PDA

View Full Version : Resume Help Please!

liquid1010
04-19-2004, 05:07 PM
Altright, I'm basically done my degree after this semester... and want to apply to some jobs. My resume however sucks, as I have little in the way of experience. Even the format of the resume is lame. I want something with some creativity, but that isn't overly gaudy. Do you guys/girls have any formats, or know of where I can go. I havn't hit-up the career centre...... but anyone here have any advice as to how to spruce it up?

gkAeris
04-19-2004, 05:08 PM
umm

what about the stuff that comes with MS word, they have like 15 templates to choose from....

liquid1010
04-19-2004, 05:09 PM
I was thinking about that... but it seems to much the same :dunno:

Also, does anyone know how I can make a word document into PDF format?

TrevorK
04-20-2004, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by liquid1010
I was thinking about that... but it seems to much the same :dunno:

Also, does anyone know how I can make a word document into PDF format?

Yes - do not use templates.

As someone who's looked through hundreds of resumes, I'd start rejecting ones that use templates.

ZorroAMG
04-20-2004, 11:11 AM
Yeah the big key when doing a resume is to have it catch the reviewer's eye while remaining professional and suited to the job being applied for. Have some creativity but don't get carried away :)

EK 2.0
04-20-2004, 11:17 AM
and having used to work in H.R. for the Calgary Health Region...I know this advice might be a lil ahead of you right now...but choose your paper wisely...A heavier weight and an off white colour will go a LONG way in the notion of being noticed by anyone looking thru a ton of resumes...

liquid1010
04-20-2004, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
and having used to work in H.R. for the Calgary Health Region...I know this advice might be a lil ahead of you right now...but choose your paper wisely...A heavier weight and an off white colour will go a LONG way in the notion of being noticed by anyone looking thru a ton of resumes...

I was going to do that... but they want the resume's handed in electronically (email). Anything else I can do?

RC-Cola
04-21-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by liquid1010

I was going to do that... but they want the resume's handed in electronically (email). Anything else I can do?

If they want you to e-mail your resume why not try doing it in Power Point. It allows you to be creative and everyone has the program so you don't have to worry about them not being able to see it.

It worked for me.

liquid1010
04-21-2004, 12:14 AM
The company asked for it in MS word or Adobe... but that sounds like a cool idea. Thanks :D

D'z Nutz
04-21-2004, 12:39 AM
You really should consider talking to the career center. It's a free service for you and they have a lot of information that will help you improve your resume/cover letters, as well as interviewing skills. I'd highly recommend them.

liquid1010
04-21-2004, 12:42 AM
Do you have to make an appointment, or can I just show-up?

Thanks.

D'z Nutz
04-21-2004, 12:47 AM
They occassionally have resume writing workshops like that, so you might want to look into that. But if you're strapped for time and there isn't any one coming up anytime soon, I'm sure they'll talk to you personally. Whether you have to make an appointment or just show up, I can't honestly say. Just give them a call and see. They'll probably have a look at your resume and point out the good points and things you need to work on it, which is very helpful.

In addition to that, I believe they also do mock interviews as well, if you don't feel your interviewing skills are up to par and need a bit of work.

I also posted a zip file with the powerpoint slides they sent people who signed up for their workshops a while back. Do a search for them and see if you can find them. They may be able to help you out. I think the thread was something along the lines of "interview questions" or something like that, if I recall correctly.