PDA

View Full Version : Where should I get my alarm?

KEL
04-21-2004, 06:08 PM
I recently dropped a few more dollars (thousands of them) into my car and I think it is time to upgrade my alarm from the Quinn security one I have right now. I want a very comrehensive alarm, with sensors for doors, hood, hatch, and ignition kill. Just looking for advice on brands and where to get it installed.

dj_rice
04-21-2004, 08:46 PM
I say Compustar 2way ....and go to Alarmtec to get it done, pay cash and u will get a deal

JordanLotoski
04-21-2004, 08:50 PM
i say keep the one u have..i had like 17k in modds in my old civic and i had a 129.99 viper alarm...never had a prob, and if i did...i had insuramnce...i think a high tech alarm is a waste of money

KEL
04-21-2004, 09:01 PM
The Quinn alarm doesn't seem to work all that well. I had my car broken into and the alarm didn't even go off and that resulted in $1200 damage to the ignition lock and steering column.

JordanLotoski
04-21-2004, 09:04 PM
yeah well quinn blows..just get an el cheapo viper....

Hash_man
04-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Quinn blows, head up to Audio Concepts Mobile on 32nd ave NE. Look in to a 2-way compustar, it should do everything you want.

dj_rice
04-25-2004, 02:31 AM
Alarmtec can get u the newest edition of the Compustar 2 way remote start/alarm with keyless, and starter kill for like $550 and pay cash...the guy will give u a better price

Weapon_R
04-25-2004, 04:43 AM
Your install blows, not the alarm. Most good installers can make an average alarm perform great. Find an installer who will ensure that triggers are set for open doors, hood, and trunk. I don't think that Quinn did this unless you paid for it. Add a proximity sensor or glass sensor and you will have spent a lot less than what you'd pay for an entire new alarm.

frostiex7303
04-26-2004, 05:51 PM
I went to alarmtec today and got a really good deal, $499 all inclusive (compustar). I just got it installed in under 2 hours and it is working great!!

bighead2267
05-01-2004, 01:39 AM
alarmtec........huh? i've too much bad experience with them or i heard from my friend...........the final comment is they don't know what they are doing? the only attraction is just price. if that is the case, i heard alot of guys charge much cheaper than that......or even look for 12V if he still doing it on the side......hope this help.

my last advise, if u really wanna go alarmtec to get your work done. NEVER let a guy call henry to touch your car. he is useless. i've no idea why he can still survive in this industry. the work he done is worse than a trainee. i'm not sure he is color blind or what. he can hook up(i should say mess up)my bro's car incorrectly. after a day he try to rip my bro off to charge him extra b'coz he said my bro didn't request to hook up the amp to the speaker(during that time, the car have no sub, so i've no idea to install an amp can connect to where besides the speaker)
i've few friend's car install by him(it's few years back), the starter blow b'coz the car start and the starter keep grindling till it blows......what a stupid installer.........

bighead2267
05-01-2004, 01:41 AM
remember never ever consider let alarmtec ppl to touch your car. if u want reasonable price, u can try at grand auto(forgot their name) at 32Ave NE macall lake(not sure spelling)and looking for Ringo.....at least he do more proper installation as i heard........good luck guys:nut:

dj_rice
05-02-2004, 01:37 AM
Yeah I went to Grand Audio....and talked to Ringo, $550 was his price with just power door locks and u still need to add GST...

But mehhh if u have money go to the big name stores, if u dont, go to wherever u can get a bargain and I dunno if alarmtec is bad or not..all my experiences and installs have been awesome so sucks for u bighead

dj_rice
05-02-2004, 01:38 AM
But all the places have warrantys and such so no worries

frostiex7303
05-03-2004, 07:47 AM
I went to alarmtec and grand audio for quote.
The reason I went with alarmtec was because the guy at grand audio, just seems like he is hiding something from me and I wasn't sure what it was, but on the other hand, the guy at alarmtech explaned to me all the options and details of each alarm they have that suited my needs. (plus they are about 100 cheaper and they installed all my options for me inclusive of my $499)

bighead2267
05-03-2004, 03:40 PM
DJ-rice.....i've to let u know one things. about the warranty, if the installer didn't do a proper job for your remote starter and your starter blown, even it's a new car just out of the lot, the car manufacture or dealership is not gonna cover your ass. the worse thing is the installer is not gonna play for your starter. i assume the warranty u talk about is just whatever your alarm or remote starter is not working, they will fix the unit, but not the component of the car.
i guess ppl always go wherever u feel comfortable to deal with.....personally, most of my friends even myself or ppl that i know have too much bad experience with them may be they've all improved and change now, but i won't go there and take that chance again......
for me, it's not all about the price. just like u buy a Honda now....they are japanese car, but made in US. that's why they've alot of problem like recall etc.......plus they body work(finishing) and paint job is really bad. that's the reason alot of ppl stay away from Honda now. just my 2 cents tho...

dj_rice
05-03-2004, 05:03 PM
Yeah I agree with Frostiex...I went to Grand Audio too and it was kinda weird like he was hiding something too, and then when he quoted my price..he kinda took awhile and thought about it too...

But meh, wherever someone wants to go is I guess their choice..I'm just giving them options of cheap prices..and I know cheaper isnt always better but I trust Alarmtec cuz of all my good experiences with them and I prefer a shop that specializes in doing alarm installs like Quincys and others...instead of Future Shop and such...

And thanx for the info bighead..I didnt know about the warranty thing....so hmmm maybe I wont install a remote starter now lol kidding

frostiex7303
05-03-2004, 06:14 PM
I saw on A&B's flyer today they are selling the compustar there for 397 installed!!

dj_rice
05-03-2004, 08:44 PM
^^ hahaha

I know I saw it too, but with all the other extras like keyless and starter kill, its gonna be the same price u paid..

Maybe I"m gonna go back to alarmtec and be like..well A&B is sellin for 397..and see if he'll give me a better price lol cuz he said he will meet or beat competitors prices

12V
06-20-2004, 10:42 PM
I can help you guys out, pm me if interested and I will send you my number,

Jeff

Ryan@DerdallDesigns
07-02-2004, 09:21 PM

12V
07-03-2004, 05:34 PM
^
Ouch, Sounds like you where one one of his installers?

Jlui
07-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by instal22
as far as advice goes on getting an alarm in calgary, i strongly suggest never to go to quinn security. the owner Dan Friesen is a stingy cheap bastard. the employees he hires have absolutly no experience. he hires them and pays six dollars an hour, they leave after a month of f- ing around and breaking stuff on peoples cars. the alarms are crap that he buys from some blackmarket no name down in some warehouse in calif. he WILL RIP YOU OFF by selling you this cheap crap thats not even worthy of being called a knock off. he pays maybe 15 bucks for his famous "pro 300" alarm and gives them away to everbody who puts their name in his special draw box at all the car shows. you may think your getting this awesome free alarm but if you go in to claim it you will get extemely raped! trust me everybody your gonna end up paying at least 100 dollars min. for install to get a measly 15 dollar crap alarm that will do nothing but cause you a hudge hassle guaranteed with in the first week. trust me ive seen the ins and outs of this company for too long. he just lost his'' best installer'', aka his latest monthly 6 dollar an hour no experience high school dropout drunk.

Thanks for the Advice. I won one of those "Pro 300" alarms an was considering going to claim it. Now I guess that won't happen.

That.Guy.S30
07-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by frostiex7303
I went to alarmtec today and got a really good deal, $499 all inclusive (compustar). I just got it installed in under 2 hours and it is working great!!

dude if he did it for under 2 hours i would bring it back. any installer will tell you that to install a alarm/starter properly it should take over two hours and maybe more like half a day.

dj_rice
07-14-2004, 06:34 PM
^^

Yeah I agree...I got mine done at Alarmtec too but mine was like...5 hours almost...for Compustar alarm/starter

pho
08-09-2004, 11:31 AM
I got my car starter at Quinn's Security in Edmonton and I think it's a rip off. I paid like $500 for this PL-7000TW 2 way pager car starter two years ago and now I am thinking about getting rid of it and get that Compustar 2 way alarm/starter for almost the same price. I did have a few problems with it though like sometimes the car starter won't work even when I'm like 2 feet away from my car. I even tested out to see if my pager will page me back by triggering my alarm but nothing. I'm not even too sure if I this option was even installed with the starter. But it should if I'm paying $500, right? With the high percentage of car thefts in Edmonton nowadays, I am really considering this Compustar.

eblend
08-11-2004, 06:42 PM
i can get a nice mannix 2 way fm alarm for $250 and install it all into your ride for under 500 bucks, hell if your car doesn't need a factory bypass, 400 dollars installed, cehck out this alarm, got it in my ride and in my friends civic

http://www.mannixusa.com/PRODUCT.HTM

check em out

silvercivicsir
08-23-2004, 08:11 PM
for 500 bucks i'm rather get the Compustar instead of the mannix. looks like it's a cheapo brando that you can buy on ebay for like 100 bucks.. Kinda looks like a Magicar ?? and those are crap.....

if your going to spend 500 Get either a compustar or Viper 791xv all the others are crap imo..

rvd
08-25-2004, 11:30 AM
Which one ?

Sidewinder remote starter from Mobile Sounds $200

or

Compustar 1WFM Series remote starter from audio concepts mobile $328

eblend
08-25-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by silvercivicsir
for 500 bucks i'm rather get the Compustar instead of the mannix. looks like it's a cheapo brando that you can buy on ebay for like 100 bucks.. Kinda looks like a Magicar ?? and those are crap.....

if your going to spend 500 Get either a compustar or Viper 791xv all the others are crap imo..

well its cheap yah i agree, it is like 125 plus shipping on ebay, about 235 bucks when include all customs and shit, but to tell you the truth its not a cheapo alarm, its a really nice one. i ordered a cheapo alarm off ebay before and i still have that peice of junk, but this one is awsome

i know its hard to believe someone until you see it, but hey, i don't give a rats ass who gets what, i just saying that its a nice alternative if you don't want to pay out of the ass for a overhyped compustar

i've done a few compustar installs myself and at the end of the day, why pay more for basicly the same thing. Hell from the looks of it this thing actually has more features then a compustar as it is

Tony2
08-25-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by eblend

overhyped compustar

You suppose they got the brand recognition that they have at this day and age because they are flogging their garbage on eBay? In this world most of the time you do get what you pay for.

i've done a few compustar installs myself

This makes you a pro on starters? Furthermore what happens when one of your buddies / customers cars has an electrical problem and they take it for Warranty work to find out it has been voided due to a backyard remote start install? Who do they turn to for recourse then? There is a reason more and more installers are or are becoming certified and have formal training to deal with today’s complex cars.

why pay more for basicly the same thing

Why buy a Porsche when a Fiero is basically the same thing? Once again most of the time you get what you pay for.

To the original poster in this thread you can not go wrong with a Compustar providing you have it professionally installed! There are quite a few reputable dealers in Calgary I suggest you talk to you a few and go from there..............and remember the best price is not necessarily always the best deal!! Go somewhere that you feel is going to be in business for a while to come and is willing to take care of you if there are any problems 1 2 or 3 years down the road if need be.

Tony

Ben
08-25-2004, 09:24 PM
Ancient thread, but Audioconcepts carries and installs Compustar and they rule!

Amnesia
08-26-2004, 05:07 AM
how old are all you guys!? £17k in mods!! OUCH!!!
lOl!

chibi_chas
08-26-2004, 07:30 AM
compustar 2 way will probably be your best bet

bmw4226
08-26-2004, 11:22 AM
A salesman at Calgary BMW recently steered me towards Derdall Designs, a company that does their alarm and starter installations. I have had bad experences before and was very nervous about letting anyone touch the electrical system in my new car, but I was very impressed with the staff and the installation I received from them. They took the time to explain the different systems and what all the options ment. I ended up getting a 2 way compustar system. I had a choice of the new red model or the older blue model, but I chose the blue one because they told me it has a higher range for transmitting. I have been to many different shops here in town and I would definatly deal with these guys again. They also gave me a discount for being a beyond.ca member. 403-255-0474. If you want good work done, I recommend checking them out.

dragonone
09-16-2004, 12:45 AM
i got mine at alarmtec
took 4 hours, and i paid $650 for compustar
and this was 2 years ago

look who got jibbed

i would DEFINITELY not recommend it

on the other hand, 12V did an awesome job on my frnd's car right in my friend's garage and only took ... 2 hrs i think
ask him for a great price, definitely under $499

Idratherbsidewayz
09-16-2004, 01:14 AM
Anyone have any experience with Autodream alarm installations?

celica girl
09-16-2004, 09:36 AM
I just got my compustar at Derdall Designs... they are AWESOME... great customer service and great prices too!

Probably the cleanest alarm install I have ever seen...

255-0474

Offlander
09-20-2004, 01:30 PM
Damnit, I was stupid enough to purchase a magicar two way with starter for $200CAD and it seems that they those things have a problem with tedecting tach signal and continue to crank the engine even after it started. Fortunately, there is a solution: get a tach signal amplifier then it works fine, but it takes forever to install and distributors do not mention this problem at the time of sale. I guees I just wanted to spread the message whatever you do, do not get magicar with remote start...'tis plain crap. :banghead:

Schwa
09-23-2008, 04:55 PM
Bumping an old thread here.

From this and some other searches it seems like Autotemp, Alarmtec, and Derdall Designs are some of the choice places to go.

Can anyone help with more information?

Specifically, I'm not looking for a cookie cutter install where they just tuck the brain underneath the dash.

Would like something a little more custom with some bells and whistles such as a backup battery, glass sensor, etc.

Also I'd like a shop with low turnover. I'm wary of installers who may give my information or installation setup to their illegitimate friends.

Thanks for any help and feel free to PM me the information, greatly appreciated.

riced
09-23-2008, 05:08 PM
Alarmtec has been around for years, 10 years at least.

Henry and Sydney have been working as a team since the beginning and my family has gone to them as well as myself and I get nothing but good service from them.

As far as how Henry performs, I'm not sure of, but Sydney knows his shit. If you got problems, bring it back and they'll fix it for you. Of the many places I asked to install HID's, alarmtec was the only place that could do it and allow me to keep my DRLs/High beams.. every other place said it would have to be disabled and the HID's kept on at all times.

Alarmtec +1 for me

ernie88
12-12-2008, 09:32 PM
so is alarmtec good or bad? Seems they have mixed reviews

dj_rice
12-12-2008, 09:37 PM
Alarmtec is good, ask for Sydney to install it for u

ernie88
12-12-2008, 10:02 PM
alright, i read someone posted earlier that Henry did a bad job....is he still around there?

I got an appointment tomorrow....but we'll see if i make it there....i doubt the city will plow the streets

Boostn
12-12-2008, 11:45 PM
I had a Compustar alarm/starter installed by Sydney at Alarmtec a couple of years ago. He did a good job and I haven't experienced any problems thus far so my vote goes to them as well.

12-12-2008, 11:57 PM
I have never heard of alarmtec, where are these guys located?

do they have a website?

SportEL
12-13-2008, 12:20 AM
I had Alarmtec install mine last November Compustar 2way Alarm/Starter. It still works problem-free so I'd say they did a good job.

They're located behind T&T Honda and a bit further down south basically.

dj_rice
12-13-2008, 12:21 AM
111-700 Moraine Rd NE

brownboi
12-13-2008, 12:22 AM
my buddie dose alarm/starter installs
pretty cheap price an dose a reall good job

403-612-7333 call him an tell him justin gave u his number

dj_rice
12-13-2008, 12:29 AM
dose he reall?ok i call him an set i up

ernie88
12-13-2008, 12:33 PM
well i went there this morning....and the whole back alley to his shop had about a 1.5ft of snow...

i guess i'll have to go back another time

syndey was a great guy...didnt pressure me to wait or anything while he cleared the snow.

Jenma
12-17-2008, 10:28 PM
You may try Commando. They have some good stuff there. I just dunno about their price range now. :D

rockanrepublic
12-17-2008, 10:51 PM
hey just wondering if anyone know how much an alarm system drops your insurance by beacuse i always see the question when getting quotes

Civicnati0n
12-20-2008, 10:49 PM
Anyone have experience with AutoTemp? Trying to decide between them or Alarmtec for a civic alarm install.

dj_rice
12-20-2008, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by Civicnati0n
Anyone have experience with AutoTemp? Trying to decide between them or Alarmtec for a civic alarm install.

AutoTemp will be much more expensive but I'm sure the quality will be the same as Alarmtec's so your good on both places