PDA

View Full Version : subie newbie needs help

thrustvector
04-15-2004, 10:38 PM
Hey guys, Im 18 years old and getting ready to buy my first REAL car. Im not a complete idiot when it comes to them, and I find myself growing addicted to cars(and the speed channel). I really like subarus, and i was thinking about a 2.5 RS, ive seen some pretty good deals in the 5-8 thousand range for 98's and the like. Id really like some advice on them,maybe some personal experiences, or just any thoughts you might have. I have some experience with manual trans. and plan to really learn the car before I do anything adventurous. I wanna do it right, maybe you guys could help?:thumbsup:

xDiMSuMx
04-15-2004, 11:13 PM
they only cost 5-8 thousand? :eek:

thrustvector
04-15-2004, 11:24 PM
well, ive seen some with about 50k miles on em, ranging from 5 to 9 thousand dollars (us)

Ducati
04-15-2004, 11:30 PM
With the older 2.2 litre motor probably.

This time last year I worked at a Subaru dealership.
The only Subaru's we ever sold under 10K were old early 90's Legacys and old GL's. Even a 1998 Impreza Brighton with an automatic & 2.2; a real grandmamobile, went for $14K.
Those nice 2.5 RS coupes were still being sold in the mid to high teens. I personally sold two of them.

That.Guy.S30
04-15-2004, 11:32 PM
dont get a 98 rs. they have the phase 1 motors. know for leaks and blowing head gaskets. hopefully go for a 2000 with a phase 2 motor. go on nasioc.com if you need to know more info or 25rs.com

thrustvector
04-15-2004, 11:32 PM
so if a prinate seller was selling it atthat price theres most like something wrong with it?

Ducati
04-15-2004, 11:38 PM
Get anything that looks like it is too good to be true checked out by someone known to be reliable.
Check the compression of the engine and get it up on a hoist to
poke around underneath. If possible, get a vacuum leakdown test, too.
Stick around the shop and watch them work on your prospective car purchase.

thrustvector
04-15-2004, 11:44 PM
yea, its been on my mind, i plan to buy a car this summer, but ive had friend who have bought from private seller's "good deals" but end up having problems. can anyone offer some steps on how to properly inspect a car to make sure that you dont ruin it for something stupid that couldve been fixed?any major areas that rs's are known to have problems in?

GTS Jeff
04-16-2004, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by Ducati
With the older 2.2 litre motor probably.

This time last year I worked at a Subaru dealership.
The only Subaru's we ever sold under 10K were old early 90's Legacys and old GL's. Even a 1998 Impreza Brighton with an automatic & 2.2; a real grandmamobile, went for $14K.
Those nice 2.5 RS coupes were still being sold in the mid to high teens. I personally sold two of them. theres such thing as a 2.5rs with a 2.2l engine??? haha the reason his prices are so cheap is cuz hes a yankee

Chim
04-16-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
dont get a 98 rs. they have the phase 1 motors. know for leaks and blowing head gaskets. hopefully go for a 2000 with a phase 2 motor. go on nasioc.com if you need to know more info or 25rs.com

Phase 2 motors start in 1999
2 ft/lbs more torque too

The headgaskets are a bitch tho, if they blow its over $1500 to get fixed (or ~$200 if you can do it yourself, involves pulling out the entire motor)

JAYMEZ
04-16-2004, 02:09 PM
when most things blow its usually $1500 to fix , i dont see why they would blow though??

hatetank
04-16-2004, 02:17 PM
5-8K CAD?

rc2002
04-16-2004, 04:36 PM
well, ive seen some with about 50k miles on em, ranging from 5 to 9 thousand dollars (us)

4wheeldrift
04-16-2004, 04:39 PM
You shouldn't be seeing 98s for less than 8k USD unless there is something seriously wrong with it, subarus hold their value extremely well. In terms of getting the car checked out, just take it to a competent garage and get the most comprehensive inspection you can find done on the car. RS's aren't known for any really serious problems aside from head gasket issues that are known to affect some subarus from that period. Bearings are a known weakness but don't cost much to get replaced and repacked. Clutch chatter is annoying more than anything.

pinoyhero
04-16-2004, 04:48 PM
For that kinda money I would probably go with the almight civic, a lude or teg

hatetank
04-16-2004, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
For that kinda money I would probably go with the almight civic, a lude or teg

pfft.

4wheeldrift
04-16-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
For that kinda money I would probably go with the almight civic, a lude or teg Only downside is that the insurance on them is quite a bit more expensive than the subie, if thats a consideration.

Drew
04-16-2004, 04:53 PM
i own a 2.5 rs impreza and have a fuckin ball with it. But that quote you have is cheap dude, like definitly something wrong with it. Mines a 2000-2001 and its held up incredibly well from how it gets driven (mind you i do every servicing and replace anything worn so its in mechanically perfect shape) your lookin at like 20 grand canadian give or take a couple thousand depending on km, wear and tear, and mods and all that jazz for that year but i agree with chim that you should at least get a 99 with the phase 2 motor. happy huntin took me a year to find the one i bought so my last advice...don't rush it.

hatetank
04-16-2004, 05:00 PM
Originally posted by 4wheeldrift
Only downside is that the insurance on them is quite a bit more expensive than the subie, if thats a consideration.

meh, I drive a WRX and I pay ~$1300-$1400 /yr.

4wheeldrift
04-16-2004, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by hatetank

meh, I drive a WRX and I pay ~$1300-$1400 /yr. And your point is what, exactly? I said the insurance on the subie is less than the hondas listed.

hatetank
04-16-2004, 05:10 PM
And your point is what, exactly? I said the insurance on the subie is less than the hondas listed.

ahh my bad, I thought you said the opposite.

hatetank
04-16-2004, 05:12 PM
:poosie:

CLICK ME (http://webhome.idirect.com/~paynter/)

That.Guy.S30
04-16-2004, 07:31 PM
Originally posted by Drew
i own a 2.5 rs impreza and have a fuckin ball with it. But that quote you have is cheap dude, like definitly something wrong with it. Mines a 2000-2001 and its held up incredibly well from how it gets driven (mind you i do every servicing and replace anything worn so its in mechanically perfect shape) your lookin at like 20 grand canadian give or take a couple thousand depending on km, wear and tear, and mods and all that jazz for that year but i agree with chim that you should at least get a 99 with the phase 2 motor. happy huntin took me a year to find the one i bought so my last advice...don't rush it.

20 grand? i think your rs is wayyyyyyyyyyy less than that. maybe 15 g's or somethin. 20 large can almost get you a brand new ts sedan or wagon

JAYMEZ
04-16-2004, 07:35 PM
ts sedans are cheap hehe , ya im thinkin around 17gs :D

4wheeldrift
04-16-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
ts sedans are cheap hehe , ya im thinkin around 17gs :D A new TS sedan goes for $23k canadian base. Subies hold their value very well, its not unusual to see them depreciate less than $2k a year.

That.Guy.S30
04-16-2004, 07:45 PM
A new TS sedan goes for $23k canadian base. Subies hold their value very well, its not unusual to see them depreciate less than $2k a year.

hey how much do you think i can get for a 2003 silver special edition automatic ts wagon? im thinking of trading it in but afraid becuase i might take a huge hit.

Canadian 2.5RS
04-16-2004, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by hatetank
:poosie:

CLICK ME (http://webhome.idirect.com/~paynter/)

Where is that car located? i want a part off of it. he he he im such a vulture.

GC84ever
04-17-2004, 12:47 AM
A new TS sedan goes for $23k canadian base. Subies hold their value very well, its not unusual to see them depreciate less than $2k a year.
When I was searching for my 01RS, they ranged between 19,500-23,000 Cdn dollars. that's with milage less than 75,000km.

If you go for an GC8-style 2.5RS. Remember the 2001 (and maybe the 2000) came with a rear LSD also.
You'll love the RS it's a fun car.

That.Guy.S30
04-17-2004, 01:00 AM
Originally posted by GC84ever

When I was searching for my 01RS, they ranged between 19,500-23,000 Cdn dollars. that's with milage less than 75,000km.

If you go for an GC8-style 2.5RS. Remember the 2001 (and maybe the 2000) came with a rear LSD also.
You'll love the RS it's a fun car.

i dunno when you were loojking for your car but thats really expesnvie. i rather get a ts sedan/wagon for that price than a used rs.

dugrant153
05-10-2004, 01:21 AM
so the only good used Subie is an expensive one?

Drew
05-10-2004, 09:45 AM

20 grand? i think your rs is wayyyyyyyyyyy less than that. maybe 15 g's or somethin. 20 large can almost get you a brand new ts sedan or wagon

ya but i bought it only a year old so i'm quite content with what i paid and since i looked for a year and a bit i'm pretty sure i did alright and ts wagons really lick balls. i mean reallly reallly lick balls

That.Guy.S30
05-10-2004, 11:37 AM

ya but i bought it only a year old so i'm quite content with what i paid and since i looked for a year and a bit i'm pretty sure i did alright and ts wagons really lick balls. i mean reallly reallly lick balls

gee thanks becuase i own one. lol

JAYMEZ
05-10-2004, 01:02 PM
Kick his arse :whipped: ^^^^

vincent-h
05-10-2004, 01:17 PM
I bought my 2004 impreza ts sedan at 1.8% financed quite happy with my buy.

i've came to the terms that if ur young (like me) forking out an extra 5 g's over 5 years ain't is a better investment than a used suby. your gonna be here for around that long anyways. besides the new subies look so nice with the new lights.

and you also know it's YOURs and wasn't someone elses. The break in on a suby is extra important. the transmissions on the suby stock are weak and can easily be glazed over if broken in poorly. and not seal properly. It's also extremely tempting to push the car too hard with all the power on hand.

go new and do it the right way and pay the extra for it cuz a used one hold sit's value so strongly it's just better to get new if ur young since hte invest ment will still last you the time u live here. You can also sell it after a year or two since it'll still be valued highly.

hope it helps bro.

That.Guy.S30
05-10-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ_STi
Kick his arse :whipped: ^^^^

lol not needed. its a work car and i pay dirt cheap insurance for it so i could care less.
hes probably protecting his pride from being hurt because he bought a car with mods(which dont or should not increase the price) for a really high price because i know i would.

dugrant153
05-11-2004, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by vincent-h
I bought my 2004 impreza ts sedan at 1.8% financed quite happy with my buy.

i've came to the terms that if ur young (like me) forking out an extra 5 g's over 5 years ain't is a better investment than a used suby. your gonna be here for around that long anyways. besides the new subies look so nice with the new lights.

and you also know it's YOURs and wasn't someone elses. The break in on a suby is extra important. the transmissions on the suby stock are weak and can easily be glazed over if broken in poorly. and not seal properly. It's also extremely tempting to push the car too hard with all the power on hand.

go new and do it the right way and pay the extra for it cuz a used one hold sit's value so strongly it's just better to get new if ur young since hte invest ment will still last you the time u live here. You can also sell it after a year or two since it'll still be valued highly.

hope it helps bro.

That actually helps -me- quite a bit :)
I was seriously considering a used Impreza, but most of the cheaper used ones have huge mileage on them. All the others are priced at something like 18-19k for a 3-5 year old car!! Wow...

You DO save a lot through used, though. New cars require the extra 7.5% PST (for us BC people) as well as another 1000 dollars or so of PDI. However, your point of breaking it in properly is a very good point. I mean, if it ain't broken in properly, the car's gonna be stink for it's whole life, right? (except for Toyotas... hehehe)

Drew
05-11-2004, 12:49 PM

lol not needed. its a work car and i pay dirt cheap insurance for it so i could care less.
hes probably protecting his pride from being hurt because he bought a car with mods(which dont or should not increase the price) for a really high price because i know i would.

I searched all across canada for what seemed like forever and like i said i'm fine with what i paid for mine, but you are one up on me cause my insurence is through the damn roof, but the things we pay to hug apex's...and i apologize for my earlier comment about ts's licking balls cause fact is i shoulda been supportive of your subaru regardless since were on the same side and compared to an STI my car licks ass aswell. HOWEVER compared to somethings....(cough)green piece with a blue hood (cough).........we both rule the damn world.

That.Guy.S30
05-11-2004, 03:56 PM
lol i was just playing man. everyone knows i like to joke around on this site. subies are awsome cars and i always wanted a rs/wrx sedan but couldnt afford the insurance.. lol

dugrant153
05-12-2004, 12:06 AM
lol i was just playing man. everyone knows i like to joke around on this site. subies are awsome cars and i always wanted a rs/wrx sedan but couldnt afford the insurance.. lol

sooooo... what car do you have? :D

That.Guy.S30
05-12-2004, 12:51 AM
the ts wagon that he says licks ass.. haha im pretty sure everyone guessed that already. but the pro for that is dirt cheap insurance. lol

dugrant153
05-20-2004, 12:12 AM
they came out with a TS sedan :D
at 23k, I'm seriously considering this car :)... when I get a full time job, of course.

Yeah, most used Imprezas are really really expensive (GC8s mainly). WRX's, though, seem to depreciate quite a bit.

Drew
05-20-2004, 12:23 PM
I think its cause on average a WRX will have the shit bagged out of it by anyone who owns it more so then the average impreza driver.

dugrant153
05-20-2004, 12:44 PM
I think its cause on average a WRX will have the shit bagged out of it by anyone who owns it more so then the average impreza driver.

and thus, for someone like myself who might look at a used one, will probably be able to find one cheap but totally beat up, eh?

Drew
05-20-2004, 12:49 PM
that would be my thoughts, but you never know you could find one that some lady had or something like that but i wouldn't really believe anyone who looks remotly like an ethusiast that says the car was never bagged

dugrant153
05-20-2004, 01:16 PM
that would be my thoughts, but you never know you could find one that some lady had or something like that but i wouldn't really believe anyone who looks remotly like an ethusiast that says the car was never bagged

would a mechanic's check be able to uncover if it was "enthusiastically" driven?
or would you just have to ask the driver to drive it him/herself in order to test?

vincent-h
05-20-2004, 02:53 PM
i might sell my brand new impreza u wanan buy?
haha

i'm looking to get a wrx instead now.

i've broken it in awesome, and haven't drov eit hard hasn't hit over 6000 kms yet.

Fuji
05-20-2004, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Chim

Phase 2 motors start in 1999
2 ft/lbs more torque too

The headgaskets are a bitch tho, if they blow its over $1500 to get fixed (or ~$200 if you can do it yourself, involves pulling out the entire motor)

Its not 1500 to get head gaskets fixed... the gasket costs 100 bux CDN or 29USD. and labour is 80bux CDN for about 6 hours of labour. Its probably half of that - about 800bux

Drew
05-21-2004, 12:29 PM
mechanics can check to for wear and tear but as far as the system working as a whole its really hard for them to say cause of the number of internals that an engine has, plus theres so much more like your suspension and all that jazz. Think about it, if your car gets into an accident and gets fixed and the job was done okay then hows a mechanic gonna know that it was in an accident? He won't but that doesn't mean the cars frame isn't any weaker...so ya i'm just rambling on now.......

dugrant153
05-21-2004, 08:34 PM
i might sell my brand new impreza u wanan buy?
haha

i'm looking to get a wrx instead now.

i've broken it in awesome, and haven't drov eit hard hasn't hit over 6000 kms yet.

How come you wanna trade up to the WRX? Do you find the normal Impreza boring? (And nah, can't really afford a car right now. Just looking at my options is all).

mechanics can check to for wear and tear but as far as the system working as a whole its really hard for them to say cause of the number of internals that an engine has, plus theres so much more like your suspension and all that jazz. Think about it, if your car gets into an accident and gets fixed and the job was done okay then hows a mechanic gonna know that it was in an accident? He won't but that doesn't mean the cars frame isn't any weaker...so ya i'm just rambling on now.......

Yeah, I suppose that's true that they can't check everything. But I know that cars don't drive as nice as they used to when they're in an accident. You can kinda feel it.

That.Guy.S30
05-21-2004, 10:51 PM
^^ he's trading it becuase there is less aftermarket support for the impreza ts than there is for the rex. plus if hes goin to turbo it he might as well just buy a rex becuase it comes with a lsd.

dugrant153
05-21-2004, 11:53 PM
makes sense, I suppose. I guess if you're gonna go heavy modding, the TS or 2.5RS is not the way to go.
But aren't there a lot of 2.5RS parts (which would probably fit a TS if that's what vincent-h has)?
Or, atleast, suspension parts and what not?

That.Guy.S30
05-22-2004, 12:13 AM
^ there is tons of support for the ts/rs as they are almost the exact same. i think its just the fact taht if your goin to modd up your car with 8-9k you migth as well trade it in for a rex as it will be faster/nicer than a modded up rs/ts.

dugrant153
05-22-2004, 12:25 AM
^ there is tons of support for the ts/rs as they are almost the exact same. i think its just the fact taht if your goin to modd up your car with 8-9k you migth as well trade it in for a rex as it will be faster/nicer than a modded up rs/ts.

ah okay, that makes much more sense then :)

yeah, that's true... especially if you're modding 8-9k...

vincent-h
05-22-2004, 01:48 AM

a modded ts/rs = a wrx haha

dugrant153
05-24-2004, 11:39 PM
WRX would probably be a lot smoother, though, since it's factory built (usually more well built than customized cars... well, in general anyways).

JAYMEZ
05-25-2004, 10:45 AM
So what you gonna get then? WRX?

dugrant153
05-25-2004, 11:07 AM
I haven't really made a decision. All I know is, as much as I like the WRX, a new one at 34k would mean no eating for years :p hehehehe

Once you add the insurance, the premium gas required, and the mileage (although the mileage of the EJ20T (WRX) and EJ25 are pretty close, according to Subaru's brochure), it does add up. On top of maintenance too (probably save cost as a normal Impreza though).

So we'll see. If I really love the car, I wouldn't mind paying for the extra stuff required. Actually, I DO love the car, but I wanna eat too :D

But yeah, it's kinda far right now to really say whether it's feasible. I did test drive a Forester with an EJ25 and automatic, and it's GOOD, but not GREAT. Didn't blow me outta my seat like the Mazda 3.

But others I've talked to have said the 2.5RS is a good car (probably because its not as heavy, stiffer suspension than the wagon, etc.). Probably make a better daily driver than the WRX?

JAYMEZ
05-25-2004, 02:29 PM
Ya 2.5RS are good cars , that would be a good pick as well :thumbsup:

Fuji
05-25-2004, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by dugrant153

ah okay, that makes much more sense then :)

yeah, that's true... especially if you're modding 8-9k...

modded rs will own most WRXs with bolt ons

2000impreza
05-25-2004, 10:17 PM
few things that come to mind with comparing a modified first gen 2.5RS impreza to newer wrx/sti:
- no warranty, wrx/sti has factor warranty
- reliability issues
- age, anywhere from 3-6 years old. a lot of these cars are starting to show signs of rust
- limited aftermarket support. a lot of parts have to be custom fabricated and can be more costly
- value, these cars are very expensive for what you get

sure a highly modified first gen RS will beat most wrx's on the road and even show some sti's.. but who is the one getting owned when their car is broken down on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck, drive around with mutiple sets of tools to fix anything in the trunk, having your car parked at the shop few months of the year, not to mention constantly dumping money on broken parts. who gets owned in the end? ask Fuji he will tell you. haha

it takes a die hard subaru enthusiast to put up with it.

CRXguy
05-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by 2000impreza
who gets owned in the end? ask Fuji he will tell you. haha

:drama: :rofl: :rofl:

Fuji
05-26-2004, 11:09 AM
few things that come to mind with comparing a modified first gen 2.5RS impreza to newer wrx/sti:
- no warranty, wrx/sti has factor warranty
- reliability issues
- age, anywhere from 3-6 years old. a lot of these cars are starting to show signs of rust
- limited aftermarket support. a lot of parts have to be custom fabricated and can be more costly
- value, these cars are very expensive for what you get

sure a highly modified first gen RS will beat most wrx's on the road and even show some sti's.. but who is the one getting owned when their car is broken down on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck, drive around with mutiple sets of tools to fix anything in the trunk, having your car parked at the shop few months of the year, not to mention constantly dumping money on broken parts. who gets owned in the end? ask Fuji he will tell you. haha

it takes a die hard subaru enthusiast to put up with it.

who said highly modified? i was talking bolt ons ;) .. anyways, its expected and I had tons of issues in stock form so the money and time is only marginal in comparison

That.Guy.S30
05-26-2004, 06:15 PM
who gets owned in the end? ask Fuji he will tell you. haha

lol its them fightin words!! cant we all just get along

vincent-h
05-27-2004, 03:21 PM
a modified RS needs a new transmission and performance parts making it go faster will bust their transmission. the Rs transmission is the weakest of the subaru chain if the engine pulls to hard ur done.
also the more power a rs has the mroe fuel it will eat. where as the wrx already is he same milage as a rs so when u modify the rs it'll drop below the wrx. both have good milage tillu start racing them =\

i can get 11km a litre on my rs but if i drive hard it's like 5-8 haha

2000impreza
05-27-2004, 03:38 PM
a modified RS needs a new transmission and performance parts making it go faster will bust their transmission. the Rs transmission is the weakest of the subaru chain if the engine pulls to hard ur done.
also the more power a rs has the mroe fuel it will eat. where as the wrx already is he same milage as a rs so when u modify the rs it'll drop below the wrx. both have good milage tillu start racing them =\

i can get 11km a litre on my rs but if i drive hard it's like 5-8 haha

how do you figure you will need a new transmission? the RS 5-speed tranny is just as strong as the WRX 5-speed. the difference is in gear ratios and rear lsd. some of the older RS's came with lsd as well. the subaru 5-speed tranny is the weaklink but it also depends on your driving style. the only transmission that is clearly stronger is the 5-speed sti RA and sti 6-speed.

i'm not sure if i understand what you are saying with the gas mileage... if you make more power its a given the motor will require more fuel. this applies to the wrx and sti as well. it also depends on your driving style.

HOK
05-31-2004, 08:31 AM
for you and the average moe just go buy a WRX... if you can't afford one then you can't afford the hp.. 165 is plenty for a young guy...