 10:40 AM
Was wondering about the last gen of 240sx in North America, from 95 to 98, S14 platform. Did we actually get the later version in Canada? I've seen a few in town, are they conversions or the real??

Early version:
http://www.infini-d.co.jp/img/03_4_2.jpg

Later version:
http://tarp.worldserve.net/240sx/Image5.jpg

GTS Jeff
10-07-2002, 10:57 AM
We got the S13 and S14, but not the S15.

Hipermax_d
10-07-2002, 11:13 AM
we got both the models. the one with the roundish square lights and the meaner looking square lights

Ferio_vti
10-07-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Hipermax_d
we got both the models. the one with the roundish square lights and the meaner looking square lights

Thank you.

three.eighteen.
10-07-2002, 01:55 PM
too bad we didnt get the meaner engine...:banghead:

Tux
10-07-2002, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by three.eighteen.
too bad we didnt get the meaner engine...:banghead:

If you want to drop an SR20DET engine in it should only cost you about 4 -5 G's for the engine and tranny. Not overly bad for a 250 bhp unit...

Seanith
10-07-2002, 05:59 PM
Yeah i've seen a couple with the mean looking headlights..those are still s14s and still look tight as hell.:hitit:

Madmax
10-07-2002, 06:00 PM
240 from 95-96 S14
240 from 97-98 S14A

SpeedStar
10-07-2002, 06:06 PM
If you wanna turbo them do you have to drop a silvia engine in it or is there turbo kits available for them? I think it would make a sweet project for the older 240's (?89-91?)

Later

Hollywood
10-07-2002, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by Madmax
240 from 95-96 S14
240 from 97-98 S14A

95-96 s14
97-98 s14mc (minor change)
99-02 s15 (Across the ocean only, parts of europe, Austrailia, Asia Etc..Same with the skyline, so next time you go to england ask your buddy for a ride in his GTR!)

Originally posted by SpeedStar
If you wanna turbo them do you have to drop a silvia engine in it or is there turbo kits available for them? I think it would make a sweet project for the older 240's (?89-91?)

Later

Lot's of turbo kits but they all cost the same as the SR engine for the most part. And your KA24DE needs to be in good shape for a turbo kit. With a KA you can put down some serious numbers. Lot's of torque.

SpoonEK9@STRD
10-07-2002, 08:09 PM
Lot's of turbo kits but they all cost the same as the SR engine for the most part. And your KA24DE needs to be in good shape for a turbo kit. With a KA you can put down some serious numbers. Lot's of torque.

Yeah the 24de can produce some good numbers with low psi... turbo magazines was pumpin out 300Whp on 7psi

RiceCake
10-07-2002, 11:03 PM
Hmm... wouldn't it be more logical to go with the sr20det swap than to turbo the Ka? If the costs are approximately the same, wouldn't the sr be more reliable as it is a factory turboed engine? :confused:

three.eighteen.
10-07-2002, 11:11 PM
yeah the article about the guy t/c'ing his KA24 was half about how many times he failed blowing this and that...in the end it would have been cheaper for him to get an sr20

Hollywood
10-08-2002, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by RiceCake
Hmm... wouldn't it be more logical to go with the sr20det swap than to turbo the Ka? If the costs are approximately the same, wouldn't the sr be more reliable as it is a factory turboed engine? :confused:

No matter what the SR factory turbo engine, is better off than the KA for reliability, no one can tell me different. Nice thing about SR's too there are all ready proven power recipies available like this one for example.

SR + t3/t4 + 550 injectors + 300zx MAF+ S-AFC/others = +350WHP/350WTQ, with spoolups in the 4000K range. Add your 17% drive train loss and get +409.5 crank HP.

FYI The 240/silvia in it's time had the most advanced real wheel drive setup in the JDM market place. This, and the weight diff, is how lower HP 240's beat higher HP supras. The SR is by far the most impressive engine I have seen yet in the 4 cyl range.

If I can rip ship up with a measly stock t25 and hit the 240-250RWHP, though a bigger turbo on and that's when shit starts getting crazy. Stock bottom end is solid till 400HP'ish

ConVict
10-08-2002, 12:45 AM
I know this is off topic, but I heard you talk about the best 4 cyl engine and it made me think...
You ever heard of the Fe3 mazda motor...
Its top and bottom end can handle more then 550 crank hp, all you need to upgrade is the pistons, and fuel system!
IT has two intake plenums , which comes close to doubling your boost level once the engine hits 5000 rpm, and can rev to 8500rpm stock...
The turbo edition came with 250 hp at 12 psi, and 230 tq i think...
SO it doest put out as much torque i dont believe... but you can find this engine kicking around all over the place for a 1000 canadian and NO ONE knows its potential
A friend of mine is getting 450whp with 22psi , with half pumpgas/half 106 octane fuel... and his only upgrades are turbo/intercooler/fuel system/ECU/and pistons...
Its a 2.0 16 vavle FWD engine..
Im not arguing in case you might think I am.... I want to get specks on the sr20det because Im intrested in a RWD 4 cyl turboed application in the future....
But has any of you heard or done any research on the capabilities of the FE3 ?

Hollywood
10-08-2002, 09:01 AM
Originally posted by ConVict
I know this is off topic, but I heard you talk about the best 4 cyl engine and it made me think...
You ever heard of the Fe3 mazda motor...
Its top and bottom end can handle more then 550 crank hp, all you need to upgrade is the pistons, and fuel system!
IT has two intake plenums , which comes close to doubling your boost level once the engine hits 5000 rpm, and can rev to 8500rpm stock...
The turbo edition came with 250 hp at 12 psi, and 230 tq i think...
SO it doest put out as much torque i dont believe... but you can find this engine kicking around all over the place for a 1000 canadian and NO ONE knows its potential
A friend of mine is getting 450whp with 22psi , with half pumpgas/half 106 octane fuel... and his only upgrades are turbo/intercooler/fuel system/ECU/and pistons...
Its a 2.0 16 vavle FWD engine..
Im not arguing in case you might think I am.... I want to get specks on the sr20det because Im intrested in a RWD 4 cyl turboed application in the future....
But has any of you heard or done any research on the capabilities of the FE3 ?

When you have to upgrade pistons, it is no longer STOCK bottom end.

I'm not starting a war of the 4 cyl engines. I'm just saying IMO from what turbo cars I have been in or driven this one is the most impressive. Have to remember 1 thing this is a JDM motor so the rules of engine building are different than here, kinda like why certian german cars are faster in say europe but get toned down here to North America.

nookmumracing
10-08-2002, 09:28 AM
With 4 cylinder turbo motors, a couple of the strongest motors built are the SR20DET(240,180) from Nissan and the 3SGTE(MR2, AWD Celica) from Toyota. I think most motors have potential if you build it right but these 2 motors are strong from the get go so you don't need as many reinforcements until you go buck wild. The SR20DET does have a better platform to work from. The MR2 is the worst to work on mechanically becuase of the cramped mid engine space. The 240 you got lots of room to play around.

Peace

Aleks
10-08-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Hollywood (2)

When you have to upgrade pistons, it is no longer STOCK bottom end.

I'm not starting a war of the 4 cyl engines. I'm just saying IMO from what turbo cars I have been in or driven this one is the most impressive. Have to remember 1 thing this is a JDM motor so the rules of engine building are different than here, kinda like why certian german cars are faster in say europe but get toned down here to North America.

Hehe I have a KA24DE. But I think the altima is the only one that actually won't accept the SR20DET engine. Do you think putting a turbo on the KA would be even worth it?

SpoonEK9@STRD
10-08-2002, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by altima

Hehe I have a KA24DE. But I think the altima is the only one that actually won't accept the SR20DET engine. Do you think putting a turbo on the KA would be even worth it?

what are you talking about? your car comes stock with a sr20det in japan...blue bird...

Aleks
10-08-2002, 09:58 AM
It sure does. But that's in Japan. Here it's the KA24DE :( and I haven't seen a single SR20DET swap. People say it's not possible due to the design of the engine bay or something like that.

Hollywood
10-08-2002, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by altima
It sure does. But that's in Japan. Here it's the KA24DE :( and I haven't seen a single SR20DET swap. People say it's not possible due to the design of the engine bay or something like that.

Ya same here never heard of an SR in a Altima. Only sentra's, NX's, and infinity g20's, for FWD. They get the blue bird or pulsar GTI-R motor. The GTI-R is a 1.8L ass kicking machine.

ConVict
10-08-2002, 09:12 PM
How much are you looking for a S15 conversion, so engine, turbo, ecu, tranny, lights, fender, bumper ??
anyone got any ideas

Hollywood
10-08-2002, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by ConVict
How much are you looking for a S15 conversion, so engine, turbo, ecu, tranny, lights, fender, bumper ??
anyone got any ideas

Hahaha....tonnes O cash dude. Probly would cost over 40K including your car and lightly modified.

Tux
10-08-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by Hollywood (2)

Hahaha....tonnes O cash dude. Probly would cost over 40K including your car and lightly modified.

It'd probably be a little cheaper to do an S14 conversion since the body panels, fenders, chins, etc are a little more readily available than S15 parts. That and I can't remember if there was any design changes from the S14 to the S15, so a S14 body with S15 pannels on it may look a little odd...

Actually, if all you want is performance, get an old S13 chassis, drop a SR20DET engine in it, and do some minor stuff, and it should only cost you about $8 - $10 K unmodded if you do the drop-in yourself. Buddy of mine just did that this summer, it doesn't look like a pimp mobile, but it's got some balls to it. A real sleeper ride.