PDA

View Full Version : A:// no accesible (sp)

ALI BABA
04-13-2004, 02:00 AM
i baught a computer off a beyond member and for some reason i dont have a 3 1/2 floppy i have a 5 1/4 floppy(whats's that) i took that out and i put a 3 1/2 off my old come and it tells me A: not accecible....what do i do?

Ferio_vti
04-13-2004, 06:13 PM
Go to the bios and add in the 3.5

xrayvsn
04-13-2004, 06:22 PM
Does the floppy light come on when you first boot up the computer?

I have made the mistake of installing the ribbon cable backwards. Check your connections again, to make sure they are the proper way around. Also check the bios, as Ferio_vti said.

Orbie
04-13-2004, 08:04 PM
The 5.25 could have been a zip disk drive. If everything is installed properly, it would be a matter of making the drive known in your BIOS. If you're using Windows, you could also have the OS try to detect it through the hardware utility in your control panel.

TheXplosion
04-13-2004, 09:06 PM
im talking off a friends comp .........how would i get it into bios....i dont understand what ur saying

and no light comes on when i boot it

xrayvsn
04-13-2004, 09:24 PM
If no light comes on, then it either means that your bios doesn't bother to look for the drive during POST (power on self test), or as I've said, your cables may not be connected, or connected improperly. You should have two connections on the back of your floppy - one that is connected to a ribbon cable, which then connects to your motherboard, and the other is your power cord - this one has a smaller connector, with 4 female ends. There is a polarity to how you have to hook these up, so if one or the other is backwards, your drive won't work.

Try checking these first before you mess around in the bios.

eur0
04-13-2004, 09:26 PM
the light should come on at least...you plugged it in correctly?

there should be an option on startup to enter your bios...its usually del, f2 or tab, once you get it you should look around and see where your options for startup are. You can chose what you want to boot in order, like 1st is your hd, 2nd is your floppy, 3rd is your cd rom, etc. Just make sure your floppy is set there and see what happens.

962 kid
04-14-2004, 12:36 AM
hehe i remember the good ol 5 1/4 floppies, held all my favorite games like commander keen

ALI BABA
04-16-2004, 02:26 AM
it seems to be right...how do i got to that bios thing....(remember i am computer alliterate)..thnx