PDA

View Full Version : Joe Thornton

habsfan
04-20-2004, 12:58 PM
Well after hearing his comments and watching him play in the series vs. Montreal, i have to say that ive lost a great deal of respect for Thornton. Sure he can be a great player and a force, but as far as leadership goes he is definately lacking. And as far as his performance goes, i honestly believe he hindered his team more than he helped. Yes, he has torn rib cartlidge or whatever, but i mean, sometimes you have to put your pride aside and realize when you are not helping. Also, following the Game 7 loss to the Habs, Thornton was makin many excuses and complaints about the way the team played. He did not handle the situation like a professional, even saying that his team's performance was "unacceptable". To me, this does not sound like a comment coming from a captain. A team captain is expected to be a leader. He is expected to guide his team, and when bad things happen(i.e. a game 7 loss) his job is not to bitch about losing. As a captain he should have congratulated his team mates for an excellent effort in the game and series, even though they fell just short. I'm fully expecting to get flamed for what im sayin, but this is my opinion of him now. Feel free to add your opinion. But remember, im not trying to start a war, so lets keep it civil shall we? :thumbsup:

88CRX
04-20-2004, 01:06 PM
...... and this is coming from someone that cheers for the habs :rolleyes:

habsfan
04-20-2004, 01:07 PM
your point? :dunno: i dont see how the fact that im a habs fan makes my opinions invalid

sputnik
04-20-2004, 01:10 PM
so what exactly are you trying to say?

The guy was seriously injured fought through the pain and still laced up the skates every night which IMHO is VERY impressive and probably VERY motivating for his teammates.

When being interviewed about the series... OF COURSE he is going to say that the team fell short (thats what losing is isnt it?). What do you want him to say "everyone tried their hardest and thats okay"?

This is the NHL... not the special olymipics

habsfan
04-20-2004, 01:24 PM
i do commend him for playing through the pain of the rib injury, but IMO the comments he made were just not befitting of a captain. "this series should have been ours" "it was unacceptable" etc, to me it sounds liek he's making excues about the loss rather than realizing that montreal just really showed up and fought back hard.

sputnik
04-20-2004, 01:42 PM
what excuses? you havent mentioned one yet.

all you are saying is the Thornton is depressed because they were at the top of the division and lost to a team that barely made the playoffs.

I dont think the habs were that much better... the bruins just fell apart. Montreal didnt really have to shut down much offense from Boston.

88CRX
04-20-2004, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

The guy was seriously injured fought through the pain and still laced up the skates every night which IMHO is VERY impressive and probably VERY motivating for his teammates.

When being interviewed about the series... OF COURSE he is going to say that the team fell short (thats what losing is isnt it?). What do you want him to say "everyone tried their hardest and thats okay"?

This is the NHL... not the special olymipics

:werd:

what thornton did was aweseome!!! i bet there isnt one player on the re-Habs that would play through an injury like that.

ie - Ribero and Kovalev

sputnik
04-20-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

Ribero and Kovalev

:werd:

Those 2 fools were the laughing stock of the (re)habs. Riberio and his little crying wolf routine was the most childish thing I have ever seen in all of my years watching hockey. Kovalev complained for a couple games after he decided to stop playing when he was slashed and Murray walked into win the game. Even Gainey said that Kovalev should have kept playing and that his own actions cost them the game.

Habsfan - You want unsportsmanlike play? Just look at your own beloved team.

habsfan
04-20-2004, 02:08 PM
you guys arent gettin what im saying here. i already said i commend thornton for playin through that injury. and lets not get into that ribeiro kovalev shit(im against what they did so theres no point in bringin it up).

ok what im sayin is, thornton has the C on his jersey. now i dont know if you have even been a captain of a team, but its somethin i take seriously and with the captaincy comes the responsibility to be a role model. ya it does suck gettin knocked out of the playoffs, and it does depress you like a son-of-a-bitch, but my opinion is that joe thornton did not display the traits of a captain. When we lost in the playoffs this year, i stood up and congratulated the team on a good season and a hard effort. so all im saying is the fact that Thornton did not congratulate his team mates in ANY way, unless it was in a interview or a meeting i didnt see. that, IMO is what a captain is supposed to do, be a role model for his team.

but fuck it. im done here now lol.

88CRX
04-20-2004, 02:12 PM
Tampa in 6

habsfan
04-20-2004, 02:13 PM
lol ya i dont think mtl will beat out tbay, but im still gonna cheer for em, just like ill cheer for calgary and the other canadian team, be it t.o or ottawa

and ya im not tryin to make n e enemies here, so i hope i havent made anyone pissed off at me for what ive stated above.

im out to toronto for the night, so long

88CRX
04-20-2004, 02:21 PM
no man..... i'm just playin :D its all good

colinderksen
04-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Originally posted by sputnik

He is paid the big bucks to play through the pain. Joe is the captain, he is there to be a leader on and off the ice.

bigboom
04-20-2004, 03:23 PM
it sounds like you are just jumping on that whole "lets get rid of the c on thortons jersey" bandwagon.

hyperwhite
04-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by habsfan
lol ya i dont think mtl will beat out tbay, but im still gonna cheer for em

haha, you didn't think they would beat the bruins so STFU! haha. jk. :D