PDA

View Full Version : Results of my stop sign ticket

michael_pro
04-19-2004, 07:05 PM
Pleaded to Prosecuting attorney to let me pay fine (287.00) with no demerits.

It helped that I was in school (U of C) have kids and only part-time job she said.

She was ready to nail me to the wall because I committed my crime at what she calls dead man's corner.

37th st and 22x

And, it was a cop coming down 22x that i cut off when i went through the stop sign.

I got lucky and just wanted to thank everyone with their quick and helpful advice.

The old thread was here
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&threadid=41282

michael_pro
04-19-2004, 07:08 PM
I was lectured about the legal way to stop at a stop sign.

3m before road or on line if it exists.

A_3
04-19-2004, 07:17 PM
I've got a similar ticket coming up, the crown didn't let me off the first time, so i gotta go back to court in august for a ticket i got in early december to try and get my demerits off. I'm gunna play similar to points to you, students, part-time job, no moneys... hope it work i was to go through the rcmp though which is a bitch!

michael_pro
04-19-2004, 07:18 PM
mine was RCMp also.

GL man.

fast95pony
04-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by michael_pro

It helped that I was in school (U of C) have kids and only part-time job she said.

Silly question,but how does that help ?? If you had no kids
and made a million bucks a year would you have been given demerits points ??

I could see if you had a good driving record ,or road conditions were poor , but how does the number of kids a person has , or a person's financial status decide on how many points a person gets??

That just doesn't seem logical.

I'm not picking on you.I'm glad you didn't get any points.I'm just trying to figure out the Justice system !!

Should a childless person driving a McLaren F1 be charged more than a person with 5 kids driving a rusty 15 year old Yugo for the same offence ?? See my point ??

Does a person's ability to pay a fine or higher insurance decide the court's decision ??

ThaSpirit
04-19-2004, 09:02 PM
Should a childless person driving a McLaren F1 be charged more than a person with 5 kids driving a rusty 15 year old Yugo for the same offence ?? See my point ??

Does a person's ability to pay a fine or higher insurance decide the court's decision ??

Only in Sweden :D :D :D

autobodygal
04-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony

Silly question,but how does that help ?? If you had no kids
and made a million bucks a year would you have been given demerits points ??

I could see if you had a good driving record ,or road conditions were poor , but how does the number of kids a person has , or a person's financial status decide on how many points a person gets??

I'm not picking on you.I'm glad you didn't get any points.I'm just trying to figure out the Justice system !!

I agree that it is a screwed philosophy. But by the opposite token, cops don't pull over as many older people driving luxury cars as they do younger people with pimped out cars. There seems to be a strange shift in equality and justice as far as traffic offenses go.

abyss
04-19-2004, 09:45 PM
I have a good ticket story...make that a lucky ticket story, I got a $200.00 speeding ticket thrown away because the cop that gave it to me no longer was a cop when I went to go fight it. Just a reminder to ALWAYS fight your tickets. :thumbsup:

fast95pony
04-19-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by autobodygal

I agree that it is a screwed philosophy. But by the opposite token, cops don't pull over as many older people driving luxury cars as they do younger people with pimped out cars. There seems to be a strange shift in equality and justice as far as traffic offenses go.

Excellent point !!
Unfortunately the very items a person adds to their car (body kits,bright colours,rims,loud exhausts, etc.) to make it stand out also attracts cops. :(

I guess cops see young drivers with pimped out cars as an easy target.

That's why my Stang has the sleeper look !

HeckelZ
04-20-2004, 01:07 AM
yeah i went today, Monday 19th and i got my demerites removed, just told them i was a full time student and had a part-time job and couldnt afford the demerites on my insurance and liscense... and they took them off

Raz
04-20-2004, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by ThaSpirit

Only in Sweden :D :D :D

Finland.

3G
04-20-2004, 11:54 AM

Excellent point !!
Unfortunately the very items a person adds to their car (body kits,bright colours,rims,loud exhausts, etc.) to make it stand out also attracts cops. :(

I guess cops see young drivers with pimped out cars as an easy target.

That's why my Stang has the sleeper look !

So say someone is driving normally at the speed limit minding their own selves, not being an ass, a cop would pull them over?

Xtrema
04-20-2004, 02:10 PM

He already admitted guilt.
He agrees to pay the fine at full. (which will pay for the whole process)

Demerit point will raise insurance for years to come and it doesn't really benefit/hurt the justice system withholding it. If the driver show remorse and finanical problem, why impose demerit points?

keroppi
04-21-2004, 03:24 AM
i think our justice system and the police should issue $1000 ticket to those who read book while driving!
No matter how much you speed or how you run a stop sign, reading a book while driving (not waiting at traffic light but actually driving!!) is the most rediculous thing any driver could do.

Just a couple weeks ago, I was following a minivan on memorial drive heading West, and this van was going much slower than the rest of the traffic. So I pulled out, and while I passed it, I saw a young guy driving but his eyes were on a book on the steering wheel! I horned him and tried to get his attention back on the road, but he looked at me indifferently and back to his book!! :dunno: :guns:

Maybe the police needs new radar guns that can scan for books in cars!

GTS Jeff
04-21-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by keroppi
i think our justice system and the police should issue $1000 ticket to those who read book while driving!
No matter how much you speed or how you run a stop sign, reading a book while driving (not waiting at traffic light but actually driving!!) is the most rediculous thing any driver could do.

Just a couple weeks ago, I was following a minivan on memorial drive heading West, and this van was going much slower than the rest of the traffic. So I pulled out, and while I passed it, I saw a young guy driving but his eyes were on a book on the steering wheel! I horned him and tried to get his attention back on the road, but he looked at me indifferently and back to his book!! :dunno: :guns:

Maybe the police needs new radar guns that can scan for books in cars! meh how about an all encompassing $9999 fine for stupidity?

Hakkola
04-21-2004, 10:36 AM

In my opinion YES, and YES.

Think about it, you have 3 million in the bank and all sorts of assets, you get a $200 ticket it's not a big deal, in fact I'd laugh it off, even where I am right now a $200 ticket isn't a very big deal.

Now imagine if you only have $200 in the bank when you get that $200 dollar ticket, it's a huge fine even without the demerits.

Originally posted by Raz

Finland.

LOL, I was about to make the exact same post. I believe Teemu Selanne had the record for worlds biggest speeding ticket, but another Finn recently took those honours I think. One of the reasons I don't think I should move to Finland, I know I'll get nailed.

Roadrage
04-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by Hakkola

LOL, I was about to make the exact same post. I believe Teemu Selanne had the record for worlds biggest speeding ticket, but another Finn recently took those honours I think. One of the reasons I don't think I should move to Finland, I know I'll get nailed.

He was either the current or ex CEO of Nokia. I believe it was ex.