PDA

View Full Version : Royal Purple engine & tranny fluids!!!!!

Voodoo Child
10-09-2002, 11:14 AM
Hey homies,

So I don't know if anybody else was watching Horsepower TV this past Saturday, but something pretty interesting caught my eye.

They were talking about how friction caused by all the working components of the engine is a direct result in loss of horsepower. Now of course this all makes sense.
So to reduce this friction, we all know that oils and other fluids help us along the way.

Well the hosts took a new Camero, hooked it up to the dyno, and put down 302hp. Pretty good you're thinking right?
They then proceeded to drain all the fluids in the car and replace them with the "Royal Purple" brand of engine, tranny, and other needed fluids.
After another dyno run, the car put down 311hp. A 9hp gain from 1 hour of labor and a complete fluid replacement.
I couldn't believe it.

Do you think similar results would apply to most vehicles? Physics is physics, and if I'm reducing friction as well, then in theory I should be making more hp!

Redlyne_mr2
10-09-2002, 11:18 AM
apparently alot of drag cars use royal purple, its supposed to be wicked stuff....keep in mind the gains on your car would not be as good because you have much less displacement...doesnt help to give it a shot though...my only concern would be the long term performance of royal purple and if it has a tendancy to break down

Arthur Dent
10-09-2002, 11:21 AM
3% boast in hp from switching brands? I don't think so. More likely is the Camaro needed a oil change. Changing the filter probably made the most difference. I heard similar things about K&N filters. Take your clogged, dirty stock air filter and replace with a new K&N and the difference seems bigger than it really is.

Voodoo Child
10-09-2002, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Arthur Dent
3% boast in hp from switching brands? I don't think so. More likely is the Camaro needed a oil change. Changing the filter probably made the most difference. I heard similar things about K&N filters. Take your clogged, dirty stock air filter and replace with a new K&N and the difference seems bigger than it really is.

I'm going to have to dissagree with you on this one.
The two guys who host the show are both NHRA drivers, so I assume they know alot more about vehicles than you or I. The intention of the program is to show home enthusiasts like ourselves, cheap and reliable ways to improve our vehicles. At no point would they be out to misconstrue information about products, espcecially when the company shown could easily sue them for false representation.
I'm not saying every car will have the same results, but it obviously must work.

2000impreza
10-09-2002, 02:15 PM
royal purple paid them to advertise the oil.... lol. who knows what condition of the oil and filter was....

even running on the dyno back to back sometimes the results varies.

Hollywood
10-09-2002, 03:08 PM
I use royal purple in my car. I will tell you this though, since my car is half the diplacement, if my car gained 1-5HP from the oil I would never notice. The one major think I can tell you is.........the oil is purple in color! As a result it is harder to tell where you oil level is on your dipstick.

nookmumracing
10-09-2002, 03:16 PM
How much more is this stuff? Then regular Synthetic oil?

2000impreza
10-09-2002, 04:30 PM
you can get royal purple for mopac. never bothered to look at the price. i use mobil 1 or redline... lol.

speedracer
10-09-2002, 05:22 PM
:rofl: :rofl:
I fail to see what's so interesting when changing dirty oil to new oil and gaining back what was lost being so spectectular:nut: :rolleyes: :confused:

shadowz
10-09-2002, 05:32 PM
Ive used it for a while good stuff and its actually purple! It costs about the same as mobil1