PDA

View Full Version : Hondaology 101

Ducati
04-15-2004, 03:09 PM
Shit! And I thought I knew it all. I don't.
That being said, what are the various Honda engines and which are the best ones, and why? What vehicles did they come in?
Which ones are good stock, and which are the best to modify?
Any feedback along these lines would be a learning experience for me.

dogmaiwli
04-15-2004, 04:05 PM
like photoshop but cars

Ie.... I have no idea what a JD20E is except that it is an engine, what kind of car does it come in, what makes it special etc.......
That kind of stuff.

Some of us are more computer geek than car know it all, But we want to learn

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< I.e. ---- ME

ryder_23
04-15-2004, 04:08 PM
Are you considering acura engines as well?

Ducati
04-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Yes.
The Integra engine is able to be swapped into other Honda products, I understand.

My reasons for asking are twofold;
1) To find out what the best Used Honda/Acura is to buy, and
2) If I chose to modify said used car.

DUBBED
04-15-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
Are you considering acura engines as well?

There's no such thing as an Acura engine.

ryder_23
04-15-2004, 05:49 PM
^
I know...its all honda...but just didnt know if he wanted just engines that come in canadian hondas...or if engines from acuras as well

Ducati
04-15-2004, 05:55 PM
If an engine is unavailable in BC or elsewhere in Canada, that might complicate things - or would it?

The b18 appears to have a series delineated by year or upgrades. Which is best and why? Are there others to consider?

The Honda appears to be the hotrodders Small Block Chev of the new millenia. I know my V8 dinosaur motors, but have not kept my knowledge current on the imports, other than a brief stint selling new cars, and modified cars was not something I usually dealt with.

Weapon_R
04-15-2004, 08:09 PM
The best engine honda makes is the b18b - found in Acura Integras.

Ducati
04-15-2004, 08:36 PM
Any particular years?

Weapon_R
04-15-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Ducati
Any particular years?

Arguably the best Honda engine, the B18b is found in integras from 1990-2001. The reason I say this is because it's relatively responsive to a lot of different modifications, including turbo applications (low compression) etc. It's highly subject to debate though :)

bigfan
04-16-2004, 02:21 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

rage2
04-16-2004, 03:38 AM
I'm assuming you're looking at stock motors. I'm a turbo guy, so I'm a big fan of the low compression motors... b18b and b20b's. I've seen some really impressive stuff done to these 2 motors on pump gas. Day to day drivability and reliabiltiy, and enough torque to spin the widest and grippiest of tires in the first 3 gears.

As for car choice, the EG civics (1992-1995 I believe) has HUGE aftermarket support. That and b series swaps are damn easy, done with factory parts :).

DUBBED
04-16-2004, 10:53 AM
mmmmm... I kinda want to build an EG now. :banghead:

Ducati
04-16-2004, 11:44 PM
As far as suspension goes, what upgrades are available for the EG? Can a 4 wheel disc setup be retrofit? I don't think those cars are four wheel independant suspension, are they? What can be done to make them handle responsively and stay flat in hard turns?

I agree that sounds like an excellent project, as that style Civic is the best looking, imho; and the b18b/20b engine fitting in with no major drama is a big plus, given that I am an amateur mechanic.

Do I assume that the difference between them is 200cc?

What happened since 2001? Are the newer engines more complex or difficult to modify?

xrayvsn
04-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Can't you do a 5-bolt conversion into the EG from the Integra type-R, along with 4wheel discs and suspension?

Also, since 2001, Honda stopped selling the Integras with the B18 engines. They started calling them Acura RSX, and put in a K20A engine. From what I have read, these are much more challenging to swap into a pre 2001 Civic chassis, and the wiring becomes more of a hassle. I'm sure others on here know much more about this than I do, but I have been quietly lurking on this and the other Honda forums, slowly gleaning knowledge from the knowledgable as I am interested in doing a B-series swap into my car as well...

rage2
04-17-2004, 08:19 AM
As far as suspension goes, what upgrades are available for the EG? Can a 4 wheel disc setup be retrofit?
Yes. The rear brakes can be taken from Integras, Civic Si's, etc. Larger fronts can come from the 3G Integras, and even LARGER fronts can be had by using redrilled prelude rotors with Accord wagon calipers. TONS of options to choose from (all factory parts too).

What can be done to make them handle responsively and stay flat in hard turns?
Stiff suspension :). Really stiff suspension hehe. There are some Civic's I've seen that are amazing in the corners. Fairly simple suspension mods. Take this one here:

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18028

I have telemetry on this car, along with a Z06 on Michellin Pilot Cup R compound tires on the same afternoon... It outcorners the Z06 so badly that even though the Z06 has double the power (and a whopping 60km/h / 6 second advantage by the end of the front straight), the car's only 3 seconds a lap slower than the Z06 hehe.

If you look at the details on the suspension mods on the car, you'll see that it's fairly simple.

Ridelikeme
04-17-2004, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by xrayvsn
Can't you do a 5-bolt conversion into the EG from the Integra type-R, along with 4wheel discs and suspension?

Also, since 2001, Honda stopped selling the Integras with the B18 engines. They started calling them Acura RSX, and put in a K20A engine.

no honda never stopped selling the integra... in japan the RSX is known as the Honda Integra, only on north american markets is the integra known as the Acura RSX, as Acura only exists in north america.... but yes u are right the K20A and K20C are very hard engines to mount in pre-2001 civics... but everyhting can be done right

xrayvsn
04-17-2004, 04:04 PM
Oops, I did mean Acura RSX in USDM, but Honda Integra everywhere else in the world.

They still use the B20 in their CRV right?

rage2
04-17-2004, 04:40 PM
They still use the B20 in their CRV right?
Nope, it's the K24.

Ducati
04-17-2004, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Yes. The rear brakes can be taken from Integras, Civic Si's, etc. Larger fronts can come from the 3G Integras, and even LARGER fronts can be had by using redrilled prelude rotors with Accord wagon calipers. TONS of options to choose from (all factory parts too).

I am assuming that a larger master cylinder is needed for this brake mod. What is the best choice?

rage2
04-17-2004, 11:33 PM
It's not necessary, but recommended. The Integra ones are fine.

africano
04-18-2004, 01:26 PM
i can't believe no-one said anything about the B16, sure it's a bit smaller but it's one of the fastest ones out there cause it rev's so high.

sweet engines from honda are: B18C, B16, K20, H22, B18(a and b ls vtec)

also for brakes a lot of companies have jumped on the import bandwagon, i think baer brakes has a complete big brake kit now for a civic, can't remeber the year but the company is huge in the domestic world , love those extreme 13's:drool:

rage2
04-18-2004, 01:51 PM
I've tuned a bunch of B16s, with and without turbo. They struggle for power on pump gas :(. There's no replacement for displacement!

BTW - revs are good, but if you don't have the TQ to back it up, you're still not gonna make big HP. Slap a b16 head on a b20b... and we have a winner. Big displacement, big turbo, big torque, big revs, big power. I believe speedtech built a few crvtec turbos that were pushing out pretty crazy numbers.

xrayvsn
04-18-2004, 02:24 PM
Are the EG Civics good to start with because of their weight, or is it because they are OBD1, and those are easier to work with? Does it then become problematic when swapping an OBD2 motor into OBD1 EG, like lets say a B18C, or is it as simple as getting the right OBD2-OBD1 harness adapter?

Also, when swapping the brake system from another vehicle, how will it affect your factory ABS system, if your car is equipped with it?

rage2
04-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Are the EG Civics good to start with because of their weight, or is it because they are OBD1
Both.

Does it then become problematic when swapping an OBD2 motor into OBD1 EG, like lets say a B18C, or is it as simple as getting the right OBD2-OBD1 harness adapter?
It's a matter of modifying the distributor and alternator clips on the engine harness to OBD2 (the rest are the same) so the plug into the OBD2 pieces. It takes a pair of cutters and 10 mins of soldering.

Also, when swapping the brake system from another vehicle, how will it affect your factory ABS system, if your car is equipped with it?
If your EG already has ABS, it's already got 4 wheel disc brakes. You can move up to 11" brakes though by changing just the rotors and calipers.