PDA

View Full Version : Moto Guzzi - Ugly or Beautiful?

Ducati
04-10-2004, 07:59 PM
A few years ago Moto Guzzi came back to the Canadian market with a range of two cylinder customs, standards and sportbikes.
I cannot recall a motorcycle since the first Hondas came out in the early sixties that has had such a polarizing affect on people. I hear people who absolutely hate them to those who think that they are the best and most practical bike on the planet.

So, I am hoping to gauge the reactions of Albertan riders (and wherever else the contributors to this forum come from) to the new Guzzi's.

mo_virgin
04-10-2004, 08:39 PM
I think that their sports bikes are beautiful... otherwise im not a fan of their styling

MGS-01 Serie
http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/bikes/mgs01_s/mgs01serie_lg.jpg
1000cc, 90º V-Twin. One-piece carbon fiber body design. Completely adjustable Ohlins suspension. OZ wheels. Aluminum box section swing arm.

MGS-01 Corsa
http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/bikes/mgs01_c/mgs01corsa_lg.jpg
http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/bikes/mgs01_c/photos/mgs01_06.jpg
1256cc, 90º V-Twin. Cosworth triple ring racing pistons, and nymonic valves. One-piece carbon fiber body design. Completely adjustable Ohlins suspension. OZ wheels. Aluminum box section swing arm.

alpha
04-10-2004, 08:42 PM
there is so much open space on that bike, it looks like its missing something. its almost like a cartoon. but aside from that I like the styling.

hjr
04-10-2004, 11:23 PM
damn thats a HOT bike. seems like most of the wieght is pretty high up though ???

Ducati
04-11-2004, 12:16 AM
Actually, no - the sideways mounted 90 degree V-twin has a very low centrifugal mass, and Guzzi's are very nicely balanced. My biggest gripe is that they are not particularily revvy motors like Duc's, Aprillia's, etc. They have a very heavy flywheel effect, and the old Guzzi I once had really torqued to the right, like a big old V8 car. I understand that the new ones have cancelled out that problem with dampeners and counterbalancers.

Anyways, I would love one. I don't even mind the custom models, like the Jackal. They have features that other customs dont have. What do you have to pay, for example, to get a Harley with full floating triple Brembos, Marzocchi forks front & rear (some use Boge shocks on the rear) and the build quality that will allow the bike to last a quarter of a million miles before it needs serious work?

I have never seen pictures of the model you posted, M.V., and wonder if that is available in Canada.

boi-alien
04-11-2004, 02:50 AM
the bike looks naked! otherwise i like the styling!

mo_virgin
04-11-2004, 01:15 PM
^^

They are out as a 2005 model in the USA duc... so i just assumed they would also be in Canada... maybe not though.

Ducati
04-11-2004, 02:33 PM
I have downloaded your picture and will print out some colour glossies on the Kyocera at work & take them to British Italian M/C on Powell St in Van.

I no longer want to have to put up with the complexities, expense, and demanding nature of Desmodromic 4 valve setups, however do not want to give up the ride quality.

mo_virgin
04-11-2004, 04:18 PM
Are you looking to buy one Duc? If you do im coming over to check that shit out.

RiCE-DaDDy
04-11-2004, 04:34 PM
im not a fan of the perpendicular vtwin

reminds me of the bmw boxers

JAYMEZ
04-11-2004, 04:51 PM
Looks awesome to me :thumbsup:

Ducati
04-11-2004, 09:53 PM
"Are you looking to buy one Duc? If you do im coming over to check that shit out."
Actually, it is on my mind. Probably next years' plan. The 888 is getting old and cranky. Problem is. there is no market for those things, so I'm stuck with it. So it will become a coffee table or something. I dont think another Duc is in the cards, I've had them since 1978 and I am a little tired of their "persnicketyness". The Goose might be easier for me to work on, too.

"im not a fan of the perpendicular vtwin

reminds me of the bmw boxers"

The engineering of transverse 90 degree twins (Guzzi) and opposed 180 degree (BMW) twins lends itself to two excellent mechanical principles - perfect primary balance, and the cylinders are out in the air stream for natural cooling.

Weapon_R
04-11-2004, 09:57 PM
I'm not a big fan of the bike forum, but I know what I like. I can't see why anyone wouldn't love that bike - definately one of the nicest i've ever seen. Perhaps its the originality or unusual design, but something about it strikes me as being a piece of art.

mo_virgin
04-12-2004, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by Ducati
"Are you looking to buy one Duc? If you do im coming over to check that shit out."
Actually, it is on my mind. Probably next years' plan. The 888 is getting old and cranky. Problem is. there is no market for those things, so I'm stuck with it. So it will become a coffee table or something. I dont think another Duc is in the cards, I've had them since 1978 and I am a little tired of their "persnicketyness". The Goose might be easier for me to work on, too.

I you don't like their sports bikes... may i suggest

The Breva 1100

http://www.infomotori.com/foto/art_3974_3_breva1100_2.jpg
http://www.infomotori.com/foto/art_3974_2_breva1100_1.jpg