PDA

View Full Version : no insurance and no plates

Clay_trainor
04-21-2004, 11:46 AM
I live in Canada and i was wondering if anyone here could help me, so if you know the highway traffic act, or have been in this situation before pleeeeeeease help.

The other day me and some friends were riding my mini bike (70cc) very small... and it was on my almost abandoned back road, and a cop came by and warned my friend that u can't drive it on the road without insurance. we left the bike alone for a bout a half hour, then i decided i was going to put it away, and i thought there was no harm in going for one more ride (idiotic i know) and sure enought the cop came by at that exact time. He charged me for having no plates, and said that he didn't have the proper tickets to charge me for no insurance,b ut he gave me his card, and says he wants to talk to me and my parents on monday, so i have to call him. What i was wondering is, is it possible to for him to charge me with no insurance a week after the incident happened? I was thinkigna bout not telling my parents and it will all be forgotten.

Oh and he didn't take away my bike, if that matters.

Weapon_R
04-21-2004, 11:48 AM
He can charge you after the fact. Tell your parents, and go down with them. He seems like a reasonable cop, probably just wants to give you a lesson on road etiquette.

JAYMEZ
04-21-2004, 11:49 AM
Just follow what he said , he probably will just give you a warning about it.

Clay_trainor
04-21-2004, 11:52 AM
ok thanks guys

C4S
04-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Actually .. you were so lucky !

Few yr ago, I sold the winter car that I was driving, and then just put the plate from that car, back to my summer car which was stored during the winter, but I didn't transfer the plate and the insurance yet, since I thought I got 14 days to do so .... and somehow, a police stopped me for insurance etc (can't remember ! ) .. and I showed her the reg and insurance from my previous car .. and she ended up charge me without insurance and with out reg on car ... so .. my car was towed, and then I went to court, and got a $2,500 + ticket ! and also, that totally scratched my driving record !!! :( :(

Clay_trainor
04-21-2004, 12:14 PM
wow man that really sucks! do you guys think he'll end up charging me? cause he told me that he wants to discuss the no insurance with my parents and said that hte only reason he didn't charge me there was because he didnt' have the proper tickets on him

Gonthro
04-21-2004, 12:37 PM
either way he will find you and your parents so you may as well go and take what he gives ya.

and if he does charge you just goto the CP and tell them yer story and they will likely lower it

Clay_trainor
04-21-2004, 12:57 PM
but what is your best guess? do you think he will?

Gonthro
04-21-2004, 12:58 PM
my guess is he just wants to scare you... i dont think he will charge you, and like i said, if he does im sure the cp will lower it.

but he will find you either way, so you may as well just go willingly, he wont be nearly as nice if he has to come looking for you

ryder_23
04-21-2004, 01:00 PM
^
i've seen the CP lower a no insurance ticket...it was 2500$...thats the one ticket they dont joke around with...i'm sure you wont get that with ur bike, i know for trial riding, the wardens give tickets for around 300$ for no insurance/registration i believe, but since you were on the road, might be worst.

R-Audi
04-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Is your "almost abandoned" back road a public road? If it is private property, you would be able to get away with it, but still hope the cop is having a good day.

Clay_trainor
04-21-2004, 01:20 PM
the road is public, but hardly used

Clay_trainor
04-21-2004, 01:25 PM
'im only 18 years old too, so i can only hope the cop will be leniant

ryder_23
04-21-2004, 01:26 PM
if your 18....why he wants your parents?

Clay_trainor
04-21-2004, 01:38 PM
i'm from canada, you're not a legal adult until you are 19, and unfortunately i turn 19 2morrow? :( i was caught at 18

Gonthro
04-21-2004, 01:43 PM
we are in alberta, the legal here is 18 (we assumed you were form here as well), you must be in bc or ontario....

Clay_trainor
04-21-2004, 01:48 PM
oh sorry, ya i'm from ontario

Clay_trainor
04-21-2004, 02:33 PM
i'm not telling my dad only my mom, so he better not fine me or im' screwed

GTS Jeff
04-21-2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Clay_trainor
i'm not telling my dad only my mom, so he better not fine me or im' screwed are u scared theyll beat u or what? ure 18 man, go tell them ya big baby.

anyway, worrying about this shit wont change anything, so just tell your folks so they can help u as much as possible when they talk to the cops.

hjr
04-21-2004, 05:45 PM
totally, unless they will beat you (in which case you should leave the house) you should tell them. The cop is being sooooo considerate its not even funny. Dont piss him off by pussying out of telling your parents (seriously, your not 14 anymore). Dont do anything to screw up the chance he is giving you. The cop is in the power position and has seen fit to not ticket you on the spot which may indicate that he wont anyways. I cannot even get across how silly it is to be afraid to tell your parents about something like this. They may not want to help you, but at least the cop wont be anoyed with you kindergarden ass.

Clay_trainor
04-21-2004, 08:09 PM
geez harsh words, i actually wouldn't mind keepign the roof over my head, which is why i wont' tell my dad. But ya, the only reason he didn't fine me on the spot is cause he said he didn't have the right tickets

traptor
04-23-2004, 04:40 PM
Ok man first of all if your 19 your a legal adult in Onatrio.... you have the right to vote/enter into a legal contract and gamble... you just cant drink or buy smokes till 19 ... so technically the police officer is not 'legally' allowed to tell your parents and must have your concent....however the cop seems to be a nice guy so why dont you just bite the bullet and thell them.. no use no doing exactly what the cop says ...just lead to trouble... secondly.... wiht your dad, do you pay your own insurance?.. if not Im sure your dad will likely notice the raise in insurance for you.... just go and tell him.... tell him exactly what happened...

fast95pony
04-24-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by traptor
Ok man first of all if your 19 your a legal adult in Onatrio.... you have the right to vote/enter into a legal contract and gamble... you just cant drink or buy smokes till 19 ...

He's already said he's 18....:rolleyes:

Grow some balls and tell your Dad. I'm sure he won't be overjoyed,but he will probably understand. Being honest with your parents might help you . If the cop finds out you didn't tell them , he might want to teach you a lesson.

Be glad you're 18 . If you were older , the cop might be even harder on you.

WGR4Pussies
04-26-2004, 01:15 AM
lol, I've been caught so many times by the police riding my dirtbike on puplic roads, this one time I was riding, got caught, said i would stop, got caught again, said i would stop, then got caught AGAIN by the same officer, lol, He took my information and tried to call my parents (they didn't answer, don't know why lol) so then he watched me push my bike home, and said he was gona mail me a no insurance/regulation ticket. Ihaven't got one and it's been almost 3 months, lol.

Also my friend got caught driving his CRX with no insurance, no registration, and stolen plates, doing 100 is a 60 zone. he got a bunch of tickets, lol. The police officer called him awhile later and said that he "lost" 2 of the tickets (no insurance/registration) and that these tickets "no longer exist" and that "this phone call never happened" lol, any way he only ended up paying the stolen plate one.

yeah, any way we were both 16, so i'm pretty sure our age had something to do with it.

lam-boy
04-26-2004, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by WGR4Pussies
lol, I've been caught so many times by the police riding my dirtbike on puplic roads, this one time I was riding, got caught, said i would stop, got caught again, said i would stop, then got caught AGAIN by the same officer, lol, He took my information and tried to call my parents (they didn't answer, don't know why lol) so then he watched me push my bike home, and said he was gona mail me a no insurance/regulation ticket. Ihaven't got one and it's been almost 3 months, lol.

Also my friend got caught driving his CRX with no insurance, no registration, and stolen plates, doing 100 is a 60 zone. he got a bunch of tickets, lol. The police officer called him awhile later and said that he "lost" 2 of the tickets (no insurance/registration) and that these tickets "no longer exist" and that "this phone call never happened" lol, any way he only ended up paying the stolen plate one.

yeah, any way we were both 16, so i'm pretty sure our age had something to do with it.

and people wonder why teenages get stereotyped.:rolleyes:

Orbie
04-26-2004, 11:59 AM
I don't know what your parents are like man, but it sounds like a pretty easy decision...tell your parents! It's one thing if your afraid they'll disown you or beat you. But if your just afraid they'll be mad, just take it...if anything this is supposed to teach you something of responsibility!

I don't mean to be harsh, but life isn't just roses and picket fences. The cop is quite obviously going out of his way to give you a break, if anything he'll just talk to your parents to make sure they know what you'd been up to. That in his eyes, is probably punishment enough. Judging by the way your acting, I'm thinking he was right in thinking this. Sometimes the only way to learn a lesson is to go through it yourself...this appears to be one of those times. Good luck man, I'm sure it will be fine.

And also to whomever posted this...thank your friend for raising my insurance rates and those of every other 16-24 driver out there.

WGR4Pussies
04-26-2004, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Orbie

And also to whomever posted this...thank your friend for raising my insurance rates and those of every other 16-24 driver out there.

how did driving with no insurance raise your fucking insurance rates, WTF?

have you ever been in an accident? just a question.

Orbie
04-26-2004, 01:05 PM

how did driving with no insurance raise your fucking insurance rates, WTF?

have you ever been in an accident? just a question.

It is an indirect tie in to the stereotypes of teenagers and young drivers (18-24). We're all complaining about how high our insurance rates are, when the insurance companies are trying to compensate for immature, dangerous behaviour by this age group. I'd like to say their wrong, but then by reading things like this, it's hard for me to say insurance companies are unjustified.

Yep, I've been rear-ended by some knob sleeping at a yield.

WGR4Pussies
04-26-2004, 02:16 PM
he never had insurance so how can that affect insurance companies, the only thing that affects insurance companies is when they pay out.

Gonthro
04-26-2004, 02:24 PM
he never had insurance so how can that affect insurance companies, the only thing that affects insurance companies is when they pay out.

it gives insurance companies a reason to stereotype people in this bracket and charge them stupid rates... he just added to the statistics in thier favor!

hjr
04-26-2004, 06:35 PM
he never had insurance so how can that affect insurance companies, the only thing that affects insurance companies is when they pay out. but your douch bag of a friend was going 100 in a 60. Young driver acting dumb. Hmmm, yup, perpetuating the stereotype. :thumbsup: to that.

Orbie
04-26-2004, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by hjr
but your douch bag of a friend was going 100 in a 60. Young driver acting dumb. Hmmm, yup, perpetuating the stereotype. :thumbsup: to that.

Thanks guys for explaining my point, I wasn't sure how to go about explaining it further.

flyboy9000
04-27-2004, 02:25 PM
The cop is just trying to scare you. Don't bother telling your parents.

WGR4Pussies
04-27-2004, 03:43 PM
lol, like I said, the only thing that affects premiums, is how much insurance companies pay out. the way they determine the risk of paying out, is by statistics, Statistics show that people 16-24 get into more accidents, and cost the insurance companies more money, thus they charge people 16-24 more money for coverage.
also, on a individual basis, they calculate risk of paying out by your drving record ie: speeding tickets, accidents, etc.

BUT, FUCKING SPEEDING, GETTING CAUGHT, PAYING A TICKET, IN NO FUCKING WAY AFFECTS OTHER PEOPLES FUCKING PREMIUMS. YES, YOUNG PEOPLE ARE MORE LIKELY TO GET INTO ACCIDENTS, BUT THE INSURANCE COMPANY DOESN'T PAY OUT FOR A SPEEDING TICKET, SO THE PREMIUMS DON'T GO UP FOR EVERYONE. HELLO?

:thumbsdow

but seriously, my friend is a douche bag.:whipped:

3G
04-27-2004, 04:42 PM
BUT, FUCKING SPEEDING, GETTING CAUGHT, PAYING A TICKET, IN NO FUCKING WAY AFFECTS OTHER PEOPLES FUCKING PREMIUMS. YES, YOUNG PEOPLE ARE MORE LIKELY TO GET INTO ACCIDENTS, BUT THE INSURANCE COMPANY DOESN'T PAY OUT FOR A SPEEDING TICKET, SO THE PREMIUMS DON'T GO UP FOR EVERYONE. HELLO?

When you get a speeding ticket, do you not get demerits? Do demerits not raise your insurance rate? How about driving without insurance, that goes on his record too, So they got another teenager speeding, again a statistic in THEIR favour.

WGR4Pussies
04-27-2004, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Mx6GtTurbo

When you get a speeding ticket, do you not get demerits? Do demerits not raise your insurance rate? How about driving without insurance, that goes on his record too, So they got another teenager speeding, again a statistic in THEIR favour.

lol,:dunno: i don't get what your saying, your wrong, i'm not gona tell you why, cause it's not worth my time, it seems so easy to me, I sorry that all you wana do is argue:thumbsup:

rice_eater
05-01-2004, 06:49 PM

lol,:dunno: i don't get what your saying, your wrong, i'm not gona tell you why, cause it's not worth my time, it seems so easy to me, I sorry that all you wana do is argue:thumbsup:
use your head dude... why do teenagers pay more for insurance? Coz we are deemed a high risk to other motorists. Why are they deemed to be a risk? Because of statistics. What do they use for these statistics? Driving records! So YES he is right and i dont know what you're smoking but it's time you woke up to reality. Want more proof? In case you haven't noticed insurances go up with speeding tickets. So i ask, what does the insurance company pay out when you get a speeding ticket :thumbsdow :thumbsdow :thumbsdow