PDA

View Full Version : Update on stolen 97 Civic Si: Found but stripped

semasema
10-08-2002, 07:15 PM
The cops found the Civic in some apartment building parking lot today. My friend said they took all the stereo equipment (it was some nice shiet too) and the Valentine 1. They also f*cked up the steering column. Ahhh well, we all better keep on the lookout.

Weapon_R
10-08-2002, 07:36 PM
Sorry to hear that man..glad u found it so quickly though

Ferio_vti
10-08-2002, 07:39 PM
What's Valentine 1??

gpomp
10-08-2002, 07:40 PM
A radar detector.

Stratus_Power
10-08-2002, 07:47 PM
the best one!! aint those thing like 400 US?

Weapon_R
10-08-2002, 07:48 PM
Yes. They are damn expensive but awesome! Detects all forms of laser and radar (including photo) for a range of about 1/2 m

Redlyne_mr2
10-08-2002, 08:12 PM
shit thats crazy..at least they found it and hopefully the dudes insurance will reward him with new gear..
A friend of mine caught 2 guys inside of his type r trying to steal it after a concert....he wnet absolutely insane and took them both down (he's not a huge guy either)..one of the guys managed to run away, the other got up and my buddy took him down again..it wasnt until he was smoked over the head with a ratchet by the thief that the fucking criminal escaped...god I felt so bad for him...that was in montreal and now calgary seems to be gettign just as bad

ninjak84
10-08-2002, 08:23 PM
you'd think with so many cops out on the street now, they would be able to ctach some of this. i dont know, it just seems to me that they arent paying enough attention to theft in this city. they'll be in your face when you get the tail-lights, but try to avoid it when they get stolen. maybe avoid isnt the best word tho...

my opinion.

infamous
10-08-2002, 08:33 PM
yeah but there are only so many cops in such a big space ninja, they can't be everywhere all the time. especially when vehicles are being stolen from parkades, unless someone sees them and calls the cops, there isn't really much that can be done. imo, they should have camera's everywhere in the city. it would get the theft rate way down really quick. but that also brings the privacy issue up. damn there is really no way to keep your car from being stolen, other than to park it inside a garage with the club with an alarm with it chained to the garage floor, with an engine immobilizer switch. even then the best car theives can still get away with it. :(

Tux
10-08-2002, 09:56 PM
My condolences. I hope the insurance company won't dick you around too much.

Unfortuantely, no real amount of gadgetry will prevent a real pro thief from taking your ride. If you have the club they snip the wheel. You can break window with porcelain chips and not set off the alarm. Immobilizers can be defeated if you try hard enough. Really, all you can do is deter a pretty car jacker, but if a real pro wants your ride, they're going to get it no matter what. Pretty much the only thing you can do is make you car seem as inconspicious and uninviting as possible and hope it'll get passed by.

sml
10-09-2002, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Yes. They are damn expensive but awesome! Detects all forms of laser and radar (including photo) for a range of about 1/2 m

Maybe the cops stole the whole car just to take the V1 so that the driver can't escape from radars anymore! Since radar detectors are legal in Alberta, I guess the cops are taking justice into their own hands! :rofl:

sportryder
10-09-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by infamous
yeah but there are only so many cops in such a big space ninja, they can't be everywhere all the time. especially when vehicles are being stolen from parkades, unless someone sees them and calls the cops, there isn't really much that can be done. imo, they should have camera's everywhere in the city. it would get the theft rate way down really quick. but that also brings the privacy issue up. damn there is really no way to keep your car from being stolen, other than to park it inside a garage with the club with an alarm with it chained to the garage floor, with an engine immobilizer switch. even then the best car theives can still get away with it. :(

You would think the University of Calgary would know more about the ongoing thefts in their lots. Speaking of camera's, the university has camera's on all the buildings aimed at their lots. With all these theft's you would think they got at least something with those cameras or the guards must be sleeping on the job.

CLiVE
10-09-2002, 03:52 PM
Yeah, the best car theives could still get away with it, no matter what system it had......but the point is (as sad as it may sound) all the security alarms/club/etc, on your car will hopefully get them to move on to the next car that doesn't have all the security goodies....an easier target..