PDA

View Full Version : Differences between genarations X, Y and Z.

Ducati
04-13-2004, 12:30 PM
As a baby boomer who has always found the bulk of society is close to my own age, I find that our own celf-centredness sickens me. This is especially noticeable as we are aging, and gobbling up all of societies' resources.

I see the first demographic blip, the "Gen X", now hitting their late 30's, a polarized and cynical lot.

Generation "Y" - Aptly named; "Why" is this happening to me? "Why" do I have to work? "Why" cant I have that new BMW 325, Dad?

Are we humans just pathetic vermin who are infesting this planet, or are we creatures with a natural purpose?

Yah, sure, this thread is a bit Stream Of Conciousness, but surely someone has some opinions, rants, or erudite references of their own that might be relevent.

ehos
04-13-2004, 01:17 PM
I like this quote:

"My generation lied to me. I thought we were all supposed to be chillin and relaxing, then the went out and got rich on me."

It's ironic how baby boomers were the flower-power children, and have totally revoked their younger ways (whatever happened to all those hippies?). They became the CEO's of the big bad corps now.

I think it was a pretty cool trick. Petty hypocritical, but it worked.

Melinda
04-13-2004, 01:19 PM
Holy crap, I was thinking about all of this yesterday when I got an email from a friend...it makes you think about the 'important' stuff and not about the "politcs and society" (ie: the "why cant i have this car daddy?" kind of people)

Here's the email, shows you times have changed, even for kids today from when I was a kid like 15 years ago:

Close your eyes....And go back.... Before the Internet or the MAC…Before semi automatics and crack…Before SEGA or Super Nintendo...Way back.......

I'm talkin' bout hide and go seek at dusk.
Red light,Green light.
Playing kickball & dodgeball until the street lights came on.
Mother May I? Red Rover. Hula Hoops.
Running through the sprinkler. Happy Meals.
Watchin' Saturday Morning cartoons. Fat Albert, Road Runner,
Smurfs, Picture Pages, G-Force
The kids from the show Saved By The Bell were your idols,
and all the girls were in love with Zack
Wonder Woman & Super Man Underoos. Playing Dukes of Hazard.
Catchin' lightning bugs in a jar.
Christmas morning..you were so happy and now your not that happy lil kid any more

Your first day of school.
Bedtime Prayers and Goodnight Kisses.
Climbing trees.
Getting an Ice Cream off the Ice Cream Truck.
A million mosquito bites and sticky fingers.
Jumpin down the steps.
Being tired from playin'....
Your first crush......
Rainy days at school meant playing "Heads up 7Up" in the class room.
Remember that? I'm not finished yet....

Kool-aid was the drink of summer.
Riding your friends on your handle bars.
Wearing your new shoes on the first day of school.
Class Field Trips.
When nearly everyone's mom was at home when the kids got there.
When a quarter seemed like a fair allowance and another quarter a miracle.
When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to carry groceries, and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.
When your parents took you to McDonalds and you were so cool.
When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.
Basically, we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!
And some of us are still afraid of em!!!

Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, Yeah, I remember that!
There's nothing like the good old days!
They were good then, and they're good now when we think about them.
Share some of these thoughts with a friend who can relate, then share it with someone that missed out on them.

I want to go back to the time when............
Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo",
mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "do over!"
"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.
Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in Monopoly.
Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening.
Being old, referred to anyone over 20.
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was cooties.
Nobody was prettier than Mom.
Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.
It was no big deal to finally be tall enough to ride, the "big people" rides at the amusement park.
Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.
Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dog-dare".
Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.
The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
Water balloons were the ultimate weapon.
Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.
If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED!!!!

thich
04-13-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Ducati
Generation "Y" - Aptly named; "Why" is this happening to me? "Why" do I have to work? "Why" cant I have that new BMW 325, Dad?

I'm an earlier Gen Y and I dun think this really characterizes me or my friends in this age bracket.
I think culture plays a lot in it too. :dunno:

my rant: why do all the younger Gen Y have to be such annoying runts?? :banghead:

I thought Gen Z isn't due for a few more years?

Orbie
04-13-2004, 02:15 PM
Man, I think about these types of things all the time, but mostly because the more I grow up the more I realize that the best days of your life are the ones you have already lived.

The most horrible thing, is when you're young you're in such a rush to grow older, that when your older you realize how short life really is and how sometimes you wish you took that extra minute to enjoy things...tis the bane of taking things for granted.

As for your list Melinda, I don't remember some of those things. I think there is some kind of chronological problem with them, for one, when Save by the Bell was big, kids were getting ALOT more then a quarter for allowance, that's more like back in the days before TV and a quarter could buy you a five bottles of Coke.

But some of those things I do remember, like Heads up 7up, I had totally forgotten about that game!

My list in addition to yours would be:
Getting up early on Saturdays to watch cartoons like GI-Joe, Transformers, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
In the afternoon settling down with: Mr. Dress-up, The Polk-a-Dot door, Reading Rainbow, Harriet's Magic Hat and The Friendly Giant.
Being over 20 was considered old, (and still is now, being over 20 I feel like 30).
Watching Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer on TV every year got you all excited for Christmas.
You could be bored look at anything and have the imagination to think of a game to play with it.
These are many of the big things I miss...

Gonthro
04-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Orbie
Man, I think about these types of things all the time, but mostly because the more I grow up the more I realize that the best days of your life are the ones you have already lived.

The most horrible thing, is when you're young you're in such a rush to grow older, that when your older you realize how short life really is and how sometimes you wish you took that extra minute to enjoy things...tis the bane of taking things for granted.

i TOTALLY agree with this, i was in such a hurry to grow up, and now i look back, and i missed so much because of it!

i was working when i was 12, never had a chance to be a kid, out in my own place at 17, agian, no time to enjoy life, and now with a kid at 19, you'd think i'd have learned, but i am trying to change, and enjoy life now, and try to regain some of what i missed.

Melinda
04-13-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Gonthro
and now with a kid at 19, you'd think i'd have learned, but i am trying to change, and enjoy life now, and try to regain some of what i missed.
Just make sure your kid has all the good 'kid stuff' and you'll be amazed how much it'll take you back and make you feel like a kid too :) I have a boyfriend that didnt do alot of the stuff that I really thought was super awesome as a kid and I have a great time doing some of the little (and big) things for him. Live your childhood through your little one and you'll get the best of both worlds :thumbsup:

hjr
04-13-2004, 02:44 PM
all i remember was ninja turtles this and ninja turtles that

Gonthro
04-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Melinda

Just make sure your kid has all the good 'kid stuff' and you'll be amazed how much it'll take you back and make you feel like a kid too :) I have a boyfriend that didnt do alot of the stuff that I really thought was super awesome as a kid and I have a great time doing some of the little (and big) things for him. Live your childhood through your little one and you'll get the best of both worlds :thumbsup:

i hav ebeen doing this, thats how i have been attempting to "get some of it back" i am enjoying it alot, and trying to make sure he has, what i missed :D

mo_virgin
04-13-2004, 03:44 PM
The Knowledge gap between the Generations is huge... more so than any other time in Human history. Kids starting school this year are going to know an infinite amount more of everything than me and im only 18. Especially about technology and computers, i have a feeling that when some of these kids born today reach the age of 15 they will know more computer programming language than many of today's Comsci grads.

A_3
04-13-2004, 03:53 PM
don't forget the recess football in elementry school, there could be 2 feet of snow out and we'd still be playing. 5 steamboats was the count but even if they rushed on 6 everyone would argue they still rushed on 4.

TheBiz
04-13-2004, 04:12 PM
holy fuck, I did every damn thing on all those lists, they are so true, I miss them so much. damn fucking cars.

ApexDrift
04-13-2004, 04:59 PM
question : Differences between genarations X, Y and Z.????

answer : dumb, dumber, dumberer

Ducati
04-13-2004, 10:15 PM
The best is yet to come.

For you who is a dad at 19 - when you are only 37 you will have an 18 year old to keep you current. Your son/daughter will still be close enough in age that you will be able to relate to them and vice versa. The best days of your life are a ways off yet.

Age is a state of mind. Sure, eventually your tolerances for mayhem deteriorate (along with your eyesight) and you dont really loose hair. It migrates.

The waves of demographics is punctuated mainly by trends (ie: Music etc) and the passing of one popular trend to another is what delineates the generation as new and seperate. Generally, this happens about every decade or so.

It is fun to live through. Keep pictures.

SwitchBlade
04-13-2004, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Melinda
Holy crap, I was thinking about all of this yesterday when I got an email from a friend...it makes you think about the 'important' stuff and not about the "politcs and society" (ie: the "why cant i have this car daddy?" kind of people)

Here's the email, shows you times have changed, even for kids today from when I was a kid like 15 years ago:

Close your eyes....And go back.... Before the Internet or the MAC…Before semi automatics and crack…Before SEGA or Super Nintendo...Way back.......

I'm talkin' bout hide and go seek at dusk.
Red light,Green light.
Playing kickball & dodgeball until the street lights came on.
Mother May I? Red Rover. Hula Hoops.
Running through the sprinkler. Happy Meals.
Watchin' Saturday Morning cartoons. Fat Albert, Road Runner,
Smurfs, Picture Pages, G-Force
The kids from the show Saved By The Bell were your idols,
and all the girls were in love with Zack
Wonder Woman & Super Man Underoos. Playing Dukes of Hazard.
Catchin' lightning bugs in a jar.
Christmas morning..you were so happy and now your not that happy lil kid any more

Your first day of school.
Bedtime Prayers and Goodnight Kisses.
Climbing trees.
Getting an Ice Cream off the Ice Cream Truck.
A million mosquito bites and sticky fingers.
Jumpin down the steps.
Being tired from playin'....
Your first crush......
Rainy days at school meant playing "Heads up 7Up" in the class room.
Remember that? I'm not finished yet....

Kool-aid was the drink of summer.
Riding your friends on your handle bars.
Wearing your new shoes on the first day of school.
Class Field Trips.
When nearly everyone's mom was at home when the kids got there.
When a quarter seemed like a fair allowance and another quarter a miracle.
When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him or use him to carry groceries, and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.
When your parents took you to McDonalds and you were so cool.
When being sent to the principal's office was nothing compared to the fate that awaited a misbehaving student at home.
Basically, we were in fear for our lives, but it wasn't because of drive by shootings, drugs, gangs, etc. Our parents and grandparents were a much bigger threat!
And some of us are still afraid of em!!!

Didn't that feel good, just to go back and say, Yeah, I remember that!
There's nothing like the good old days!
They were good then, and they're good now when we think about them.
Share some of these thoughts with a friend who can relate, then share it with someone that missed out on them.

I want to go back to the time when............
Decisions were made by going "eeny-meeny-miney-mo",
mistakes were corrected by simply exclaiming, "do over!"
"Race issue" meant arguing about who ran the fastest.
Money issues were handled by whoever was the banker in Monopoly.
Catching the fireflies could happily occupy an entire evening.
Being old, referred to anyone over 20.
The worst thing you could catch from the opposite sex was cooties.
Nobody was prettier than Mom.
Scrapes and bruises were kissed and made better.
It was no big deal to finally be tall enough to ride, the "big people" rides at the amusement park.
Getting a foot of snow was a dream come true.
Abilities were discovered because of a "double-dog-dare".
Spinning around, getting dizzy and falling down was cause for giggles.
The worst embarrassment was being picked last for a team.
Water balloons were the ultimate weapon.
Older siblings were the worst tormentors, but also the fiercest protectors.
If you can remember most or all of these, then you have LIVED!!!!

I got that email too, its a good one really makes you think how things have changed.

autobodygal
04-13-2004, 10:58 PM
The best is yet to come.

For you who is a dad at 19 - when you are only 37 you will have an 18 year old to keep you current. Your son/daughter will still be close enough in age that you will be able to relate to them and vice versa. The best days of your life are a ways off yet.

This is so my life!! I had my son when I was 16, he is 20 now. We are closer now than I thought possible. He has kept me young at heart. When we go out somewhere, people think we are brother and sister.

I needed this thread, needed to take a moment to remember what it was like. And I did enjoy the memories. Thanks for all the reminders of things I used to do. :thumbsup:

Khyron
04-14-2004, 11:20 AM
Next beyond meet:

CHICKEN FIGHTS!!!

Khyron

Melinda
04-14-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Khyron
Next beyond meet:

CHICKEN FIGHTS!!!

Khyron
Haha yeah! And don't forget the water balloons and squirt guns! :D

xkon
04-14-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by autobodygal

This is so my life!! I had my son when I was 16, he is 20 now. We are closer now than I thought possible. He has kept me young at heart. When we go out somewhere, people think we are brother and sister.

I needed this thread, needed to take a moment to remember what it was like. And I did enjoy the memories. Thanks for all the reminders of things I used to do. :thumbsup:

I had my daughter at 21... I feel like a kid again!! ill be 39 when shes done HS!! love it!!!

sputnik
04-14-2004, 12:02 PM
does anyone remember the playground game "Four Square"?

DSMer4Life
04-14-2004, 12:40 PM
Four square was during my time! How 'bout hand ball? Man, those were the days.:clap:

Ducati
04-14-2004, 12:56 PM
Dodge Ball
Pom Pom Pullaway
Building rafts and treehouses
Eat The Buzzard
Burn the old Outhouse Down
Feel up your little sisters friends....
man, we had FUN.

TheBiz
04-14-2004, 01:26 PM
Wall ball
Tag
Cops and robbers
Candy land
Ride as far as you can on your bike till noon, then turn around and come back.
Catching bugs
Lego
Secret clubs, no girls allowed
checkers
helloween
playing dress up
lemonade stands

A_3
04-14-2004, 05:10 PM
pogs man, don't forget pogs... wall ball was amazing we used to have some wicked games with all these twisted rules... ahh the good ol' days.

davidI
04-14-2004, 05:40 PM
My big two were street hockey and hockey card collecting/trading!

I miss those days :tear:

finboy
04-15-2004, 08:03 PM
Originally posted by A_3
pogs man, don't forget pogs... wall ball was amazing we used to have some wicked games with all these twisted rules... ahh the good ol' days.

werd, did you guys ever use your hat as a glove?

i miss highschool the most, if only i could go back...with my car, damn i'd be a PIMP :bigpimp:

Ducati
04-18-2004, 01:06 AM
Before computers and video games we had Music, and before that we made treeforts and rafts. And then we did diabolical things like lay in wait by the Ness Ave bridge and throw human feces at the metro transit bus as it passed.
We raided gardens and played war. We would sneak out the bedroom window, meet at some predetermined spot, and plotted our night of mischief. We laid ambushes for the lone patrolling RCMP cruiser and egg the fucker with shoplifted eggs, and split in all directions; we burnt down the outhouses of the weird old cat lady and her retarded son fell in the hole. We set haybales on our raft when we were tired of it (usually because it was flooding and the creek was raging) set fire to the haybales, and set it adrift on Sturgeon Creek. It would hit Ness Ave bridge and fling burning hay into traffic. The mayhem was hilarious. We dropped rotting pumpkins filled with shit onto cars below. Man, we had fun.

Thank god that computers and video games have turned kids into zombies, because I would KILL the kid who dropped a shit filled pumpkin on me.

Delta
05-14-2004, 11:09 PM
Damn, i'm only 18, I did alot of those things on the list but i wanna live more, do more things, go on adventures lol. Now i don't wanna grow old. This thread motivates me more to take advantage of the time I have.

Meteorite
05-17-2004, 10:34 PM

Thank god that computers and video games have turned kids into zombies, because I would KILL the kid who dropped a shit filled pumpkin on me.

What I want to know is, What is "Eat the Buzzard"?
Too bad I will never find out.
How did someone who posts such interesting and funny stuff as I have read from him get banned?

MM93
05-19-2004, 11:01 AM
I was thinking about this kinda thing yesterday.......i was going to the moive and i was saying to a friend how i remeber $2- tuesdays.
As long as i can remeber its always cheap on tuesday. No it is nolonger.
Funny how it took that long to change.

hjr
05-19-2004, 11:46 AM
movies are still cheap on tuesday, only its 9 bucks instead of 2

Dogg
05-30-2004, 01:27 AM
Shit filled pumpkins? Thats pretty good. Maybe later I will confess some of the sick twisted pranks I pulled off as a kid.

I am a Gen Y, and I will agree about the whiner part. Thats all I ever heard in high school; "Fucking Baby Boomers got all the good jobs" and "Gen Xers shit caused everyone to clampdown on us" and "They poisoned the planet, we have to clean up their mess" and all sorts of excuse making.

Well, guess what. Us cleaning up the planet is a profitable thing. In this age of no opportunities my best high school buddy has become a millionaire before he was 30 by taking his treehugging environmental fanaticism that he had in high school and doing something about it. He started by volunteering to clean up after the Exxon Valdez as a young teenager, and parlayed what he learned into a business that cleans up toxic spills and waste sites.

He is 32 now, and owns two houses and a condo in Vancouver, a 1999 Porsche and a Harley Davidson version F150 (Ostensibly, its "for work" - he wants to replace it with a hybrid-fuel truck as soon as they are available).
He went to Kwantlen College and got a business diploma. Thats all. No MBA or B.Comm.

Moral - take what you love or believe in strongly and do something with it.