PDA

View Full Version : Calling for s2000 opinions

pinoyhero
04-16-2004, 04:45 PM
Hey all I'm looking to get a new ride and I'm leaning towards the S2, couple concerns though:

1. How bad are they to drive in the winter? If I put winter rubber on will it be OK?
2. Without the hardtop (which I don't plan on buying for 5K!!) if I"m driving it in the winter is it cold or just like a regular car? (Is the "convertibles are cold in the winter" theory a myth?
3. Where can I find one? I'm looking to spend about 33K and hope to get into a 2001
4. Should I go with a TT instead?
5. For that kind of money what other cars should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance!

C4S
04-17-2004, 10:49 AM
I think this is the best one .with tons of mod ... althought ..more then $33K .. :)

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30615

for driving, handling, etc .. S2000 is way way way better then TT, however, TT is a German, and S2000 is just a japanese.

TT offer sexiest look (on coupe) and probaby the best interior in the market, but it is an Audi, a beef-up beatle, and resale is always problem for Audi/VW. Of course, Boxster will be the best choice, but even a 7 yr old Boxster, still near $40K. (a good one)

For low $30K, and you want roadster, (or sporty car) S2000 is a very good choice, and they r low running cost too, but again, it is still a honda at the end of the day .. :( and a 2000/2001 S2K is running around $30K mark, you may find a deal from the east, but hassale. (but they probaby not winter driven)

you may also look at 98/99 Z3 or SLK 230 as well, if you want the sky high image.
I will consider the Z3, for overall handling and performance, even their timeless style, but they r not as fast a S2k, unless you go for the 230 hp 3.0L, but then will be $40K +

Also, you can conside a new Beatle convertiable and the Mini cooper Cab, they are running at the low $30K as well, fun car, but not fast.
Good luck ! Summer is here ! :thumbsup:
(not today .. :whipped: )

Ridelikeme
04-17-2004, 11:30 AM
dont listen to him.... if your looking for a s2k why would u even consider a beetle or a cooper. first of all any 4 cylinder that can make 240hp has obviously had alot of time put into design. therefore they are reliable, and fairly easy to maintain. the s2000 has amazing handling characteristics and looks way better than the audi tt bubble or the z3. plus there is an acutall aftermarket for the s2000, body kits, engine mods, and everything else a tuner could desire is becoming more and more readily available for the s2000.. take one for a rip and i guarantee u wont be dissapointed

EK 2.0
04-17-2004, 11:45 AM
aren't looks subjective??...and up to the indiuvdual??..

I mean I perssonally would go S2K, I love how they look and they do handle amazingly well...plus potential for better handing is only a few tuners away right??...In the end you have to decide why you want the car, what you are gonna to to the car, and how you are gonna drive the car...

Plus 9 Grand Redlines...can you say WOWSAHS??:eek:

But on the flip side...Audi's are very, very sweet cars, the AWD is a bonus, and I am sure if you wanted to will better suited towards a lil winter driving, and I am not too sure about the honda's top...and correct me if I am wrong anyone, but isn't teh Audi's top insulated??...Which might make it a better suited choice for our climates...

Check out specific forums on the cars, and see what owners have to say...Plus ask people on the street who own them...it's what i did before I picked up my DSM, different league I know, but great way to gather info man is to talk to owners...

Hope that helps, and good luck with your choice...Keep us posted on what you end up doing...

NickGT
04-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
(Is the "convertibles are cold in the winter" theory a myth?

Complete myth. Maybe really old verts. But nowadays, its all designed pretty good. I was sceptical too. But unless I have to, I don't think I'll ever go back, it's just way to sweet. :bigpimp:

pinoyhero
04-17-2004, 11:55 AM
Thanks all for the info and opinions keep em coming, as for the more specific questions, does anyone know of a good alberta or western canada s2000 forum I could try to get info at?

VTEXTC
04-17-2004, 12:22 PM
Feel free to pay us a visit at the Prairie Redliners Regional Club on S2ki.com

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=71

Cheers
Asif

VWhooligan
04-17-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by Ridelikeme
first of all any 4 cylinder that can make 240hp has obviously had alot of time put into design. therefore they are reliable, and fairly easy to maintain.

thats the biggest laugh i've ever heard. :rofl:

pinoyhero
04-17-2004, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by VTEXTC
Feel free to pay us a visit at the Prairie Redliners Regional Club on S2ki.com

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=71

Cheers
Asif

Thanks for th link, I looked at the site but there wasn't a whole lot about handling in the winter or the interior temp?

VTEXTC
04-17-2004, 01:51 PM
Go to www.s2ki.com and "search" will be your friend.

Given the construction of new vehicles nowadays, interior winter temperatures aren't even a concern. More than half of the S2000 owners here in Cowtown drive their cars year round, and haven't reported any issues.

Winter handling is a debatable issue as with any car. The S2000 has an extremely effective torque-sensitive limited slip differential which, coupled with a precise 50/50 weight distribution, makes the car quite versatile if driven properly in wintry conditions. Consensus on the forum is that the OEM tires are no good for conditions other than dry roads above freezing temperatures.

Again, most Calgary owners are running with winter tires of all brands and sizes, and judging by our "snow drags" last year, the S2000 is a sure competitor on winter roads with the right tires: quite evident when you're smoking 4WD trucks with all-seasons!

Good luck, and PM me should you have any further questions.
Asif

CKY
04-17-2004, 03:20 PM
the mazdaspeed miata seems pretty nice and its well under your price range meaning more cash flow for the tuning and performance upgrades. (is it out yet? i havn't seen 1 on the streets)

RedBull
04-17-2004, 04:31 PM
Check out the Nissan 350z, bit more pricey but i believe it should be a contender in your car search. I've had no problems driving in the winter with my Pirellia Wintersports and i enjoy the torque and power of the 3.5liter V-6. S2000 may be a better tuner car and track car but the 350z is surely a better everyday driver car in my opinion. Worth a look, good luck in your search!

rc2002
04-17-2004, 04:51 PM
Kramer Mazda has a mazdaspeed miata. I think they said the driveaway on a brand new one would be about $37000 so it's in your nieghborhood.

For handling, I think the miata would be better than the S2000. But the VTEC in the S2000 would be something else. IMO I would do the S2000. I'm sure you can find an 01 for around 35000. Max Boost's was the best deal around - I wish I bought his.:(

A2VR6
04-17-2004, 06:14 PM
I havent driven a S2000 before, but maybe someone who has can chime in on this. Is the lack of low-end torque an issue with the car? I believe this year they raised the torque specs of the car and the torque is close to the 1.8T of the TT but majority of the torque is still in the higher RPM range.

ramminghard
04-17-2004, 06:32 PM
the s2k is a shitty car to drive in the city. no power till the upper rpm's.

If i were you i would go and test drive everything your considering and then see what you like best.

4wheeldrift
04-17-2004, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by ramminghard
the s2k is a shitty car to drive in the city. no power till the upper rpm's. I really don't see why this is an issue. Drive it like a granny around town and enjoy reasonably good fuel economy, and drop the hammer when you feel like having fun.

africano
04-18-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by TenzoLude
Check out the Nissan 350z, bit more pricey but i believe it should be a contender in your car search. I've had no problems driving in the winter with my Pirellia Wintersports and i enjoy the torque and power of the 3.5liter V-6. S2000 may be a better tuner car and track car but the 350z is surely a better everyday driver car in my opinion. Worth a look, good luck in your search!

i think he wants a convertable though and a Z roadster prob will be out of his price range. I personally think the s2000 is a sweet ride from the factory but the engine is too high compression to be boosted so you can't really take advantage of that 9g redline with a turbine.

africano
04-18-2004, 01:36 PM
as a cruiser though s2000 would be :bigpimp:

EK 2.0
04-18-2004, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by TenzoLude

Originally posted by africano

i think he wants a convertable though and a Z roadster prob will be out of his price range. I personally think the s2000 is a sweet ride from the factory but the engine is too high compression to be boosted so you can't really take advantage of that 9g redline with a turbine.

I don't think that TenzoLude mentioned adding a turbo man...

max_boost
04-18-2004, 02:08 PM
For the price, it's design, it's power, it's reliability, I don't think there is another roadster that can compete. It's an award winning roadster but I have to say, if you aren't a performance guy, I don't think you will find this car that enjoyable.

My suggestions for winter are, equip it with winter tires and stay away from the hard snow fall days. For the really bad days, have a cheap $500 beater ready :D

Good luck, I miss my S2000 but there are more important things right now. However, I plan to get into another roadster once things are sorted out.

pinoyhero
04-19-2004, 10:17 PM
So its done, I bought the s2000 let me know if you guys think it was a good deal, here are the stats

2000, 20000km, red on black leather, Honda warranty until Jan15, 2007, paid $33,000

Thoughts?

EK 2.0
04-19-2004, 10:35 PM
Congrats on the purchase man...enjoy those redlines...:burnout:

CKY
04-19-2004, 11:46 PM
sounds great, wanna take me for a ride??:D :burnout:

ShOwOfF
04-19-2004, 11:51 PM
wow, congratulations!!! cant beat 120hp/liter

C4S
04-20-2004, 12:55 AM
Good job ! good deal ! $33K for a S2K nice !

even it is Red .. :( ( may be just me .. don't like red S2K .. :D )

max_boost
04-20-2004, 01:06 AM
Congrats! You don't see too many Formula Red's around:thumbsup:

pinoyhero
04-20-2004, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by CKY
sounds great, wanna take me for a ride??:D :burnout:

Hehe, if your a hot female yes.

pinoyhero
04-20-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
Congrats! You don't see too many Formula Red's around:thumbsup:

THanks MAX, you think I did OK on the price? I just found out there are not making anymore Formula red S2Ks anymore, SWEET.

C4S
04-20-2004, 06:03 PM

For Sale: 2000 Honda S2000, red on black leather, car is mint, only 19,000km and Honda warranty bumper to bumper until Jan'07 Asking $36,500. PM for details ect. NO TEST PILOTS.

:confused: :confused:

For sale already ? you just got the car ? you said you pay $33K, right ? and r u just joking to post is for sale ?
I don't get it ... :confused:

Impreza
04-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by C4S

:confused: :confused:

For sale already ? you just got the car ? you said you pay $33K, right ? and r u just joking to post is for sale ?
I don't get it ... :confused:

i don't get it either, i just read the thread and ur selling already?

C4S
04-20-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
i don't get it either, i just read the thread and ur selling already?

yeah .. but I guess, If I paid $33K for a car today, I don't mind to sell it for $36500 next day ! :thumbsup:

max_boost
04-20-2004, 07:23 PM
It'll be tough to sell at that price :eek: but you never know I suppose! So fast, I'm confused too.....:confused:

pinoyhero
04-20-2004, 10:35 PM
Hey guys now that I look at some of the recent psots mine do seems wierd with the buy and quick sell. Here's the scoop, and C4S hit it on the head...I'm not a car dealer but I think I got a decent price on the car and for a few grand wouldn't mind flippng out of it. I'll test it on the market for a while and if not...its mod time!

africano
04-22-2004, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
I don't think that TenzoLude mentioned adding a turbo man...

I'll test it on the market for a while and if not...its mod time!

My bad, read the Turbo Member's tread before posting here. But it sounds like I might have read his mind:dunno: :nut: