PDA

View Full Version : Shawnessy YMCA

sputnik
04-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Checked out the Shawnessy YMCA tonight.

Pretty busy place, but VERY clean with lots to do. I was told that Monday from 6pm-8pm is the worst time to go though as it is always busy on Monday nights (people feeling guilty after the weekend). Its also right beside the Somerset LRT station that will be opening this summer (June/July).

Weight Machines
- 50+ of them all connected to "Fitlinxx" which keeps track of your workout.
- Clean and new however just a bit close together.

Cardio
- Few dozen machines (~15 treadmills).
- Clean and new equipment.
- Signout board so that you know which machine will be free and when. Then you sign in for 30 minutes to let others know when you are going to be done (instead of having them stare at you work out the entire time)
- There is also a track that goes around the entire workout area. Rubber floor for an easy run.

Free Weights
- Limited stuff, however it was the least busy area in the workout area.
- Workstations so that you can track your workout with Fitlinxx
- Good quality equipment.

Studio
- Nice and quiet
- Cycling, Yoga, Pilates classes... (standard chick crap if you are into that :P)

Full Hardwood Gym
- Basketball, Volleyball...

Climbing Wall
- 6 lanes.
- Belay certification course ($40)

Locker Rooms ("PLUS" Membership - $798/yr)
- IMMACULATE! VERY CLEAN
- Carpeted, Comfortable...
- Towel Service
- Day Lockers (bring your own lock)
- No kids (except the odd little kid going to swimming lessons when their dad is with them)
- Shampoo, Bodywash, Conditioner, Shaving Cream, Gel, Hairspray etc...

Locker Rooms (General Membership - $555/yr)
- VERY clean, but quite busy
- Day lockers
- Where all the kids are

Anyhow, for me this seems like a decent option less than 10 minutes from home and close to the new LRT station so I might just park there in the mornings and workout afterwork before going home, and since I can get there at around 4ish it shouldnt be too busy. Personally I will go with the "PLUS Memebership" as there are quite a few kids in the evenings (swimming lessons) and I prefer getting changed without kids running all over the place.

If anyone has an questions about the place... there might have been things that I missed above.

962 kid
04-19-2004, 09:16 PM
yah I agree, its a pretty clean facility, im there probably every day or 2, and i think the worst times to go are around 9 am and 3 pm because thats when all the bishop o'byrne students arrive/leave, can fill up the gyms pretty quickly. also, for the basic memberships you dont need to bring your own lock, you drop off your card at the front desk as you go in, im not sure if the plus members need to bring their own or not. Also, if it suits your needs you can pay your membership on a monthly basis, so you can cancel anytime, the only downside is a 10 dollar (i think) adimistration fee or something like that

nismodrifter
04-19-2004, 09:29 PM
962: I think I saw you there today.....I was the brown guy who looked like a crackhead since I was studyin for 10hrs straight (I was sittin on a bench/table thing near the food place).....did you by chance purcahse a pack of cnady or somethin from there?? lol, stalkin to the max :D

I want to get a membership there...seems like a really good place to go, clean and don'thave to worry about gettin shanked or anythin of the sort :D

962 kid
04-19-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by nismodrifter
962: I think I saw you there today.....I was the brown guy who looked like a crackhead since I was studyin for 10hrs straight (I was sittin on a bench/table thing near the food place).....did you by chance purcahse a pack of cnady or somethin from there?? lol, stalkin to the max :D

haha yup, a kit kat, but only after checkin out the skittles. stalker indeed, i didnt see you around.

sputnik
04-20-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by
yah I agree, its a pretty clean facility, im there probably every day or 2, and i think the worst times to go are around 9 am and 3 pm because thats when all the bishop o'byrne students arrive/leave, can fill up the gyms pretty quickly. also, for the basic memberships you dont need to bring your own lock, you drop off your card at the front desk as you go in, im not sure if the plus members need to bring their own or not. Also, if it suits your needs you can pay your membership on a monthly basis, so you can cancel anytime, the only downside is a 10 dollar (i think) adimistration fee or something like that

All members (Plus or General) can borrow locks. Both of the locker rooms are "day lockers" just due to the sheer amount of people that use the facility.

Ben
04-20-2004, 08:02 AM
24h?

sputnik
04-20-2004, 09:09 AM
5:30am - 10:00pm

There are very few 24 hour facilities in this city.

Ben
04-20-2004, 09:12 AM
yeha, I'm strange, I always get those 2am urges to go and work out, and my workbench just doesn't cut it. Looks like I'm gonna go with the facility here at work.

sputnik
04-20-2004, 09:41 AM
at 2am im consistantly sleeping... thats the thing about working 7-3 everyday

Ben
04-20-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by sputnik
at 2am im consistantly sleeping... thats the thing about working 7-3 everyday
Yeah, I know. I work M-F 8-4, I just like having the option for that off occasion I want to go out at 2am. Or Weekends.

nickyh
04-20-2004, 12:42 PM
does it have a pool so you can swim laps?

sputnik
04-20-2004, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by nickyh
does it have a pool so you can swim laps?

25m lap pool

GT2NV
04-20-2004, 09:36 PM
way too many little kids there to work out

86max
04-20-2004, 10:28 PM
I checked out that place last year when I was looking for a gym. Nice facility, too many kids. And not being too big a fan of kids running around, I chose Cali Fitness x-press in midnapore instead for only 20$/mo.....they wanted 40 at ymca as a student.

No pool or showers or anything but I don't care bout that stuff.

sputnik
04-21-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by 86max
No pool or showers or anything but I don't care bout that stuff.

NO SHOWERS???

Thats pretty disgusting.

Mckenzie
04-22-2004, 04:06 PM
I love the YMCA compared to the UofC Gym. I am there about 4 times a week and its great. Lots of hot cougars too....

I am very hapy with my membership though for $37 per month.