PDA

View Full Version : Shin Splints?

Shaolin
04-09-2004, 11:43 AM
my soccer club's been running outdoor practices for the past month now so it was time to throw in the indoors and take out the outdoor boots.. I notice the first week of training that my left shin is just hurtin like a bitch when I run for about 1/2 hour.. I did a search on google for the symptoms i'm having and it seems to related to shin splints..

any of you have this problem? i don't know what to do.. I bought a pair of orthodics 2 years ago for walking and that solved the problem with my feet hurting after walking for a long time.. but it didn't do any good with running.. I wore my outdoor soccer boots, and my cross trainers to see if it was the shoes.. and well, it's not..

Anyways, for those of you who have this problem or know what the hell to do, i'd like to know.. I don't want to spend another 300 bones on a set of orthodics specifically for running, but if that's what i have to do then that's what i have to do.. thanx.

xkon
04-09-2004, 11:53 AM
keep running, they'll go away eventually... when i started running i had the same problem, its just something your legs will get used to!

QuasarCav
04-09-2004, 12:28 PM
I had this problem when i was in the reserves, hurts like a bitch eh....

Well i found out i was tying my shoelaces to tight, and that they would just go away after time.

Try doing the stretch where you kneel down and bend your torso back.(hard to explain without pics) it feels good and gives your shin muscles some stretching!:clap:

Shaolin
04-09-2004, 12:34 PM
ok cool, thanx guys.

Edit: Yeah it does hurt like a bitch.. I had to walk home because i couldn't run anymore.

A_3
04-09-2004, 03:58 PM
k, my sister dances alot and had this problem to, she told me this exercise to get rid of em. The only way to loose the shin splints is to re-strengthen your shins. Sit on a chair with both feet on the ground, then lift one foot without taking your heel off the ground and tap it repeatedly until it begins to hurt. Then do the same thing on the on the next foot (it's pretty much just tapping your foot) i didn't believe her till i tried it but it begins to hurt like a bitch. Try to do each foot five times a day. She says it should take care of your splints real quick!:thumbsup:

PGTze
04-09-2004, 04:19 PM
your screwed, I've been dealing with shin splints for the last 2 years. The only thing that will help is rest. And no they will not just go away, it will only get worse, all your can do is suck it up and try to block it out, you kinda get used to it after a while.

Melinda
04-09-2004, 04:32 PM
I had shin splints in high school and I dealt with them alot when I was in sports med. Rest will take care of it pretty well and there is a shin splint tape job for you leg that will virtually take the pain away when you are excercising. It's hard to explain on here but try and find some instructions online for it. Also, like it was said, stretching will help it out as well as good, cushioned shoes that absorb the impact (the impact from running or jumping is one of the main causes of shin splits). Good luck with making it work, they hurt like hell :(

Shaolin
04-09-2004, 06:15 PM
dammit.. i can't really run on the soccer field for 1/2 hour and say, ok i gota rest so i'm just going to walk it off :rofl::rofl:

hmm i'll see how it goes, we have a practice tomorrow, wednesday and next sunday..

thanx for the input guys.

hockeybronx
04-09-2004, 09:56 PM
Another thing is that you are more likely to cause shin splints if you are running on pavement while you are training. If you have been running on pavement try to start running on grass as much as possible.

I'm so lucky I go for a 45-60 minute run almost every second day and although I stretch for 20 minutes before, I have never had any leg problems at all.

pughster
04-16-2004, 09:20 PM
hey,
the same thing used to happen to me every time i made the indoor outdoor switch. What honestly worked for me was buying a pair of predators. I don't know why, but they seemed to do the trick. Mine are getting old so i'm looking at the new f50's. Shoes are key. But while you still have the shin splints taping them can be very effective. I took a sports injuriy class and it's fairly simple to do. Other than that stretch and rest. I know how much of a bitch they are on the field. Good luck.