PDA

View Full Version : Height affect how big u look?

civic_rida
04-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Lets say you are 5'8" with 16 inch arms and a 45 inch chest. Then you stand next to some 6'5" dude with 16 inch arms and 45 inch chest. Tall guy would look skinny. Perhaps bigger due to height but he will not look built at all, just average. Whereas the 5'8" dude will look pretty buff, assuming they have similar bf%s

Does this also mean its harder for a taller guy to put on muscle cuz of longer arms , n body?

Also i think taller guys have advantage in some lifts

xrayvsn
04-16-2004, 11:45 PM
From what I remember in physiology, the longer a muscle is (for a given width), the stronger it is as long as it isn't at the limits of its length. So, the person with the longer arms will be able to lift more because he has more sarcomeres in series than the shorter guy, provided the muscles have the same diameter.

But then maybe the shorter guy's arms have more of a mechanical advantage than the taller guy...

I think the ability to put on muscle is related to a person's genes, rather than their height. Some people have a hard time building muscle mass beacuse they likely have a lower proportion of fast twitch fibre.

civic_rida
04-17-2004, 12:31 AM
shit man u know ur stuff.

xrayvsn
04-17-2004, 01:05 AM
Its all theory though.

I have a good friend who has a Ph.D in exercise physiology. I'll give him a call and ask him what he thinks.

nosegrindR
04-17-2004, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by xrayvsn

I think the ability to put on muscle is related to a person's genes, rather than their height. Some people have a hard time building muscle mass beacuse they likely have a lower proportion of fast twitch fibre.

i think i remember reading this in an issue of mens health, it makes sense :thumbsup: