PDA

View Full Version : Porsche Dyno run

JustinL
04-11-2004, 08:13 PM
I took the 951 in for dyno tuning on saturday. Overall, I was pretty happy with the numbers that it put up. I was hoping for a few more horsies, but my old tired wastegate isn't able to hold 16 psi for very long. I'd never been to a dyno before, so it was quite the learning experience. Tuning with the link MAP system is pretty straight forward, but took a few runs before I could see the difference that my adjustments were making. I was having a hell of a time getting that lean bump down right before full boost, but I think it should be ok.

Comments and suggestions are apreciated. Final numbers were 259HP and 296ft#.

mcshow
04-11-2004, 08:17 PM
that are some pretty freakin sick numbers bro

rage2
04-11-2004, 09:49 PM
You need a bigger turbo :).

JustinL
04-11-2004, 11:01 PM
You're absolutely right! I need to do all the supporting stuff first though so it doesn't pop under pressure. First things are wastegate and electronic boost control, bigger intake pipe, injectors and then a turbo. I really want to hold the torque curve up in the higher RPM range and I think dumping the old worn-out wastegate should help with that. The K26/8 should be able to make decent boost all the way to the redline. Now it's dropping to the 12-13psi range.

rage2
04-11-2004, 11:22 PM
hehe, the K26/8 (a bit better than the /6) can hold boost all the way to redline, but it's so far off the efficiency range it's not gonna make much difference in TQ or HP up top. Meaning it's better to run a little less boost up top with that turbo, lower intake temps, better detonation control and better timing can be run. Might even make MORE power with less boost.

Intake pipes, I'm still using stock pipes on my car. With the GURU MAP kit, all you need are injectors and bigger turbo, and you're good to go. Wastegate can be taken care of afterwards.

JAYMEZ
04-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Damn thats awesome dude , good numbers!

VWhooligan
04-11-2004, 11:36 PM
thats a fast and good looking car!

Redlyne_mr2
04-11-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by rage2
hehe, the K26/8 (a bit better than the /6) can hold boost all the way to redline, but it's so far off the efficiency range it's not gonna make much difference in TQ or HP up top. Meaning it's better to run a little less boost up top with that turbo, lower intake temps, better detonation control and better timing can be run. Might even make MORE power with less boost.

Intake pipes, I'm still using stock pipes on my car. With the GURU MAP kit, all you need are injectors and bigger turbo, and you're good to go. Wastegate can be taken care of afterwards.
Then comes another question, should a rare turbo S be modified? Awesome to see what that car is capable of putting down JustinL.

rage2
04-12-2004, 12:25 AM
Well, since only like 8 ppl know about the rarity and value of a 88 Turbo S, it doesn't really matter IMO. As much as I'd like to see Silver Roses stay stock, I think only I care about that lol.

Tuner1
04-12-2004, 08:14 AM
Nice numbers :) I sure do miss my 951S :(

FYI, my '88 S with downpipe, chips (17psi) and K&N made 263rwhp/319tq.

Rob

JustinL
04-12-2004, 08:32 AM

I see your point. But the intake (J-Pipe) will need to be changed to run turbo with a bigger inlet. I'm still feeding air in through that maze of plumbing with the stealth install of the MAP kit. You also have a good point about not running my 26/8 to the ragged edge. We'll see how I feel when I get that irresistable urge to spend some more money on my car.

I do think the silver rose is a rare classic, but only 944 Junkies really even know it exists and won't really affect the resale value unless it's a low mileage car in pristine condition. (how do you like that rationalization)

1badPT
04-12-2004, 10:44 AM
I love how Porche engines are so torquey :clap: :thumbsup: :D

Redlyne_mr2
04-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by 1badPT
I love how Porche engines are so torquey :clap: :thumbsup: :D
Especially for a 4cyl. which feels more like a 6, or in rage2s case I'm sure feels like a v12:eek:

rage2
04-12-2004, 06:50 PM
It feels nothing like a v12. It feels like a peaky 4 banger that waits forever to make power (over 3500rpm in JustinL's case, over 4300rpm in my case).

The dyno charts look "torquey" because the volumetric efficiency at high rpm's is horrible. That and the 944 motor isn't a rev happy motor (redline at 6500rpm). Sure it can make a ton of torque, but falls flat at high rpm's, so the HP trace flattens out, much like those J-body 4 bangers. Sucks because you need a lot of boost and torque to achieve half decent HP numbers.

There is a good to all this tho... the internals are damn strong. Good enough to sustain 500+ hp reliably on stock internals hehe.

BTW JustinL, when you get standalone, you can reduce the large drop in torque at high rpm's by dialing in some timing above 5500rpm. I was able to move my peak HP to 6700rpm with an aftermarket turbo without changing boost. Your GURU chips might be doing that for you already tho, seeing as your peak HP is close to the 6000rpm point.

JustinL
04-12-2004, 09:20 PM

BTW JustinL, when you get standalone

LOL you say it like it's in the stars!

This is a process, and things are moving forward. But, it takes time and money (as you know).

rage2
04-12-2004, 09:21 PM
haha that's why I said when ;).