PDA

View Full Version : Protege vs Acura EL

grassmunk
04-09-2004, 11:04 AM
Ok folks. Im really on the fence with this. Ive got two cars here that i really LOVE but i cant decide which one i want. Any help with swaying my decision would be appreciated:

http://tinyurl.com/3enlk <- Acura
http://tinyurl.com/2kbvh <- Mazda Protoge

Both i can get for about the same price range. Ive taken them both out for a few test drives. I dunno what to do. Im getting the vins tomoro to run through carfax but im still really indecisive cause they're both nice cars. Help me out... please?

( Don't worry those links are real and they point to autotrader but the autotrader url was HUGE! )

xkon
04-09-2004, 11:16 AM
the acura is nicer in my opinion, but the protege has a bit more torque... its a toss up... i like the P5 wagons more than the 4 door protege...

acura!

Skyline_Addict
04-09-2004, 04:53 PM
Hi, I own a 1.7 Acura EL.
I've only rode in my friend's Protege, but have never driven on.
So, I'll tell you about the EL.
first off compare the names.
Acura vs. Mazda.
I think Acura has better quality, better reputation (when comparing two similar cars) and good service. The name Acura, in itself is something to consider. You are pretty much guaranteed to have a good quality car, especially if bought brand new.
If you're not worried about performance, the EL is better hands down. Better looks, comfortability, quality and reliability.
On top of that, the Protege (sedan) isn't really noticeably faster.
But I've been blabbering too much about my car.
the one you're looking at is a 1.6EL.
I rode in my friends...it has the exact same engine as the 1.7, but less torque. The interior is EXACTLY the same as the 4 door civic of the same year, unless u get leather interior.
It's pretty much a honda, but you're getting acura specifications.
Both cars are equally fast (or slow, depending on how you see it).
The Acura is nicer, better quality/reputation.
But the Mazda is newer.
It really is a toss up.
But I'd say go the Acura, for the aforementioned reasons.