PDA

View Full Version : ice slick roads

mutsuraboshi
04-17-2004, 11:04 AM
:eek: shieaaaattt man. the roads were frozen solid last night in the NW
i was travelling down john laurie, and one of a sudden i totally lost control and fish tailed from curb to curb. i hit about 5 times, and amazingly dint hit any other cars or damage the body...
im pretty sure my wheel balance is totally off...
i'll be needing sum mad wheel alignments
and...my dad is gonna kill me when i get home
i hope everyone else got home safe like i did

...ps chris i banged in all four rims!!!! :rofl:

Nav13
04-17-2004, 11:11 AM
I found out the hard way. I dropped my bro of at dalhousie station and came back home, roads seemed perfectly fine. 20 mins later I head out with my friends and am driving down shag towards john laurie, and lets just say there was a close encounter, but i manged to sneak through a crack between two cars. I drove hella slow after that, even though I wasnt even driving fast in the first place. oh yea i had summer tires on too:thumbsdow .

SoSlowDx
04-17-2004, 11:16 AM
Deerfoot South was closed from Beddington there was like 5 accidents on Deerfoot :eek:

Ridelikeme
04-17-2004, 11:39 AM
lower springbank road i saw a white van hit the ditch and flip onto its roof... i had 4 wheel drive on and was doing like 50km/h and i couldnt stay on the road, the grade is so high on lower and upper springbank that u just slide into the ditch, i ended up driving in the ditch for like 2 kms before i could get out

air_mikey
04-17-2004, 11:53 AM
sarcee trail off john laurie going up towards the superstore was shear ice. my mom couldnt get up that hill so i went to go help her and my gf's car couldnt make it up at all so i got out to see if i could spot my mom and i just started to slide down the hill. i grabbed the car and didnt let go until i was inside.

nosegrindR
04-17-2004, 11:55 AM
the roads weren't that bad around 2:45-3am, only in the residential areas the roads were sketchy, but roads like bow trail, sarcee, 17th, those roads seemed to have pretty good traction.

A_3
04-17-2004, 12:00 PM
does anyone know how bad they are right now?

1-Bar
04-17-2004, 12:03 PM
they are good to go!!

SpoonEK9@STRD
04-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by Ridelikeme
lower springbank road i saw a white van hit the ditch and flip onto its roof... i had 4 wheel drive on and was doing like 50km/h and i couldnt stay on the road, the grade is so high on lower and upper springbank that u just slide into the ditch, i ended up driving in the ditch for like 2 kms before i could get out

just on 69th street not to far from there, 69th and 17ave, near the neighbors there was another roll over, this one ate it though..
Cherokee looked like it flipped 5 times. 1 block away from this 6 car pile up including a brand new g35(2 door track pack)

EDM
04-17-2004, 09:56 PM
people have got to slow down in these conditions. I was heading north on crowchild past crowfoot at 70 and it was damn icy. People who zooming past at 90 :eek:

slow the feck down in these conditions or someone is gonna get hurt or killed :whipped:

(this was friday night)

GTS Jeff
04-18-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by mutsuraboshi
i was travelling down john laurie, and one of a sudden i totally lost control and fish tailed from curb to curb. i hit about 5 times, and amazingly dint hit any other cars or damage the body...
im pretty sure my wheel balance is totally off...
i'll be needing sum mad wheel alignments
and...my dad is gonna kill me when i get home
i hope everyone else got home safe like i did

...ps chris i banged in all four rims!!!! :rofl: whoa u might want to see what suspension parts need replacing..

mutsuraboshi
04-18-2004, 02:04 AM
the rear driver side wheel looks as if it were turning left like a front wheel would be doing.
and it throws off the cars handling.
i hafta steer the the left in order to get teh car to travel straight
and i cant go very fast either untill it feels like im playing initial D
SO HAAHAH this morning i went from edgemont back up to signal hill (NW -> SW)
going no faster than 50km :poosie:
and ppl were just piling up behind me, honking their horns
and passing by birds flipping at me...

cujo_cjc
04-18-2004, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by SpoonEK9

just on 69th street not to far from there, 69th and 17ave, near the neighbors there was another roll over, this one ate it though..
Cherokee looked like it flipped 5 times. 1 block away from this 6 car pile up including a brand new g35(2 door track pack)

i was almost part of that 6 car pile up..except i was lucky enough to countersteer my fishtailing car.
i thank initial d and my snow drifting practice for my good luck i had! :p

mutsuraboshi
04-18-2004, 02:15 AM
HHAhhahHAHHA
intial D....
who would have thot

talonboi
04-18-2004, 01:42 PM
that night i saw 1 car was rear ended by another car...behind them was a ghost cop with the lightz on, he was also rear ended by another ghost cop, and behind that ghost cop was a squad car side swiped!:dunno: :dunno: this was on crowchild near the university

Benny
04-18-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by mutsuraboshi
i was travelling down john laurie, and one of a sudden i totally lost control and fish tailed from curb to curb. i hit about 5 times

I was behind somebody who did something very similar to that. Might have been you.

rc2002
04-18-2004, 08:12 PM
Man, road conditions change instantly. Yesterday morning, everything was perfect. I didn't even see hints of ice...

Orbie
04-18-2004, 09:06 PM
If anyone was on Deerfoot near Beddington that night around 10pm-12am you would know first hand how slippery the roads were. Police had the whole section blocked off from the on ramp to the Deerfoot mall offramp. If you watched the news you would have seen the accident involving a Taxi and a Mustang. The person in the Taxi ended up dying from the accident. This was because of the slippery roads. Traffic was diverted from the Beddington onramp to the Deerfoot mall offramp to get by the accident. So if you wanted to go down Deerfoot south you needed to follow the above path. But because the Deerfoot mall offramp leads to a controlled intersection, traffic was backed out towards Airdrie it was crazy!

We drove by going Deerfoot North and the accident looked pretty bad, the taxi had it's roof ripped off, either by the accident or the jaws of life. And all the Mustang suffered was a messed up front hood. Not sure how the accident occured though.

I heard that Shaganappi to Country Hills was also closed because of the slippery road. I saw police cars blocking the route up Shag from Country hills. Sarcee I heard was also horrible. Very strange weather that caused 100's of accidents around Calgary, hopefully no more fatalities though.

chukilabs
04-19-2004, 12:16 AM
I almost lostit a few times.
It was sketchy out there

mutsuraboshi
04-19-2004, 02:16 AM
Originally posted by Benny

I was behind somebody who did something very similar to that. Might have been you.

mmm greenish blue 93 accord se?