PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my car?! HELP!

Davetronz
10-08-2002, 04:37 PM
So yesterday I got the oil change done, and today I got the alarm installed. When the alarm was being installed they blew a main fuse somehow and also the radiator fan fuse :dunno: I got a new one from Dodge. No worries there.

Before the oil change I noticed that the oil light was flashing a bit every once and a while, and would stop when I revved the engine. This seemed to go away after the oil change until today driving it home from getting the alarm installed.

I was pulling up to a stop light and the oil light began to flicker and when I came to a stop it went on fully. The light remained on, and the engine RPM's dropped very close to stalling. I revved up the engine and checked the oil pressure which read to be ok.

As I revved the RPMs went up and the oil light went off. When I got to the next light the same thing happened, and I did the same solution. I drove the 1 more block home and the same thing occured on the driveway as I was pulling into the garage, I had to keep the car revved up in order to keep the RPM's up and make sure the oil light didnt come on.

I turned off the engine and popped the hood and checked the oil and its all fine.

What is wrong with my car, and how much is is going to cost me, and how easy is it to do? :( :(

95TsiAWD
10-08-2002, 04:48 PM
check to make sure the big fusible link for your alternator isn't blown. Also check all the rest of the fuses.
I'm betting on the alternator though, sounds pretty familiar ;)

infamous
10-08-2002, 04:48 PM
i would say you should just give your car to me! that way you won't have any problems with it ever again ;) :thumbsup: :clap: :werd: :clap: :thumbsup: ;)

Redlyne_mr2
10-08-2002, 04:49 PM
oil pump perhaps..

Redlyne_mr2
10-08-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by 95TsiAWD
check to make sure the big fusible link for your alternator isn't blown. Also check all the rest of the fuses.
btw why would the oil light go on if the alternator was hooped, if it was the alternator all lights woudl come on

95TsiAWD
10-08-2002, 04:52 PM
yeah sometimes all, sometimes none, sometimes the rad light, sometimes the parking brake light. Sometimes my lights come on when I turn the car off and off again when I turn the car on (yet they are daytime running lights).
He mentioned they blew his alternator fuse earlier, if the car is getting low on juice it would idle badly and any combo of lights could come on. Electrical gremlins are wierd that way.

Redlyne_mr2
10-08-2002, 04:57 PM
yeah sometimes all, sometimes none, sometimes the rad light, sometimes the parking brake light. Sometimes my lights come on when I turn the car off and off again when I turn the car on (yet they are daytime running lights).
He mentioned they blew his alternator fuse earlier, if the car is getting low on juice it would idle badly and any combo of lights could come on. Electrical gremlins are wierd that way.
if you really have to rev it to keep the engine going and you haev abunch of warning lights coming on then it may be time for an alternator

95TsiAWD
10-08-2002, 05:00 PM
exactly, but I'd check the fuse first. If the battery is low on power it will show some of the same symptoms. I just went through this a few months back and after yanking the alternator noticed the fuse was blown.

Davetronz
10-08-2002, 05:02 PM
Where is the "big fusible link" for the alternator?

The rest of the fuses seem fine...

95TsiAWD
10-08-2002, 05:05 PM
Should be a blue 100A fusible link (looks like a really big fuse) in the fuse box under the hood. You should be able to look at the top and tell if it is blown or not.

Davetronz
10-08-2002, 05:12 PM
Should be a blue 100A fusible link (looks like a really big fuse) in the fuse box under the hood. You should be able to look at the top and tell if it is blown or not.
Yea that one is ok. What next :(

95TsiAWD
10-08-2002, 05:18 PM
Now you're fooked, I'd start to think about that oil pump now. Get a real oil pressure gauge (one with numbers on it, not little lines) and see what it's putting out for pressure. If it isn't more than 11psi at idle (that's the service limit I beleive) then get ready to fork out some cash.
I'll let you know if I think of anything else.

Davetronz
10-08-2002, 05:20 PM
Should I check the charge in the battery? Maybe the alternator is gone or going?

I am upset :( :dunno:
Where is the oil sensor and pump located?

95TsiAWD
10-08-2002, 05:23 PM
Check the battery voltage with the car off, if it's over 12 volts it's okay. Then check the battery voltage with the car on, it should be around 13.88 volts or higher.
It could be a loose connection for the oil pressure sender but that wouldn't explain the bad idle. The pressure sender is scrwed into the oil filter housing (which would be the thing you screw the oil filter onto :D)
The oil pump is behind the front case, so you get to do the timing belt and all it's associated goodies at the same time.

Davetronz
10-08-2002, 05:33 PM
Ok, the battery has been tested and it runs at great levels....
Which rules out battery, or alternator (or most electrical for that matter).

However we are getting closer to the oil pump now :(

cocoabrova
10-08-2002, 05:39 PM
What if the sending unit itself is faulty?? That would cause the intemittent oil light, wouldn't it? Is the car throwing any CEL's?? If the ECM is reading low oil pressure from a faulty sending unit/wiring, it might cause the erratic idle.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, it could actually BE the oil pump needs replacing.... :thumbsdow

Davetronz
10-08-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
What if the sending unit itself is faulty?? That would cause the intemittent oil light, wouldn't it? Is the car throwing any CEL's?? If the ECM is reading low oil pressure from a faulty sending unit/wiring, it might cause the erratic idle.
On the opposite end of the spectrum, it could actually BE the oil pump needs replacing.... :thumbsdow
No check engine lights. Only on start up and thats normal.

95TsiAWD
10-08-2002, 05:46 PM
The oil pressure sender wouldn't cause bad idle anyway. I've seen the sender wire clipped off before and the car shows no oil pressure and still idles like a champ

cocoabrova
10-08-2002, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by cocoabrova
[BOn the opposite end of the spectrum, it could actually BE the oil pump needs replacing.... :thumbsdow [/B]:dunno:

Davetronz
10-08-2002, 06:29 PM
My car must know that I am mad at it.... As it seems to have stopped its acting up. I might drive it around Edgemont for a while and test her out.
I am doubting that the alarm install had anything to do with the problems, unless maybe a surge zapped something. I am also doubting that the oil change yesterday had anything to do with it. Looks like it might have just been time for my sending unit, or oil pump to crap out.

Thanks for your help Blake, hopefully we will figure it out tomorow with the datalogger. Looks like there is oil in the engine, so it may be something that we are overlooking, or maybe something heat related. Time will tell.

Anyways, I should be happy it isnt crankwalk or anythin ;)

Davetronz
10-09-2002, 02:05 AM
Ok, so I think I have the problem identified. It has taken all night, of me being miserable and tinkering with the DSM to come to this theory. Now remember I am a computer tech and not a mechanic by any means so dont laugh at my theory. Might be the cause and solution of the problem. I think Blake has pointed me in the right direction here.

On my drive to pick up my girlfriend in my old 1992 Crapmaro, was when I devised this theory and it incorporates some grade 8 science, and some highschool chemistry and common sense!

When I was driving the Camaro I remembered that Blake mentioned that the problem may not have ANYTHING to do with the oil pump but rather the idle of the car.

So I put this to a test. I got the Camaro to a relatively warm temperature, and then played around with a bunch of stops and starts. Now the Camaro is a beast, and tends to idle a bit high. Well if I let out the clutch to the friction point, the idle begins to drop, as do the RPM's. As the RPM's drop the check oil light flashed on and off and then lit up solid before the Crapmaro sputtered and stalled out.

I repeated this a few times and it did the same thing each time. I decided to grab another vehicle and try this too. Saw my neighbour get home and asked her if I could borrow her car for 2 seconds. Tried out my test and it did the same thing on her car.

So here is my theory. The oil pump, the sending unit and everything oil related and parts related on my car is fine. There is no problems caused by the oil change nor the blowing of the fuse. However there is a problem with my car idle.

My car idles very low, around 400 rpm or so. Now, before my oil change the oil was very old, broken down and very thin and not viscous at all. When oil encounters heat it breaks down, and gets thinner. Thinner warmer oil reduces oil pressure if I am correct. Now, normally, with regular 10w30 oil, this probably wouldnt make a difference, but I am using 5w30 for winter. This oil is less viscous, therefore creating the same problem with the oil pressure at higher temperatures and lower viscosity. Now, in conjunction with my low idle, the oil pressure is already dropping due to the low idle, when combined with very thin 5w30 oil for winter or older oil, this causes the pressure to become quite low, or not enough to keep the car running and it begins to stall out.

Now the solution to my problem, which I dont know how to fix
1) Raise the idle.
2) Install new thermostat so the car doesnt get as hot...
Although installing a new thermostat isnt necessarily needed as it will be winter soon, so raising my really low idle will improve this problem.
3) Add thicker oil to the engine to provide more viscosity.
4) Could have a lose vacuum line as well....

Well thats it. Please dont laugh at me.... Like I said, this isnt my area of specialty, I am just using some common sense here.

Hey Blake, does this sound right? Can you still come over with the datalogger and do some mods with me ;) And help me raise the idle ??? :)

David

2000impreza
10-09-2002, 02:51 AM
why don't you try and tighten your throttle cable a bit? that should raise the idle.

Davetronz
10-09-2002, 03:09 AM
There is some kinda screw I turn to raise my idle.....
http://www.vfaq.com/mods/BISS-2G.html

But it says I need a special device, I wonder if I REALLY need it?
Any ideas Blake or Tom?

95TsiAWD
10-09-2002, 08:22 AM
We'll hook it up to the logger tonight and see what RPM it is idling at. It'll give us the exact value not just guessing by the tach. If it's low we'll check out some things like vacumn hoses, BISS screw, TPS and throttle cable.
Rob (Internet Stealth Guy) get ahold of Dave if you want to come over :)

Davetronz
10-09-2002, 12:40 PM
Rob (Internet Stealth Guy) and I talked last night, we live super close to each other. Rob, you are welcome too. Just message me and we will work out the details :)

So I decided I want to try to get those mods done tonight if they wont take too long. I guess I should leave my car in one peice for tonight before the logger, altho I am gonna run down to crappy tire and get one of those filters for the tube thing that goes off the engine thing and looks easy to install and collects the yucky oil... (That is my tech description of the day!!!)

Blake - What should I pull off today to make sure its all ready so we dont take a long time pulling off panels and shit for the data logger and for the tests?
Do you know the K&N intake part number? I think maybe I will get rid of the stock airbox if we need to pull it off to cut the BOV dump tube anyways :)

95TsiAWD
10-09-2002, 01:11 PM
No idea on the part number, mine came with my snorkel replacement. Just ask at the parts desk, you'll need an adapter to run a conical filter anyway so you'll have to get the K&N and adapter as a kit.
Leave everything together for now, we'll need a running car to datalog.

Davetronz
10-09-2002, 01:51 PM
Ok, I found a K&N kit at Mopac to replace the whole stock air box. My dad sells to Mopac so I am gonna go see what I can get the set up for. Plus I have a credit on the account...

Awwww ok I wont pull anything apart ;)

And I guess I have to drive the Crapmaro down there :( Or maybe I will take the Z71 mmmmmmmm Z71 ;)

Davetronz
10-09-2002, 07:59 PM
Well, I would like to thank Blake for helping out tonight.
The datalogger reported no errors, my compression is alright, my vacuum lines arent leaking (however there is a weird air bubbling the oil in the engine when we test the vacuum lines, I will let Blake explain), my plugs are fine. So if the problem persists (depending on what the bubbling oil means, I might just raise up my idle a bit...

On the brighter side, I installed my K&N intake, and cut my BOV dump tube, and added my $3 catch can onto one of the lines that dumps gross oil into the turbo. My car has a noticable increase in power now, and is a lot louder!

Thanks Blake! And thanks to everyone else who helped out!

95TsiAWD
10-09-2002, 08:09 PM
When we pressurize the intake system you can hear air escaping into the oil and making a gurgling/bubbling sound. My first thought was that the rings were fucked so we compression tested it and it was 170-165-168-150. The last cylinder was a little low but all mine are around the 160-150 mark so with 150 there's no way there could be enough ring damage to leak air through. My other thought was PCV valve but that was fine too.
I'll have to do some more research.

DSM Power
10-09-2002, 10:27 PM
Hey Dave, glad to hear that things are working out for you. Sorry I missed this thread earlier or I would've chimed in. :)

BTW, you do know who wrote those VFAQs on the dumptube and $3 catchcan don't ya? :D :rofl:

Which K&N FIPK did you end up going with?

Blake, do you think a wet test would provide any more useful insight? :dunno:

CLiVE
10-09-2002, 10:47 PM
oops, I just saw these posts now...next time someone PM me, or call me? I would have been there for sure...
Glad to hear things are working out! Hey will that datalogger work for my stealth? I'm getting this weird hesitation problem at higher boost. I'm hoping the new plugs will solve it???

The $3 catchcan mod is great!! and $3...!!! I think someone around here wrote the VFAQ...DSM Power might know who wrote it...lol???

Davetronz
10-09-2002, 11:56 PM
Ha ha sorry Rob, I was hoping that you would see the post as I made it right when we were PM'ing each other. Next time.

Tom, yea I had a funny feeling that it was your site and all :) Thanks for the great mods! Feels so much more powerful now.

I am not sure of the exact model number of K&N that I have, but it is apparently the SAME one you have, a bit larger than Blake's.

95TsiAWD
10-10-2002, 08:25 AM
I dunno, I'm going to just give up and say it's normal. I posted the question on "fight club" (Tom knows ;) ) and found that actually a lot of guys have this problem (some really big names in fact). After replacing headgaskets, testing cooling system, pressurizing the oil system, etc. and finding nothing everyone concludes it's the turbo. Apparently depending on the seals used on the turbine shaft it will seal up fine for oil but allow small amounts of air to slip by causing the gurgling. They said it's fine and nothing to worry about (and from the source I got it from I'd say it's quite reliable info).
So your car is good to go Dave, keep me informed on the idle issues.

Davetronz
10-10-2002, 09:23 AM
I dunno, I'm going to just give up and say it's normal. I posted the question on "fight club" (Tom knows ;) ) and found that actually a lot of guys have this problem (some really big names in fact). After replacing headgaskets, testing cooling system, pressurizing the oil system, etc. and finding nothing everyone concludes it's the turbo. Apparently depending on the seals used on the turbine shaft it will seal up fine for oil but allow small amounts of air to slip by causing the gurgling. They said it's fine and nothing to worry about (and from the source I got it from I'd say it's quite reliable info).
So your car is good to go Dave, keep me informed on the idle issues.
Thanks Blake! That is very very very re-assuring :)
As far as the idle issues, it did it last night a little bit, but not as bad as usual, might turn that BISS screw just a little bit and see what happens :) Otherwise it is sounding, and feeling amazing :D

95TsiAWD
10-10-2002, 11:29 AM
The solution here of course is more mods. It won't help your idle out any but you can blame it on your big injectors/fuel computer/whatever ;)

CLiVE
10-10-2002, 11:30 AM
The solution here of course is more mods. It won't help your idle out any but you can blame it on your big injectors/fuel computer/whatever ;)

The solution here...? The solution is always more mods....:D

Davetronz
10-10-2002, 01:31 PM
Hahahahaha. Now that I can hear my turbo and BOV, I am happier than a pig in shit! I didnt listen to my stereo at ALL last night!

CLiVE
10-10-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by TurboDSM
Hahahahaha. Now that I can hear my turbo and BOV, I am happier than a pig in shit! I didnt listen to my stereo at ALL last night!

ha ha...join the club. Who needs a stereo when you have a turbo and a BOV. I always roll my window down just so I can hear the car better....and my g/f always says "role up the window its too cold.."..lol.

Davetronz
10-10-2002, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by memystealthandi

ha ha...join the club. Who needs a stereo when you have a turbo and a BOV. I always roll my window down just so I can hear the car better....and my g/f always says "role up the window its too cold.."..lol.
Mine got scared last night when she heard the turbo and BOV. She is just starting to get used to it again. So that means before she gets used to it all the way (and driving with the windows down and with the radio off) we need to do more mods! :D

95TsiAWD
10-10-2002, 05:01 PM
I'm telling you, the stock downpipe is all the exhaust you need :thumbsup:

DSM Power
10-10-2002, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by TurboDSM

Mine got scared last night when she heard the turbo and BOV. She is just starting to get used to it again.

LOL ! :rofl:

I'm telling you, the stock downpipe is all the exhaust you need

Ahh, tell me about it! :banghead:

Good to hear that the 'fight club' had the scoop on this one! :D :werd:

CLiVE
10-10-2002, 08:21 PM
hehe...BOV's are scary stuff.

I've had 3 different people now say to me while riding in my car..."was that NOS" when the BOV went off....LMAO.

DSM Power
10-10-2002, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by memystealthandi
"was that NOS ?"

:rofl: :rofl:

Davetronz
10-10-2002, 10:29 PM
HHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHAHAAH That is great Tom :)

CLiVE
10-10-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by DSM Power

:rofl: :rofl:

lol. I was waiting for that pic...lol. That's what I've told them everytime....they said "was that NOS"....