PDA

View Full Version : just a question about B16a

boi-alien
06-05-2002, 07:10 PM
hey all you swap guru's out there. what would be a decent price for a B16a engine? including tranny, transaxle, ECU, engine mounts.. basically everything i need to get the engine into my car. the only thing it won't include is the labour cost.

redline
06-05-2002, 07:28 PM
anything under $2G

r7
06-06-2002, 01:07 PM
2000 ? CDN ? no way

1st gen b16a/tranny + ecu = usually around 1600 CDN$

sure, you get mounts , maybe axles, with that, but you can't use them. :)

hasport makes nice mounts, that's a good 650 CDN$

axles, you need to build, 90-93 integra outer cv, 86-89 inner.. or you can buy them ( hybrid axles ) from raxles.com , (there are other places) .. . that will cost about 350 CDN$

+ you need to modify your shift linkage, or if you are lazy, it'll cost about 200 CDN $ from hasport ( www.hasport.com )

you'll need to wire vtec, and possibly fi if you have a dx, which is pretty simple, or you can buy a premade harness from hasport, for i think 75 US $ i think.. .

( this is if you have a 88-91 crx , hopefully Si )

it sounds really simple.. . but it does take time. :) make sure you read some tutorials first, or you'll be working backwards and kicking yourself in the ass. =P

btw, 1600 + 650 + 350 + 200 = 2800

but it will cost more. :) it's very tempting to change clutch/flywheel, and possibly lsd, while the motor is out, also cams/springs/ etc.. :) and it gets costly!!..

also , depending on condition of car, you're going to want to replace balljoints (upper lower), wheel bearings, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc...

i just finished a bseries swap into my 88 crx. it was fun. :) and costly, to do it right. =p

sexualbanana
06-06-2002, 01:08 PM
that's if it's a cable clutch, i think. but even then, i think a b16a1 (cable clutch) goes for like $3.5g. i know a b16a2 (hydro clutch) makes it like $4g.

r7
06-06-2002, 01:12 PM
why go hydrolic in a already cable car ? , i duno, i like cable. ;)

boi-alien
06-06-2002, 02:14 PM
well this guy wants to sell me his B16 for 1800$ the engines got 60K on it. but the thing is the engine is comming out of a crx, and he's going to give me everything that i need to do the swap. in that case it would be a pretty good deal right rseven??

rage2
06-06-2002, 03:06 PM
Man, rseven has become quite the CRX expert. Just 2 years ago when I last saw him, he was just modding skateboards! :rofl:

legendboy
06-06-2002, 03:10 PM
Somebody please tell me how hard it is or even if I would want to change from a hydro tranny to cable. I want a b16 tranny and I can get a cable one but not a hydro one:(

redline
06-06-2002, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
Somebody please tell me how hard it is or even if I would want to change from a hydro tranny to cable. I want a b16 tranny and I can get a cable one but not a hydro one:(

i do not know why you would want to change

B18C
06-06-2002, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

I think HASport makes a hydro to cable conversion kit. the only reason that I can think of for doing this is for B16A1 swaps because they are cheaper than B16A2 or 3 (I think those are the ones with a hydro clutch). The kit is like $700-$800 US though, so you might as well get the one with the hydro tranny to start.

legendboy
06-06-2002, 03:30 PM
holy cow, thats 3 times the price of the cable tranny!!!

legendboy
06-06-2002, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by redline

i do not know why you would want to change

The only reason I would want to change is to get better gearing, I don't want to change to cable but there are no hydro trannys in calagry. I can get the cable tranny for cheap too.

r7
06-07-2002, 02:26 AM
haha rage. :)

anyhow, crxboi, yeah that's good, is the block/head/tranny all stock ? You will still need rad hoses, throttle cable, and all the other little stuff, oil filter.. etc.. etc. if it doesn't come with any of that...

btw, what motor mounts does that come with?

cable vs hydro

i don't see any advantages of hydrolic over cable.. . it is a different feel though.. i personally like clutch, and it's simplicity..
(cable pulls clutch arm up and releases.. .) i could imagine how hydrolic works, but it's a hassle to put into a already cable equipped car, BUT!!!

this is if you're going with a jdm 1st gen b16 (crx sir, integra xsi) or any other bseries motor that was equipped with cable, (ie. b17/b18a/b's in usdm integras) than go cable..

if you are swapping in a b18c or b18c5 or even a b16b, than stick with the tranny it came with originally (the b18c5 and b16b being equipped with hydro. w/ lsd, thats a plus. =) )

or if you can find a type r tranny, (s80?), for a reasonable price, with lsd , than bolt it on to that b16! there is a process for conversion though, cable to hydro.. i don't know it! never done it!

anyhow,

enough babbling..