PDA

View Full Version : Lug nut torque?

Ferio_vti
04-11-2004, 03:27 PM
Where do I find out torque specs for aftermarket rims??
When mytires installed my tires, they tossed out the boxes and paper (if any) that came with the wheels.

autobodygal
04-11-2004, 03:55 PM
Check the manufacturer of your wheels website if they have one. A quick google search will help you determine if they do or not.

Ferio_vti
04-11-2004, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by autobodygal
Check the manufacturer of your wheels website if they have one. A quick google search will help you determine if they do or not.

yah, I emailed Axis, as their site lists nothing, and my wheels are discountinued.

GTS Jeff
04-11-2004, 04:44 PM
who cares, just torque it on as tight as u can by hand with a tire iron.

djfob
04-11-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
who cares, just torque it on as tight as u can by hand with a tire iron.

This is what I do but I also don't really care about my rims. Either way it's been fine for me.

CivicDXR
04-11-2004, 04:51 PM
I thought it was dependant on your car, not your wheels... Your stock specs (if you have a Civic) are 80 foot/lbs... I always set mine at 100 just to be safe...

^SkylinE^
04-11-2004, 04:51 PM
I heard that just making them as tight as posible is bad for the rim and can actually bend them? True?or Fulse?:dunno:

2000impreza
04-11-2004, 04:54 PM
if you tighten the lugs too much it can cause warped rotors. i torque mine to about 65ft/lbs

xrayvsn
04-11-2004, 04:57 PM
You should torque them to the specs for your car, which is 80 lb ft for a Civic. Make sure you retorque them after driving on them a couple days, and then they should be good.

I have read that just hand torquing, which leads to uneven torque on each lug can cause things like your brake rotor warping. Overtorquing can also strip your lugs.

GTS Jeff
04-11-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
You should torque them to the specs for your car, which is 80 lb ft for a Civic. Make sure you retorque them after driving on them a couple days, and then they should be good.

I have read that just hand torquing, which leads to uneven torque on each lug can cause things like your brake rotor warping. Overtorquing can also strip your lugs. it could, but im sure most ppl can do it accurately enough by hand. maybe if ure really weak u might tire out after the first 3 lugs and torque the last one on very loose or something :dunno:

and u would have to actually try to strip the lugs haha

Inthered
04-11-2004, 11:30 PM
torque to 80ft/lbs like someone said earlier.

Boostn
04-12-2004, 05:20 PM
As others mentioned be careful of torquing too tight, that may cause the rotors to warp! Just buy a good torque wrench and follow the manufacturers recommendations for specs.

CokerRat
04-12-2004, 09:54 PM
Lug nut torque is specified by your car manufacturer, not the wheel manufacturer. Reason is that you are actually stretching the bolt and you do not want to overtorque to the point of yielding the threads or the bolt itself. And of course the bolts are part of the wheel hub assembly on your car.

80 ft-lbs seems to be common in my experience too.

RickDaTuner
04-12-2004, 10:30 PM
alumanim does not like to ressure there are specific torq spec on alloy and other variours metal types due to the fact that if you over tighten a specific alloy or metal, in the event that you hit a nice pot hole or curb good and hard, the rims shatters arround the over tightened lug nuts

stell rims can be tightened to any torq seetting between 80ft/b abd 110 ft/b depending on the size of the lug nut

alumanim rims should be anywhere between 35-65 ft/b every time is differnt though its good that you are trying to find the correct torq settings