PDA

View Full Version : Deck Installation Help

recon
04-10-2004, 10:21 PM
Hello, Im going to be getting my first car soon, an 87' pontiac 6000, for free. And I want to install a deck that will play cd's. I bought an dash adaptor kit for the 6000 and am now shopping around for a deck (here I come Ebay!). I want to keep it as cheap as possible, so I want to install the deck myself. Is it that hard to do? Is there anything I should buy? Wire harnesses or adaptors or? Would you guys be able to guide me through the process once I get the deck? Thanks alot!

Spyderman_MaryJ
04-10-2004, 11:09 PM
You can get (at Walmart even) a wiring harness that will match up to your factory plug. Most times the colors are even the same, so it is realy simple to do. Then just plug it into your factory harness, and your good to go!:thumbsup: I always recommend you solder the conections if you can. Then it'll last forever.

I believe for this pontiac you will also need an antenna adaptor, because GM uses a smaller plug then the standard size.

Any other questions I'll do my best to help.

You might want to do a search here for cd players for sale. You might be able to find something local, and save yourself some $.. Just a thought..

core_upt
04-11-2004, 12:54 AM
if you don't want/know how to solder, crimp all your connections carefully

search in the classifieds here on beyond for decks, lots of great deals

recon
04-11-2004, 08:32 AM
Thanks guys, I will go back to walmart and see if I can find one of those wiring harnesses, I saw them advertised on the back of the stereo kit. And I will put up a want ad for a deck.

Gonthro
04-11-2004, 09:21 AM
i couldn't find wiring harnesses for pre 1989 pontiac 6000, i tried to find one.

recon
04-11-2004, 09:31 AM
Are you sure? On the back of the stereo kit instructions they are advertising one for 78' and up GM vehicles.

Gonthro
04-11-2004, 09:44 AM
im not saying you wont find one, im just saying i didn't have any luck with it...

recon
04-11-2004, 09:58 AM
Yeah, I havnt looked yet. Hopefully one will show up, would make my life a whole lot easier. :burnout:

recon
04-17-2004, 09:14 PM
Ok, I found a connector at walmart. It is a bunch of fancy coloured wires with a big black box on the other end. So once I get the stock radio out, there should be plugs that will go into this black box? Then the wires will go to the deck? Will the wires inside the car match up with the ones in this harness? I found a JVC kd-sx9350 on the internet for $125 that I might buy. Will this install fairly easily?

spike98
04-17-2004, 09:45 PM
Hey recon! Pick up a case of coors light for use to drink and ill do it for you! I got a garage and everything.

Oh im in the hat too incase you didn't know.

recon
04-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Hey thats cool! Im only 17 and honestly not a drinker, but I will give you something if you could teach me how to install it. Would you use the things that I have bought?

spike98
04-17-2004, 10:01 PM
Yea i can use the deck kit and harness. With the harness it really shouldn't take more than 30 mins. But after i said that i prolly jinxed myself so expect an hour at most.

What are you looking to spend on a cd player. I might be able to poke around and see if i can get a deal for you.

If you go to visions and ask for boyd, he will hook you up. Just tell him Shaun sent you. That is of course if you want new. I can get pretty good deals used to. Stay away from the pawn shops. That stuff is all crackhead smash and grab stuff there.

recon
04-17-2004, 10:29 PM
On another forum I found a nib jvc KD-SX9350 for $125. I may get that. What do you think?

spike98
04-17-2004, 10:37 PM
good deal! I say go for it!

dodgetruckin24
04-18-2004, 01:06 AM
Thats a pretty good deal for the deck, I would go for it if i were you. I got a JVC kinda like that and it works good especially the four V line outputs in the back make it easy to hook up amps.

recon
04-22-2004, 11:00 PM
I got the deck today and my friend and I have it mostly set up and installed. We just twisted the wires for starters to see if it would work and does it ever! I will solder them this weekend. With the wiring harness it was easier than I expected, I guess I didnt need any help after all. :D :thumbsup: