PDA

View Full Version : Honda's Odyssey to get cylinder shut-off technology

go77306
04-16-2004, 10:47 AM
TOKYO - Honda Motor Co.'s new Odyssey will be powered by a 3.5-liter V-6 that runs on all six cylinders when accelerating and three cylinders when cruising.

Honda's Odyssey to get cylinder shut-off technology (http://www.cforum.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=111)

What a smart design!

Gonthro
04-16-2004, 10:49 AM
good idea, but they should have come out with it a few years ago, it will be useless when gm (and other companies) release its hydrogen car (and hybred cars) (they say it'll be on the streets by 2013 i think)

QuasarCav
04-16-2004, 10:52 AM
key words GM and hydrogen.

I think 2013 is a little far off for mass-comsumption.

Think oil companies, gas stations.

lets not turn this into a hydrogen feasability thread!

good for honda, i think that is a more practical solution

Gonthro
04-16-2004, 10:54 AM
http://gmcanada.com/english/gminnovation/gm_hywire.html

i want :D

Correction, they want it released by the end of the decade

go77306
04-16-2004, 10:55 AM
hybird and bydrogen cars are expensive. I think what they are trying to do is to produce affordable fuel economy cars.

turboMiata
04-16-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Gonthro
good idea, but they should have come out with it a few years ago, it will be useless when gm (and other companies) release its hydrogen car (and hybred cars) (they say it'll be on the streets by 2013 i think)

Hydrogen cars. Sorry, but I remember the Hindenburg. I'll continue to pay my $60 a week on gas, thank you.

go77306
04-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by turboMiata

Hydrogen cars. Sorry, but I remember the Hindenburg. I'll continue to pay my $60 a week on gas, thank you.

$60 gas a week? you need to buy a hybrid car!

QuasarCav
04-16-2004, 11:05 AM

ditto, i am already sitting on 50L of gas. pressurized hydrogen might be a little more scary.

Just think hindenburg and deerfoot. BOOOM

Davan
04-16-2004, 11:15 AM
Do you guys honestly think a car manufacturer would release a car as dangerous and you believe it to be? I think they are smarter than that. Nobody likes a lawsuit. Give them more credit.

QuasarCav
04-16-2004, 11:17 AM
i'm more worried about the infrastructure!

hydrogen stations everywhere will take forever to build.

sputnik
04-16-2004, 11:21 AM
fuel cell technology is more promising than hydrogen gas

Orbie
04-16-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Gonthro

um...Honda came up with this a while ago on the JDM Inspire. It's just recently that they're applying it to USDM cars. It's actually called VCM or Variable Cylinder Management, and it's also being applied to the hybrid Accord with IMA. I think I posted this information in another thread about the 05/06 Accord. That Accord will have Civic fuel mileage and with IMA should be faster to 60 then the current Accord. Keep in mind it's meant to give extra power in short periods so it's not like a static turbo or supercharger.

And if GM releases it's hybrid cars in 2013 that gives 8 years for Honda to reap the benefits of VCM on it's models before it releases Hybrid versions of it's cars, which will still probably debut before GM's lol. The Accord hybrid will be released next fall.

Strider
04-16-2004, 12:19 PM
That's quite impressive...
active noise cancellation too, they really thought it through:thumbsup:

Altezza
04-16-2004, 01:22 PM

Gasoline is flamable and explosive too! Better pay for a new pair of shoes!

Weapon_R
04-16-2004, 02:04 PM

I think we've made big strides from 1937 - present day in fuel technology. Besides, the Hindenburg didn't burst because of the hydrogen, it burst because of the outer skin which was not spark resistant. As far as I know, gas tanks are not made out of fabric.

WGR4Pussies
04-16-2004, 04:23 PM
that sort of technolody has been around since the 80s in cadalacs