PDA

View Full Version : Need Help In Picking AMP PLEASE

slaya15
04-20-2004, 02:56 PM
alright I have 2 audiobahn 10" subs that do 20-400 rms and 800 peak watts, they are both dual 4-ohm dvc. The model is AWC10T.
I want the subs to perform at 2ohm in parallel. I want to know if I should get a mono amp or a 2 channel amp, and how much wattage the amp should have, if anyone has any suggestions please post them, Thank You.

Here is a link for the sub-
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-SRSTJeJ2oL9/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=10&g=67600&I=037AWC10T&o=m&a=0&cc=01&avf=N

Also since the subs are dual dvc for each sub i am confused on wiring, i want to have them do a 2 ohm load but should there be empy spot in the coils? i am very confused since there is 4 sets of +- spots on each sub, if someone can explain it to me it would be very helpful.

kazzxtrismus
04-20-2004, 06:23 PM
over powering is ok if you set it up right...that said go with your max and set your gain at no higher than 55% EVER...i'd say any amp that'll do that power will be fine name means little unless you do go to 2 ohm a class "D" amp at 400 rms will do you very nice 2 ohm is never the best its always more distorted....i use 2 600 watt bazooka's yes they made amps and a 1farad cap and my sys punds very nice tks!

slaya15
04-20-2004, 06:31 PM
im looking at getting a jl 300/2
here is the link- http://www.jlaudio.com/amps/3002.html
How well will this do.

substance_x
04-20-2004, 07:01 PM
You won't get 2 ohms if they're dual 4 ohm subs.

You will get 1 ohm if you wire it parallel and 4 ohms if you wire it in series.

substance_x
04-20-2004, 07:05 PM
If you buy dual 2 ohms then you can wire parallel to get 2 ohms

As far as the amp, if you buy a mono block it will be more efficient than the class ab amp.

slaya15
04-20-2004, 07:08 PM
the file shows a diagram of what my subs are and the caption for it was

"This diagram shows 2 DVC speakers with the voice coils wired in parallel. Each voice coil has an impedance of 4 ohms which results in a 2 ohm impedance for each speaker. One speaker is connected to each channel of the amplifier. This is a 2 ohm stereo lo d."

I had a friend wire the subs for me and he said he wired them in paralled for a 2 ohm load, so i am confused, is my info wrong?
If so please tell me why.

EarthWake_Audio
04-20-2004, 07:13 PM
ok first off the 300/2 will not give you enough power...
you need something with some werious balls behind it...
it is always better to run too much power than not enough...you can always turn an amp down but you can only crank it up soo high...
you need either 2 amps or 1 amp and that is 1 ohm stable...with a minimum of 800 watts rms...
if you need help choosing pm me

and one more thing...most amps are rated for 2 ohms, and make half the power at 4 ohms(just to let you know)

slaya15
04-20-2004, 07:31 PM
i think i found the answer to my subs wiring.

here it is http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/wiringwizard.asp?WoofQty=2+woofers&WoofImp=Dual+Voice+Coil+-+4+ohms+x+2&image.x=20&image.y=2

but i am still confused, because there are 4 sets of +- terminals on each woofer and this diagram shows only 2 sets of +- terminals on each woofer, please someone correct my thinking.

slaya15
04-20-2004, 07:47 PM
ok i figured out my wiring problem, you just leave 2 of the sets empty only using 2 sets of +- on each woofer.

but i still need proof that my specific subs with the dual dvc 4 ohm will give me a 1 ohm load in parallel and 4 ohm load in series.

i have had several people say that is wrong and several say it is right, so please i would like some more opinions and proof if it can be shown.

spike98
04-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Are you sure that there is 4 pairs of terminals on your sub. I am 100% sure audiobahn DOES NOT make a QVC (quad voice coil). In fact what you are seeing is a DVC sub. I am sure you are thinking that there is 4 sets because there are 2 prongs on each input. Look neer the spider (wavy brownish thingy) under the cone. Is there 4 wires in total? Or 8?

4 is what i thought. So the rockford diagram is exactly how you should wire your subs.

Side note: i would be VERY skeptical about giving those drivers 400W RMS a peice. Audiobahn is known for over-rating there products. Give 200W RMS each and call her a day.

substance_x
04-20-2004, 08:13 PM
Oh you're right about the 2 ohms, BUT that's for a two channel amplifier. Each channel sees 2 ohms.

It's different if you're going with a mono amp. In the case of a mono amp, You will get a final 1ohm.

slaya15
04-20-2004, 08:16 PM
here are the specs for the sub:

AWC10T
10” PERFORMER SUBWOOFER
60 oz. Strontium Magnet
Power Handling: 400 watts RMS
Frequency Response: 25Hz - 800Hz
Efficiency: 92.5 dB
EPDM Rubber Surround
Molded, Texture Injected Poly Cone
2” 4-Layer ASV Voice Coil
Dual 4 Ohm
2 or 8 Ohm Operation
Mounting Dimensions: Depth; 4 3/4” Hole; 9” Diameter; 10 1/4”
MULT-CONNECT Lug Lock Terminals
PATENT PENDING

in the pic below is the sub, it show that it has a toal of 4 terminal 2 on each side, i was told to just leave half empty, i was confused because i thought you couldnt leave any spots empty, i think im right now.