PDA

View Full Version : Mustang 2.3 litre 4 cyl. feedback needed

Ducati
04-15-2004, 03:06 PM
I have heard a lot of criticism of American vehicleshere and elsewhere, however it has been dorected primarily at GM J-bodies and Neons.
What about the basic little Mustang?

I am researching the candidates for a short list for my girlfriend, and if a brand new car is out of her affordability, I am looking for some reliable basic preferrably RWD car. I have never heard any critique of the Mustang any more valid than that they are not as "refined" as Jap imports. So What? I am interested in reliability, ease of maintenance (I'll be doing it), economy and parts availability and affordability.

Who can provide feedback about Mustangs? I seriously doubt that I can get her to go for the GT or a rare SVO, or a manual transmission (damn!).

NickGT
04-15-2004, 03:28 PM
Loved my 4 bangers. I started with a 1990 Coupe 5 speed. It was nice for the 2 weeks I had it before someone rear ended me and totalled the car. Almost immediately after I found a 1989 Coupe (Auto) with next to no rust anywhere. I kept that car until about a week ago when I sold it cause i bought my newer one.

The car had around 175k on it, and 230k when I sold it. In that time period alot of things required repairs. The big things were the heater core, transmission, and I had the engine pulled to re-do a number of seals. The repairs aren't to bad if you plan for it. It is an older car. The only time the car left me stranded was when the tranny let go. Luckily that was going up a hill not to far from my house so I just coasted right back onto the driveway.

The auto sucked the life right out of the little car. I would recommend going with the 5 speed. But don't expect to much still.

It was always reliable for me. I loved the styling. The only thing it was missing was a bigger motor. But I know what you mean if your looking for some basic transportation with some style.

Repairs - Really easy. Lots of room in the engine bay. Did my water pump myself before it was sold, simple. And I'm nothing of a mechanic. With the repair manual I have it was all straight forward.

Parts - Cheap enough that I was able to fix anything as was needed. And I'm no rich bastard by any means. I can find my reciepts if you need an idea for anything in specific.

economy - 21mpg (city), 27mpg (highway)