PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle accident

YCB
04-12-2004, 10:56 PM
hope it wasn't anyone on this forum

http://www.gov.calgary.ab.ca/citybeat/public/2004/04/release.20040412_221743_29840_0

jdmakkord
04-12-2004, 11:03 PM
FUCK!!! What a brutal month!:(

YCB
04-12-2004, 11:04 PM
yeah and the scary thing is, i think i may have seen the 2 motorcyclists tonight..

jdmakkord
04-12-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by YCB
yeah and the scary thing is, i think i may have seen the 2 motorcyclists tonight..

I was on country hills and shag at 9:10ish tonight too.

LudeRoca
04-12-2004, 11:07 PM
Thats like a 2 mins walk from my house. I hope its not one of my buddies.:confused:

YCB
04-12-2004, 11:09 PM
it was a silver r6 i think... like 2003 i think..

Khyron
04-12-2004, 11:49 PM
I almost got side-swiped by a careless neon driver who didn't bother checking beside him. Might just park the bike till June after the drivers get used to the idea of bikes again. :(

Khyron

hjr
04-12-2004, 11:53 PM
that is the reason i feel bikes should be loud. Performance, blaaa. who cares? you just need to let people know you are there! haha. hog, chopper, cruiser, sport, dualsport, scooter. it dont matter, make it LOUD. of course, not strait pipes, a couple on individual harleys last year almost blew out my eardrum at a light. Fuck i was pissed at that, they actually HURT my ear. Guess i shouldnt have had the window down on a +25* day :thumbsdow

Dave
04-13-2004, 12:03 AM
I was on my way to the hospital for a broken toe and as i got to the intersection of of shaganappi and edgemont blvd many people we scrambeling out of their cars to attend to the two people lying in the middle of the road. I saw alot of fluid (most likely blood) and 1 helmet. The bike was deffinitely a silver yamaha. As i called 911 i saw the EMS unit coming up shaganappi. I figured there was a fatality because no ambulance arrived at the hospital while i was in the waiting room. After about an hour at the hospital i went home and went though edgemont to go back to the accident scene. I saw two body bags, large lights, and many police officers standing around the body bags. I really wish stuff like this never happend, I felt like throwing up after seeing all of this. My condolences to the families.

Z_Fan
04-13-2004, 12:21 AM
I saw a guy on a bike today on Glenmore Trail. He was following a flatbed truck at about 90km/h at a distance of less than 10 feet.

Yes, bikes can stop fast, but in this case, a hard brake by the truck for any reason and mr. idiot biker gets the steel bumper (at face level) for a handy dandy facial reconstruction or decapitation.

He'd hit it before he could react at that distance...

Shortly after following this truck he switched lanes, which I thought was to avoid a dangerous situation, however, he proceeded directly up to the next truck and followed it at about 10 feet distance, perhaps less.

Moron.

GT3
04-13-2004, 02:22 AM
Originally posted by Dave
I was on my way to the hospital for a broken toe and as i got to the intersection of of shaganappi and edgemont blvd many people we scrambeling out of their cars to attend to the two people lying in the middle of the road. I saw alot of fluid (most likely blood) and 1 helmet. The bike was deffinitely a silver yamaha. As i called 911 i saw the EMS unit coming up shaganappi. I figured there was a fatality because no ambulance arrived at the hospital while i was in the waiting room. After about an hour at the hospital i went home and went though edgemont to go back to the accident scene. I saw two body bags, large lights, and many police officers standing around the body bags. I really wish stuff like this never happend, I felt like throwing up after seeing all of this. My condolences to the families.

Man i 'm gonna get a 2004 R6 soon and it silver too. Now i'm kinda scare ^_^

DSMer4Life
04-13-2004, 08:23 AM
Yes, I heard about this on the 11pm news last night. Both people killed were in their twenties. It's already looking like a bad year for motorcyclists.

This is only my second season riding, and I can honestly say I am afraid of what I got into with bikes. That said, the fear of what may happen makes me that much more aware when I do ride. Take care everyone, whether you're in your "cage", or riding.

ryder_23
04-13-2004, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by GT3

. Now i'm kinda scare ^_^

then dont get a bike. you cant be scared riding a bike, you wont enjoy it, and u'll probably crash

SoSlowDx
04-13-2004, 09:22 AM
Yeah both are dead :eek:

I believe the name was Andrew Wong and the female rider was some Exchange student from China..

That's why I never ride a bike!

rc2002
04-13-2004, 09:45 AM
The worst part is that it's usually not the guy on the bike who's at fault.

hjr
04-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by DSMer4Life
Yes, I heard about this on the 11pm news last night. Both people killed were in their twenties. It's already looking like a bad year for motorcyclists.
no, not really. every year quite a few people bit it on bikes. this year obviously isnt gonna be any different

DSMer4Life
04-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Originally posted by hjr
no, not really. every year quite a few people bit it on bikes. this year obviously isnt gonna be any different

True. It's just that there have been so many accidents so early in the season. I hope it isn't an indicator of more to come.

kevie88
04-13-2004, 11:00 AM
nice weather = way more bikes on the road earlier. there's been more crashes because there's way more bikes out.. Simple really.

ApexDrift
04-13-2004, 11:01 AM
what the hell was going on on shag last night, anybody know? the whole hill in edgemont was blocked off and cops and everything were there....

anyone know?

Gonthro
04-13-2004, 11:03 AM
On April 12, 2004 at 2121 hours, a 25 yr old male driver and
his 22 yr old female passenger on a 2003 Yamaha motorcycle
were killed instantly, when they collided with a 1989 Toyota
Tercel. The collision occurred at Shagannapi Trail and
Edgemont Blvd NW. The motorcycle was travelling south on
Shagannapi Trail and the Toyota was attempting to go
westbound on Edgemont Blvd from northbound Shagannapi Trail.

The investigation is continuing.

The male driver of the motorcycle has been identified as Hei
Yu Andrew WONG, 25 of Calgary.

His passenger, a 22 year old female, is a visa student from
China with no family here. Attempts are being made to
contact next of kin. Until then, her name will not be
released.

sputnik
04-13-2004, 11:16 AM
the main reason i will never own a motorcycle...

RIP (x2)

kevie88
04-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
the main reason i will never own a motorcycle...

RIP (x2)

If you never take a chance in your life you're not living. If you're so worried about your own mortality then you should never go outside, never cross the street, ect ect ect..

Death eventually comes for everyone, but not everyone really lives.

Dave
04-13-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

If you never take a chance in your life you're not living. If you're so worried about your own mortality then you should never go outside, never cross the street, ect ect ect..

But when there are this many bike accidents its much more of a risk. Some things are more risky than others. This is why i will never buy a bike.

knees scrapin'
04-13-2004, 12:26 PM
Death eventually comes for everyone, but not everyone really lives. [/B]

Well put.

We take put our lives on the line everyday, no matter what you do. We trust that everyone on road is awake, sober and has the dexterity and skill to operate a mass of metal moving at lethal speeds.

Its just that bikes don't have 500 lbs of sold metal in front and crumple zones. Its no wonder that bikers don't like the cages b/c most of the time people are lazy and take to many chances.

Just remember before anyone judges a motorcyclist for "excesive speeding" and being reckless alot more people die every year from car crashes then bikes.

There is no sense tip toeing thru life to arrive at deaths door.
Sorry for the rant. Just my 2 cents.

GT3
04-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23

then dont get a bike. you cant be scared riding a bike, you wont enjoy it, and u'll probably crash

i say i'm kinda the scare cause how come the bike they crash exactly the 1 i'm gonna buy soon and dont be so cocky man..anything can happen to you. When u the 1 in that body bag let see wat people talk about you. When U on Bike u have to be really careful..This is not my first bike man i rode suzuki sport at vietname already but i'm still go take bike class here to have more skill.. When new year coming at vietnam about 4000 bikes they race on the small street no protection at all and i'm the 1 in there that time i'm only 17..u think i didnt crash b 4...

roopi
04-13-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by GT3

i say i'm kinda the scare cause how come the bike they crash exactly the 1 i'm gonna buy soon and dont be so cocky man..anything can happen to you. When u the 1 in that body bag let see wat people talk about you. When U on Bike u have to be really careful..This is not my first bike man i ride suzuki sport at vietname already but i'm still go take bike class here to have more skill.. When new year coming at vietnam about 4000 bikes they race on the small street no protection at all and i'm the 1 in there that time i'm only 17..u think i didnt crash b 4...

Forget the bike class take an engilsh one instead. :D

GT3
04-13-2004, 01:29 PM
ok i know my english is bad man..^_^

Orbie
04-13-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by knees scrapin'

Well put.

We take put our lives on the line everyday, no matter what you do. We trust that everyone on road is awake, sober and has the dexterity and skill to operate a mass of metal moving at lethal speeds.

Its just that bikes don't have 500 lbs of sold metal in front and crumple zones. Its no wonder that bikers don't like the cages b/c most of the time people are lazy and take to many chances.

Just remember before anyone judges a motorcyclist for "excesive speeding" and being reckless alot more people die every year from car crashes then bikes.

There is no sense tip toeing thru life to arrive at deaths door.
Sorry for the rant. Just my 2 cents.

True, more people die in cars then bikes, but that doesn't say anything about the safety of driving a car relative to a bike. In fact I'll bet the probability of dying in a car crash is less then dying in a bike accident. The only reason I say this is because you have to look at the volume of car drivers to bike drivers. There are far more of the former than the latter, thus say for a given fictitious town with 100 fatal car accidents and 1000 car drivers, and 15 fatal bike accidents for 100 bikers. Sure tons of people getting in fatal car accidents but you still have 15% of bike riders in fatal bike accidents then the 10% of car drivers in fatal car accidents. I believe you'll find this case extends universally across any location. Unless you can find me a place where there are more bike riders then car drivers.

Also you have to look at the volume of passengers that can be carried in either mode of transportation. Obviously more people can be hurt in a car then on a bike. But then again cars can have the necessary safety measures to protect passengers from fatal injuries while on a bike your almost always looking at fatal or near fatal injuries.

Despite these facts, I'm still not going to judge every biker for being a dangerous risk, I've seen some crazy stupid bikers, but I've also seen many crazy stupid car drivers! If anything car drivers should be more responsible because of the large potential of hurting anything else on the road that isn't a car and not being really hurt themselves. A bike collision with another bike would kill both drivers, but a bike collision with a car would be like bouncing basketballs off a tank.

m10-power
04-13-2004, 04:02 PM
Sad to see, all bikes should be single seat only. Its much easier to crash a bike then it is to crash a car. I've yet to crash a car and I've been down 30 some odd times on a bike...

Bikes are a blast, but require a great deal of planning while in motion. It's far to easy to get a class 6. (or any license for that matter)

Ducati
04-16-2004, 12:19 AM
There are things that motorcyclists can learn that actually make them every bit as safe, if not safer than a car.

1) Countersteering. We have been going through a discussion of countersteering on the Bikes forum. Countersteering makes it possible to manoevre your bike like no 4 wheeled vehicle is capable of.

2) Learning how to use the brakes. Knowing how to use the front brake and when it is okay to use the rear. The rear brake, for me, has been used primarily to control a bike, however a panic stop can be performed in far less yardage than it takes to haul a car down, using both brakes properly.

3) Awareness of risk scenarios and recognition of them shaping up in front of (or behind or beside) you. Example: Beware the dreaded Left Hand Turn. Thats what appears to have caused the accident with the Yamaha and the Tercel.

Besides, Motorcycles provide a rush that is - dare I say this - as good as sex. It certainly lasts longer.

kiwi
04-17-2004, 11:41 AM
I was acquainted w/ Andrew... His ex-gf is all the way in England right now, doing her exchange program... It was so hard trying to break the news to her... :(

I wonder who the girl that was w/ Andrew was? I hope it's not someone I also know...

sputnik
04-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by kevie88

OK there...

Its all about mitigating risk and balance to your life. The risks to owning and operating a bike are considerably higher than driving a car, flying in a plane or crossing the street.

I wont live in fear, but I also choose to make decisions that keep me relatively save. Lets face it getting in a bike accident at 60km/h is much different than being in a car at 60km/h. Both provide the same purpose (going from A to B) however cars are proven to be MUCH safer.

So dont tell me that if im to scared to own a motorcycle that I should be equally scared of walking on the sidewalk.

CalgarySS
04-17-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Orbie

True, more people die in cars then bikes, but that doesn't say anything about the safety of driving a car relative to a bike. In fact I'll bet the probability of dying in a car crash is less then dying in a bike accident.

This is a good point, does anyone have access to the number of bikes registered in Calgary vs. accidents and fatalities?

ramminghard
04-17-2004, 04:06 PM
but also make sure you see who is at fault for the motorcycle fatalities.

Strider
04-17-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by ramminghard
but also make sure you see who is at fault for the motorcycle fatalities.

if someone dies on a bike, does it really matter who was at fault:dunno:

kevie88
04-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by Strider

if someone dies on a bike, does it really matter who was at fault:dunno:

To me it does. I need to know how that person died and how to avoid getting myself into that same situation.

BebeAphrodite
04-17-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by m10-power
Sad to see, all bikes should be single seat only. Its much easier to crash a bike then it is to crash a car. I've yet to crash a car and I've been down 30 some odd times on a bike...

Bikes are a blast, but require a great deal of planning while in motion. It's far to easy to get a class 6. (or any license for that matter)

RIP Andrew Wong

There are safety precautions that you can take. If you had a shitty careless driver in a car vs a very alert safe rider in a bike, the shitty reckless careless driver will be the one with greater chances of getting into an accident.

If you make bikes single seaters, why not take the next step and save more lives by making cars single seaters too. :rolleyes:
I don't think it's that easy to get a Class 6. Even someone who cant drive can pass the Class 5... but for Class 6 you're going to need to know more than "turn the car on, put the car in drive and step on the gas" to move.

dj_rice
04-17-2004, 09:13 PM
RIP Andrew Wong

This is a very tragic and sad event and Andrew was my boss at my very first job I worked at ...which was A & W and the amount of time I worked with him, he was extremely nice and polite and very respectable guy and I'd like to just say we have lost a good person, your spirit will live on in all the people's lives you have touched...

Ducati
04-17-2004, 11:54 PM
I notice that Andrew Wong was a member of the Groundpilots forum from Calgary. I read some of his posts as I lurked their site. He was a knowledgeable enthusiast by the content of his commentary.

Dont worry about dying in a bike accident, because statistically CANCER will get you instead. Now THAT scares me a hell of a lot more than anything that could happen to me on the street.

Fuck the risk. I'm Riding!

The benifits offset the risks. That's my sense of balance.

Benny
04-18-2004, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro
The male driver of the motorcycle has been identified as Hei
Yu Andrew WONG, 25 of Calgary.

Holy crap... I knew that guy. I thought it wasn't this Andrew Wong until I saw the age.

ehos
04-18-2004, 03:00 PM
RIP.

BUT!

I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

bol
04-18-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Ducati
[B]I notice that Andrew Wong was a member of the Groundpilots forum from Calgary. B]

Actually... that was Adrian who died a couple weeks before Andrew. I arrived at the scene about an hour after Adrian had died(was taking a relaxing ride with my girlfriend.) I was going to be riding with Adrian that day but had changd my mind. I told him I'd catch up with him later... and I did.

For his funeral service about 40 bikes rode to his home and then as part of the funeral procession. All with blue ribbons tied to the mirrors. It was very moving. I still have the ribbon on my bike as a reminder.

Ducati
04-18-2004, 11:22 PM
Every couple of years someone you know will be killed in a bike accident, and even more will die in cars.
Thats just the way it is.
A couple will croak due to various types of self abuse, and a few people you know will die of suicides. Also there is a good chance that someone you know will be murdered.

People will die.

As you get older various illnesses start to creep into the equasion. So, to me, the risk that I myself may be killed in a bike accident is something that I am prepared to face. Its usually a fast death, unlike the biggest killers of all, like cancer and coronary ailments. I DO NOT want to die of cancer. Lord, just take me quick.