PDA

View Full Version : Dual DDR

accordboi_02
04-19-2004, 04:03 PM
Alright, I've heard many different things about Dual DDR, so I want to get the record set straight:

Do you need to buy the dual kits? do they come with anything needed outside of two matching memory sticks??

Can you run 3 sticks of RAM on a Dual DDR MB??

Thanks everyone!

MerfBall
04-19-2004, 04:25 PM
Your referring to running in dual channel. I'm not sure of AMD chipsets, but this will only benefit you when running a P4 w/ HT and chipsets that supports Dual Channel (i.e. i865, i875). And even then it's not necessary, so long as you get two sticks of DDR from the same manufacture (preferably at the same time). You cannot run 3 sticks in dual channel if you have odd number of banks filled you will automatically run in single channel.

Doomsday88
04-20-2004, 02:00 AM
There are minor benefits to running Dual Channel DDR on an Athlon. I run 1GB of DDR RAM. My Benchmarks on Futuremark '03 jumped 50pts after upgrading. (Mind you, XP stopped crashing so much when you have 50 windows open).

No you do not need to purchase a Dual Channel DDR kit, 2 matching sticks of memory will work (IE: Same Cas, timing, and speed).

Hope this helps.

rice_eater
04-20-2004, 09:37 AM
not sure about the benefits but i can tell you you can run odd number of memory sticks. i got a dual DDR motherboard and only a stick of 526 ram and it's fine

Doomsday88
04-20-2004, 11:13 AM
I think he was refferring to the RAM running in DUAL Channel Mode. In your case you would not be.

What is 526MB of RAM???????? I think you mean 512.

frostyda9
04-21-2004, 06:13 PM
I've used my 512's in a dual channel config and a single channel one, and if anything I liked it better in single channel. It benchmarks slightly higher in Sandra in dual channel, but that's just a number on the screen. A lot of RAM manufacturers sell matched dual channel kits, but I've run 2 same type (but not matched) Corsair sticks in dual with no problems. Unless you have lots of money to burn on a blingin' OCZ gold edition RAM set, I wouldnt waste your money on "matched" sticks.

YCB
04-21-2004, 10:27 PM
i have 2 512 sticks running in a dual channel... people say its just more optimal, and you should have "matched" sticks...