PDA

View Full Version : older imports vs. newer domestics

chris
04-13-2004, 10:26 AM
Me and my dad have been looking for new cars recently and have two different view points. My dad thinks that getting a 2002 or 2003 sunfire or grand am would be good on the simple fact that it's new. I know this seems practicall and realistic and all, but i hate sunfires and grand ams (no offence to those of you who drive them) but I would rather drive an older bmw or something, like a 92-94, or a 240 or something on those lines. The older imports that I am looking at have anywhere from 90 000 - 190 000 km's. Could any of you give me any advice on what i should tell my dad in order to convince him that non-domestic cars are better then domestic cars, even though they have the huge age difference.

thanks

QuasarCav
04-13-2004, 10:48 AM
buy a new sunfire/grand am, he'll be convinced pretty fast when it squeeks and rattles after you get 5km off the lot.

The styling looks like ass, reliability is getting better but the interiors look like a 5year old's play room.

whoops not another jbody/domestic bash thread...Doh:burnout:

Gonthro
04-13-2004, 10:48 AM
a GA isn't a jbody

1badPT
04-13-2004, 10:54 AM
Uhh there are advantages to both, but you won't hear me pay many compliments to the Sunfire or the Grand Am. Both cars productions are being stopped in exchange for newer models.

With new you don't have to worry about maintenance costs and you also get exactly what you want. When you buy an older car, you are taking over someone else's headaches (why are they selling the car??) and you more or less get a car that has some of what you want, but never all of what you want. Older cars don't depreciate as fast as a new cars.

My choice would be to go with a new domestic (or import for that matter) that is built soundly, and if you pick the right domestic, depreciation isn't so bad.

For small cars you should consider:
Ford Focus
SX 2.0
Mazda 3
VW Golf
Civic

For a mid sized car have a look at:
PT Cruiser <-shameless plug :angel:
Sebring
Jetta
Accord

GTS Jeff
04-13-2004, 11:48 AM
if u are going for an older import, stay away from euro cars. they arent exactly reliable either :D

id personally find some old jap car rather than getting a new jbody or ga. the thing is that some toyota with 100,000km is probably gona be as reliable as a new toyota, which is better than some jbody with its rotors warping after 3 months. sure u might need to do stuff like brakes, tires, tbelt, and other regular maintenance items, but ull need to do that on any car. just remember this:

-better resale
-nicer interior
-less hassle
-people wont laugh at you
-you wont hate yourself
-more fun to drive
-less maintenance

Strider
04-13-2004, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff

-you wont hate yourself

:rofl: :rofl:

but I agree on not buying a 12 year old BMW. The reliability isn't that solid for those cars, and maintenance will cost a lot more than on a common japanese import.

You really have to think for a sec and wonder why a 1-2 year old cavalier/sunfire costs less than a 4-5 year old import. There's something to be said about quality.

Ducati
04-13-2004, 12:13 PM
The German cars, including VW, are not praised for great reliability from new, and are money pits as they age. I truly enjoyed driving the BMW I once owned, but it was not a reliable car and cost a fortune to maintain.

Jetta's are also hit & miss - I have heard people whose opinions I respect recite tales of troulble free 300,000 km and still running strong, and then there is my nephew & bro in law who bought this story & purchased a 98' Jetta 1.8 and an 01' Passat VR6 - Both cars are nightmares.

Go Japanese, and also look at Nissan Sentra, Subaru Impreza or Mitsubishi Lancers as well as those mentioned by the others above.

Avoid any Focus older than an 02. They are much improved for 02.

GT2NV
04-13-2004, 02:50 PM
if you buy a sunfire or cavalier brand new the price will depreciate so quickly that it will be worth as much as an old import you were gonna buy in the first place. you can buy a brand new cav / fire for 12,000, and then within 4 years its worth under 5 grand..... sunfires and cavaliers are basically a recyclable vehical... go for something reliable:)

hjr
04-13-2004, 02:57 PM
why not just look at new import. i say for a cheap little neato car, get a echo hatch. i think they are tre cool (hahaha).

GT2NV
04-13-2004, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by hjr
why not just look at new import. i say for a cheap little neato car, get a echo hatch. i think they are tre cool (hahaha). :rofl: :rofl:

Hakkola
04-13-2004, 03:22 PM
My Euro has not been a headache, in the close to 4 years that I've had it it's been in the dealership once, and I've put 90 000km on it.

A_3
04-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Convince your dad to go new import, you can buy many nice euro/japenese cars for around the price of a new grand am and they won't depreciate near as much.

Khyron
04-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Buying a new domestic car is throwing away money unless you are positive you will keep it for 7+ years. If anything, buy a 1 or 2 year old that has already been hit bad with the depreciation.

Personally after looking at all the cars at the auto show, I cannot understand how anyone can pay 20 grand for a sunfire when the Mazda 3 comes in at the same price more or less. Or a fully loaded Elantra GT at 22 grand with a 5 year b2b warranty. Hell, I'd buy a 11 grand Accent, a used motor bike for 7 and still have money left rather than buy a Sunfire. And the VW Golf/Jetta are sure looking their age now - also not worth the $$ being asked.

Khyron

ZorroAMG
04-13-2004, 04:28 PM
But Hakk you drive the mid-level sedan from MB that has been praised as the best built sedan of all time(w124)...not an entry level BMW with no real great achievements or innovations. (3 series), so that would explain it...

Euros can cost a lot but they are worth it IMO because they look, handle and feel better than doemstics and imports...

chris
04-13-2004, 11:18 PM
we're not talking new cars, were talking like a couple years old, i know that buying brand new is stupid and pointless unless you have the $$. I think I might go with an s14 or something like that, steering clear of the bmw idea, maybe volkswagen just because all I have heard is good things on reliability

thanks a lot for the help

Ducati
04-13-2004, 11:38 PM
My old MB is a Rock!

Still, I am not a big fan of the Euros.

Seriously - what is wrong with a couple year old Mustang? It doesn't have to be the V8. Ford's 3.0 is a great engine. Sure, it is not a tuners choice, but so what?
What is wrong with their little 2.3 l. four? Okay, it is an archaeic motor, but it works and when maintained, lasts. Its reliable and economical. So what if it is not a screaming dynamo?

Yeah, I can anticipate this: "Its a Domestic". Parts for domestics are cheap and plentiful. The car is dead simple, and there is oodles of room under the hood to work on stuff.

GTS Jeff
04-14-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by chris
we're not talking new cars, were talking like a couple years old, i know that buying brand new is stupid and pointless unless you have the $$. I think I might go with an s14 or something like that, steering clear of the bmw idea, maybe volkswagen just because all I have heard is good things on reliability

thanks a lot for the help nope them volks are just as unreliable...tho its always little things that keep breaking. bulletproof engines otherwise.