PDA

View Full Version : Insurance Question

SNIPE22
04-16-2004, 02:14 AM
Hello I know I am new here but I have a question that has been bothering me and I was lucky enough to find you guys lol

ok my question is this, I am a student right now at SAIT and I am 22 years old and I never really took out an insurance plan for any vehicle since I don't drive much or sometimes not at all, that is why my father didn't even add me to his policy, well since I need a vehicle for at least once every 2 week's since there is no bus at the time I have my first class, I need to drive to school and my father offer to add me to his policy by the way SAIT is about 10 minutes away from where I live, any way he was going to add me as an occasional driver or so he though;

well now today he receives in the mail a letter from Allstate that is his insurance provider that the policy will go up almost 200 dollars per month just for adding me to it and another thing that it stated was the I was a principal driver of one of his vehicles since he has 2 vehicles insurer right now ,and my mother doesn't have a class 5 lincence so I phoned the insurance agent and ask him why I was a principal driver in the policy, since I don't even drive at all and I will be driving for 2 days a month and he said that by law he had to add me as a principal driver because there are 2 vehicles and 2 people that live in the same household that have a class 5 driver's lincence by default they both have to be added as principal users and I explain to him that I will only be driving 2 times a month and that it was a waste to add me as a principal driver and that if that was the case to remove me from my father's policy and he said he couldn't do that because it is agaisn't the law the only way he could remove me from this policy as a principal driver, would be to either move out, or my mother will have to get a class 5 lincence if she does, I could be added as an occasional driver or to remove one of the vehicle and just have one insurer that way he could add me as an occasional driver, and I ask him why he didn't said any of this when my father ask him to add me as an occasional driver and he didn't say nothing, so to me this sounds really stupid why pay $1160 per year if I am only going to be driving twice a month so I am wondering if this is the truth or is this guy playing my father so if anyone has any info please reply or pm me thanks in advance:confused:

rage2
04-16-2004, 03:19 AM
Unfortunately, that's how the system works. You can't have a single driver as a primary on 2 vehicles, and a high risk driver as a part time. Only time you can be an occassional driver is when there's less cars than drivers.

It's not gonna help if your mom gets her license either. New drivers will take 3 years to build up an insurance history before getting cheap rates. That is, until we get government controller insurance.

SNIPE22
04-16-2004, 03:27 AM
i forgot to add that I will only be driving the second car or the first car for 4 months only since that is how long the course,

so what you are saying is that I can't be remove now from the my father's policy even if I don't drive any of the car's at all?

rage2
04-16-2004, 03:35 AM
You can remove yourself from the policy after four months, but you have to sign a release saying that you will never touch your father's cars. At that point, he can insure both cars under his name and get his rates, even though you live at his house.

Most insurance companies do this, just have to ask.

TrevorK
04-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Perfect advice - that's the way it is (And it makes perfect sense - people abuse the insurance policies enough as it is with the occassional driver thing).

Just cancel after 4 months, you'll be fine. Or take a taxi (That'd be cheaper if it's once every two weeks).

Gonthro
04-16-2004, 08:54 AM
just have your father phone the insurance company and tell them you moved out, and if thye ask for na address give them the address of a relative of yours....

SNIPE22
04-16-2004, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the advice Rage2 and I about the taxi comment lol well I guess that will had been by first choice but you know how family is I didn't want to be added to my father policy since I know the insurance company only cares about the age I ask the insurance agent that I wanted to be remove from my father's policy since in reality I don't even drive at all no time to wonder around the city but what made me un-easy was that he said it was agaisn't the law and that he couldn't remove me :( and that is just not right, 1 more question lol my father has been thinking of changing insurance company if he moved to another company will he have the option of not adding me to this new policy? since I don't want to be added to his policy because I will be taking my own policy probably in september of this year ?

rage2
04-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Every other company will have the same rules in effect. Policy for every driver if there are more or same # of drivers as cars, unless you sign a release saying you won't drive the car. That's the only way around the issue.

As for Gonthro's advice, that works too, but you HAVE to change your driver's license address to the other address, otherwise, in a claim investigation, you might run into some problems.