PDA

View Full Version : Crowfoot Dodge!

Davetronz
10-07-2002, 04:02 PM
Just got back from taking my car for service. She was really acting up last night after the cruise, oil light was flashing, really low power band and everything.... So I booked her into service!

I took her to Crowfoot Dodge, and Ben helped me out, got an oil change and a full inspection done on my car! Turns out the last time it was in for service at a Dodge dealer was January 2002, which was one long time ago. Since the owner only took it to Dodge, it was well in need for some TLC.

Anyways, I got an oil and filter and lube done, and that seemed to solve the problem with the oil light (the advisor said it was probably that I wasnt using a very good filter and the oil was well over needing to be changed!....

As far as the inspection, the only things that were found wrong with my car:
1) I need brakes, which I knew, as they have been pulsating for a while now. No biggie there.
2) I dont have high beam headlights..... Yay, fun more electrical. I didnt know this.
3) Right rear wheel bearing is making some noise, but is in ok range.
4) My steering gear/pump is leaking =( This is an expensive fix apparently, around $1600 for the gear. So I think I will try to get my dad to fix this......
5) My horn (I had never tried it) only works 15% of the time, and it is really weak.
6) My exhaust heat sheild is rattling.
7) And my tires will need replacing in a couple months!

My turbo is working great they tell me, and my turbo timing belt is in perfect shape, my car is up to date on recalls, and has never, and is not experiencing any symptoms of Crankwalk!

I would like to give props to Ben at Crowfoot Dodge for helping me out. I feel that I put my money to good use today, and after that oil change, my engine is much quieter, and runs a whole lot better! Now I also have peace of mind that my car is crankwalk free, and that there is no major problems :)

cocoabrova
10-07-2002, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by TurboDSM
my turbo timing belt is in perfect shape

Turbo timing belt?? Can anyone explain this to me??? :rolleyes: :werd:

jus' buggin' man:poosie: :rofl:

95TsiAWD
10-07-2002, 05:05 PM
sheesh Tom and I would have done all that for 75% of the cost and we'd have gotten you a bunch of extra horsepower. Shameless plug for DSM Power's garage ;)

Fluidic
10-07-2002, 05:40 PM
Now I also have peace of mind that my car is crankwalk free,

What's this you say?? http://www.newveedub.com/ubb/graemlins/spy.gif

Cheers!

Peter

DSM Power
10-07-2002, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by 95TsiAWD
sheesh Tom and I would have done all that for 75% of the cost and we'd have gotten you a bunch of extra horsepower. Shameless plug for DSM Power's garage ;)
LOL, I think I'll start charging... how's $10 / hour sound? :D

Now Dave about those problems you mentioned....

1) I need brakes -
Not my area of expertise, but I'll bet Speedy is cheaper than the dealer. ;)

2) I dont have high beam headlights -
Are the bulbs just burnt out? Otherwise check the light harness or maybe the fuse.

3) Right rear wheel bearing is making some noise -
Well as long as it's not howling it'll be ok.

4) My steering gear/pump is leaking -
Where is it leaking? In the lines or the actual pump. In some cases it's cheaper to top off the fluid than to fix it. :tongue:

5) My horn only works 15% of the time, and it is really weak -
Yeah the stock horns SUCK. But you can replace them yourself with ones from CanadianTrash for about $20.

6) My exhaust heat sheild is rattling -
Might be a loose bolt or you could take it off (the top one that is).

7) And my tires will need replacing in a couple months -
Ah yeah, can't cheap out there... get new ones. :)

Anything else we can help you with? :D :burnout:
BTW, did you just get the oil & filter done yesterday? You really should get all the tranny & t-case fluids changed too! :eek:

90_Shelby
10-07-2002, 07:36 PM
You don't know how to change brakes and your giving mechanical advice??????????:rolleyes:

Davetronz
10-07-2002, 08:23 PM
Got it done today. Sorry if the post is kinda hard to understand. I am a computer technician afterall..... :rolleyes: Not a car mechanic!

Hey Tom, you can help ;) I need advice on getting rid of my stock airbox, and what paint to use to detail my engine, and where to get some decent colored wire loom, and how to get one of those breathers and what I have to disconnect, and little stuff I can do to get some performance boosts ;)

David

CLiVE
10-07-2002, 08:46 PM

I already have DSM Power's garage booked for this coming weekend....lol (Right Tom?)

ninspeed
10-07-2002, 09:49 PM
Ohhh dsm power garage??? i can help out if ya need... i got a heafty amout of tools.. a few tricks up my sleves and a big old hammer!!!

Arthur Dent
10-07-2002, 10:15 PM
I hate Dodge dealerships. Worse service. Honda a close 2nd.

95TsiAWD
10-07-2002, 10:38 PM
Damn I'm gone this weekend, so much for ripping the stealth apart.
Brakes are easy, 1 hour of work per "side" (with sides being front/back. This includes running out to get the rotors machined ;) )
as far as free mods, www.vfaq.com

CLiVE
10-07-2002, 10:48 PM
Brakes are easy, 1 hour of work per "side" (with sides being front/back. This includes running out to get the rotors machined ;) )

ha ha....you can help us rip it apart next time....now where's that vfaq???

Davetronz
10-07-2002, 10:56 PM
Thanks for the link! I wanna do that BOV dump tube cut, but I will need help as I dont wanna fuck anything up! :) Looks like some really interesting stuff on there. How much louder without that tube.

I apologize but I didnt catch your name on Sunday either.

Dave

speedracer
10-07-2002, 11:05 PM
Crowfoot is ok so long as you get the right service advisor. I had a small grief there before when they wouldn't warranty a TSB tellimg me that they don't listen to TSB report:guns:

Renfrew is great so long as you know the Mech that is working on the car :thumbsup:

Varscity - Stay away:thumbsdow

95TsiAWD
10-08-2002, 08:21 AM
actually I found my BOV was quieter after the dump tube cut but you get more air through the intake so you'll make more power. Hmmmm rice or power which would I choose (that should be an easy ? for anyone that's seen my POS ;) ) ?

DSM Power
10-08-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by memystealthandi

I already have DSM Power's garage booked for this coming weekend....lol (Right Tom?)
Yup - I guess I'd better stay in town for the long weekend hey? :D

Dave - where do you want to start? It's always best to fix your mechanical problems and get the car in top shape before modding it. :) And you won't notice any noise difference with chopping the BOV dumptube, except maybe quieter. You'll have to open up the intake with a cone filter & a real blow off valve first. ;)

95TsiAWD - sorry you're going to miss the fun but we've spent enough time slaving on your car lately anyways. :tongue:

90_Shelby - what's up? I don't know *everything* and never claimed to... haven't had a chance to do my own brakes (notice the spelling LOL) yet. :rolleyes:

As for dealerships, stay far far away from Varcity..... grrrr! :banghead:

Taloness
10-08-2002, 11:51 AM
You know, I had to laugh when I ready this thread . . . left part ofmy heat shielding on the highway between Calgary and Airdrie :eek: however, it just does to prove that DSM's are self-mending! Hahaha...

:dunno:

DSM Power
10-08-2002, 01:30 PM
Welcome aboard Taloness! :D :love: ;) We met some of your RX-7 buds this weekend at the meeting. Funny how turbo types always end up hanging out together. :thumbsup:

Mikaldor
10-08-2002, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Taloness
however, it just does to prove that DSM's are self-mending! Hahaha...

:dunno:

First post on the dark side Taloness. :)

Does the DSM Power's garage work on other cars other than DSM's???

95TsiAWD
10-08-2002, 04:46 PM
Other than DSMs? Hmm that might put the jinx on the place... :thumbsdow
Although Tom does park his Mazda in there :rofl:

CLiVE
10-08-2002, 04:58 PM
Other than DSMs? Hmm that might put the jinx on the place... :thumbsdow
Although Tom does park his Mazda in there :rofl:

Not too sure.....I think we're all elite AWD "DSM" snobs.....jk.
Well it might be okay if you keep the other cars on the Mazda side???...lol. Tom, can you draft up a set of rules/guidelines or something by tomorrow AM?

95TsiAWD
10-08-2002, 05:01 PM
*sniff* :( Tom put me on the Mazda side last time so I had to get even by spilling a lake of coolant everywhere :angel:

DSM Power
10-08-2002, 09:21 PM
:rofl: Beware the Mazda power, LOL! :rofl:

I don't think we're DSM snobs - we're TURBO snobs! :D

CLiVE
10-08-2002, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power
:rofl: Beware the Mazda power, LOL! :rofl:

I don't think we're DSM snobs - we're TURBO snobs! :D

lol. if that's the case then I'm twice as bad. There just itty bitty 9b's though...

Got Turbo envy??

Davetronz
10-08-2002, 10:28 PM
Ha ha ha if DSM's are self mending, why is mine being a nice decorative paper weight on the garage floor right now instead of tearing up the streets!

Welcome Taloness :)

And yes the darkside is goooood ;) Ha ha ha turbo AWD snobs, that will keep me laughing all night as I sit looking at my car. I think I am going to brave it and take her for a ride around Edgemont and see if I can get the problem to come again. Trying to get a hold of Dope Dealer or Audi Kid so I have someone to go with.

CLiVE
10-08-2002, 10:37 PM
Explain the problem you're having again....?

Davetronz
10-08-2002, 11:02 PM
Edgemont, you live right by me then....
Explain the problem you're having again....?
Well, lets see. Right now it doesnt exist, she is being a little angel in the garage...
But the problem that exists is that when I came to a stop earlier and put in the clutch, the oil light started to flash and RPMS dropped close to stalling, had to keep revving her to keep her from stalling, which turned off the light. The oil pressure gauge is fine.

At the next light the same thing happened but worse. Felt almost like a loss of power on the start too from that light.

When I got to my driveway it was the worst, with the same symptoms. Checked the oil, its fine, and no idea what is causing it.

Taloness
10-09-2002, 10:20 AM
Dark side? Eeep! :eek:

Thanks for the warm welcome . . . I think I may know a couple people here already, so I'm keeping up!

TurboDSM - I know how you feel about the lawn ornament thing - I have a big white one right now! However, guess who will have her RX-7 (how many girls do you know that have two turbo cars - yay for me!) on the road (legally!) before snowfall? Woohoo - she will be two tone and ugly, but done!

If there is a cruise or anything planned (barring snow) in November, I'm in!

Arthur Dent
10-09-2002, 10:28 AM

Well, lets see. Right now it doesnt exist, she is being a little angel in the garage...
But the problem that exists is that when I came to a stop earlier and put in the clutch, the oil light started to flash and RPMS dropped close to stalling, had to keep revving her to keep her from stalling, which turned off the light. The oil pressure gauge is fine.

At the next light the same thing happened but worse. Felt almost like a loss of power on the start too from that light.

When I got to my driveway it was the worst, with the same symptoms. Checked the oil, its fine, and no idea what is causing it.

DSM oil filters tend to detract themselves. Is that nice and tight?

Davetronz
10-09-2002, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Arthur Dent

DSM oil filters tend to detract themselves. Is that nice and tight?
I shall go stick a filter wrench down there and give her a try in about 15 mins.

Arthur Dent
10-09-2002, 12:53 PM
try this: http://www.automobileforum.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1338

95TsiAWD
10-09-2002, 01:08 PM
it doesn't come loose from vibration though, it comes loose when you have a filter that is hard to remove and you don't tighten the housing after removing the filter.
You would notice a whole lot of oil on the ground though, that I know ;)

Davetronz
10-09-2002, 01:52 PM
Filter is nice and tight :)

lilboykorea
10-10-2002, 05:53 PM
crowfoot dodge has better service than our nw acura dealer...
that ben guy is so nice to my mom its not funny...
their machine always calls back after a service asking for our satisfaction...
good dealer indeed...

Davetronz
10-10-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by lilboykorea
crowfoot dodge has better service than our nw acura dealer...
that ben guy is so nice to my mom its not funny...
their machine always calls back after a service asking for our satisfaction...
good dealer indeed...
Ben is really nice.
And yea I got that answering machine thing tonight.... :D

ninspeed
10-10-2002, 10:41 PM
dave.. on your oil pressure sensor, is there a part number still stamped on it? if so grab that # and go to a dodge dealer and ask what the proper voltage should be on the unit.. and check it your self at home. I had a simmilar problem and it was some of the protectant on the wire had come off and was arcing a little once in awhile... so it would make my ecu think that there was no oil pressure.. put some heat shrink on it and bam!

95TsiAWD
10-10-2002, 10:54 PM
Our ECUs don't see the oil pressure though, it only outputs to the stock gauge. But yeah get it tested if it's still worrying you

Davetronz
10-11-2002, 12:00 AM
Thx Blake.
Yea I wont bother getting it tested, whatever we did seems to have fixed the problem. Maybe it was just begging to be modded ;)

CLiVE
10-14-2002, 06:04 PM
*sniff* :( Tom put me on the Mazda side last time so I had to get even by spilling a lake of coolant everywhere :angel:

Well if it makes you feel any better...he put me on the mazda side too...:( But all went well in DSM Power's garage this weekend...back up and running strong...finally. We were almost forced to do the "tennis ball mod" though...damn y-pipe gasket. (but it gives me an excuse to buy new pretty parts!!!)

Now who wants to help me swap out my transfer case???:D

Davetronz
10-14-2002, 11:20 PM
The "tennis ball mod"??????????

DSM Power
10-14-2002, 11:22 PM
Now who wants to help me swap out my transfer case???:D [/B]
Yeah, let me know when you want to do this because I will be out of town !!! :rolleyes: :angel: :rofl:

PS. I like the "chain mod" better, ha ha! :D

CLiVE
10-15-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by DSM Power

Yeah, let me know when you want to do this because I will be out of town !!! :rolleyes: :angel: :rofl:

PS. I like the "chain mod" better, ha ha! :D

DSM Power, nice sig....I want a VR4 spyder...ever notice if you hold the shift key down you get VR$....coincidence...I think not...

awww.....come on. For 2 newbie mechanics we didn't do all that bad??? Probably will get the TC done by professionals..$$$$$..

Here is a pic of the "chain mod" lol. Yes, us 3S (3000gt/Stealth) guys do have some ghetto mods. One of the problems a lot of people run into on a 3S is at higher boost levels the y-pipe has a tendency to blow off....you hear a lot pop, and then loose all of your power steering/braking...very scary....had something similar happen to me before.

The "tennis ball" mod is simply shoving a tennis ball between the battery and the y-pipe to stop the y-pipe from blowing off.....the "chain mod" does the same thing....

-Fortunately we found a pipe connector in the plumbing section at cdn tire that prevented the "tennis ball mod"...:D :D :D I guess I finally have an excuse to buy the DN performance y-pipe...lol

Click the link to see the "chain mod"...too bad it's not gold.

http://www.3si.org/portal/forums/attachment.php?postid=598556:rofl:

Davetronz
10-15-2002, 12:14 AM
Hahahhahah Rob, that is so ghetto syling! :D

CLiVE
10-15-2002, 12:19 AM
Sure is...at least we didn't have to go that route. The $9 rubber hose connector worked fine. And it didn't blow off at 15psi on deerfoot...

I've heard of a daquiri cup being used in the absence of a tennis ball....

95TsiAWD
10-15-2002, 08:16 AM
Wow, ghetto-liscious.
I've got a few extra t-bolts if you want to use one of those Rob ;)

CLiVE
10-15-2002, 09:13 AM
Wow, ghetto-liscious.
I've got a few extra t-bolts if you want to use one of those Rob ;)

Hook me up with a t-bolt. Just need one for the y-pipe.

DSM Power
10-15-2002, 02:10 PM

ever notice if you hold the shift key down you get VR$.... coincidence...I think not...

LOL !:D