PDA

View Full Version : Shop for head Gasket repair?

CLiVE
04-19-2004, 11:56 AM
Ok, the head gasket went on my 1992 grand am SE (4 cyl) went, and I need a few recommendations of where to get it repaired(CHEAP), so I can call around for estimates.

I don't have the time to do it myself, and need it repaired asap. Or is there anyone here who is qualified, that wants to make a quick buck and repair it.

Can anyone help me out??

Ducati
04-19-2004, 01:23 PM
Somebody should post the procedure on how to do this along with any caveats that we should be aware of.

I have never replaced a head gasket before, however I cannot see any reason why I would not tackle this job myself. There probably are some special tools needed that we should be aware of. We are trying to nurse another few months of use out of my girlfriends old Sunfire POS until we can get a few other things out of the way, and can test drive the new Scions and Smart cars when they are available later this summer. The Sunfire has a mysterious coolant loss that is not identifiable with visible puddles on the ground, and often the temperature mysteriously climbs. I suspect head gasket problems, however I do not see signs of coolant in the oil.

QuasarCav
04-19-2004, 01:28 PM
I can post the procedure for fixing the 2.2 head gasket, seem to go quite commonly.

as long as you have the time and the tools it wont be too hard.

anyone interested??

CLiVE
04-19-2004, 01:44 PM
Yes, please post it:thumbsup:

Can anyone recommend a shop also?

QuasarCav
04-19-2004, 02:14 PM
okay give me some time to prepare here.

want to make sure i have everything correct so I don't get ripped to pieces for posting wrong info.

I am at work so it may be tommorrow morning, don't fear you will be changing head gaskets in no time!

CLiVE
04-19-2004, 04:04 PM
Damn, just got a few quotes...on the head gasket for the grand am.

Cheapest was $900 for labour, plus parts!!!!! :eek:

Estimates call for a 12 hour job..?

Ducati
04-19-2004, 04:11 PM
To save 9C I will pay careful attention to your instructions QuasarCav. Even if it is a 2.2 (which I think is the engine in my girlfriends battered old 90' Sunfire) the thing I most need to know is the sequence of things in the R&R process, Special Tools required, and any special things to watch out for.

CLiVE
04-19-2004, 04:35 PM
my 92 Grand Am is a 2.3

QuasarCav
04-20-2004, 09:24 AM
Alright i have the info for a 2.2(most common new GM 4cyl)

but the 2.3, wouldn't want to touch it with a 40 foot pole.

It's the 2.3LO quad 4 right?

still any takers, pretty much verbatim out of a haynes manual with a few things i learned with my two head gasket replacments.

9 hours labor is about right, most people wont attempt something like this if they are backyard mechanics.

I'll look for the quad write up though!

nickyh
04-20-2004, 12:51 PM
I had a great experience at Mid-Sun Auto in the Midnapore area.

Maybe give them a call - 254-4828

Head Gasket is a pretty expensive job though. IT went on my moms neon and the dealer wanted $1000 for the job. After aruging (sp?) about it being a hidden warranty prob they finally agreed to do it for $100.

CLiVE
04-20-2004, 01:05 PM
so $900 + parts is a fair estimate. Damn.
I'm not to keen on attempting it myself.