PDA

View Full Version : Mazdaspeed Miata

JCX
04-21-2004, 08:04 PM
I saw one today. I was leaving the Talisman Centre this evening and I saw a Miata beside an MR2. The MR2 was that Chameleon paint or whatever the hell you call the color changing stuff.

Anyways, the Miata was red with large wheels. As I walked by I noticed the Mazdaspeed logo. Sure enough there was a little baby intercoiler peeking through the front end. I was surprised how small it was... looked maybe 8" X 8". Not a bad looking car, but the wheels look a bit out of place. I think it just needs to be lowered maybe a bit. It'll be interesting to see how tunable these are. Anybody know the $$ in Canada.

Sorry no pics, I don't own a camera. :(

Keep your eyes peeled!

Impreza
04-21-2004, 08:12 PM
i think they are about $37k off the lot......

not 100% sure tho

XylathaneGTR
04-21-2004, 11:40 PM
Yeah, i read 2 previews/reviews on it, and it seemed pretty nice...About time i say.
i think its putting out in the neighbourhood of 170's (173 horses comes to mind...)
Should be pretty tuneable, It'l be interesting to see what comes of it in the next few months
Mazda.ca says MSRP of 34,395, so 37-38,000 sounds about right

I say :thumbsup:

cocoabrova
04-22-2004, 10:06 PM
$38,500......Good potential, but also setup well in stock form. The turbo was developed in-house, and Mazda did alot better job with the setup, than Callaway's system on the MSP.

vanguard
05-14-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by JCX
I saw one today. I was leaving the Talisman Centre this evening and I saw a Miata beside an MR2. The MR2 was that Chameleon paint or whatever the hell you call the color changing stuff.

Anyways, the Miata was red with large wheels. As I walked by I noticed the Mazdaspeed logo. Sure enough there was a little baby intercoiler peeking through the front end. I was surprised how small it was... looked maybe 8" X 8". Not a bad looking car, but the wheels look a bit out of place. I think it just needs to be lowered maybe a bit. It'll be interesting to see how tunable these are. Anybody know the $$ in Canada.

Sorry no pics, I don't own a camera. :(

Keep your eyes peeled!

That was most likely my car. I was down there today.
The intercooler is quite thick. I understand Mazda was concerned that a larger one might cause over-heating issues in hot climates.

I understand the factory setup should be good for around 230 Hp with out mods (Sports Car International Magazine, July 04 issue). Anyways with the 178 HP and 166 lbs this thing is plenty fast.

Flying Miata is currently working on a high cap intercooler.

BTW, as for price, I paid 36,800 on the road from North Hill Mazda.

I have some info at my site http://68.146.81.130

Cheers.

JordanLotoski
05-14-2004, 11:22 PM
37k for a maita???.

Benny
05-15-2004, 12:34 AM
Not really wonderful in my opinion.
Just cram one of those 5.0L Mustang engines in a Miata.
Cheap performance for a hell of a lot less than one of the Mazdaspeed ones.

vanguard
05-15-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Benny
Not really wonderful in my opinion.
Just cram one of those 5.0L Mustang engines in a Miata.
Cheap performance for a hell of a lot less than one of the Mazdaspeed ones.

The Mazdaspeed MX-5 is much more than just a pumped engine. The suspension setup somthing else. The drive line has been reworked as has the 6 speed gearbox.

There are a couple of issues with a 5 liter in a Miata, least of which is having to stop for gas every hour (the Miata fuel tank is rather small).

There are a few drivers that have been a liitle shocked at stoplights here in Calgary.

178 HP + 166 ft/Lbs + 2435 Lbs = fast. Now crank the boost and were talking real fast!.

Cheers
http://68.146.81.130

Scat
05-15-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by Impreza
i think they are about $37k off the lot......

not 100% sure tho

Originally posted by MIWYFSHOT
37k for a maita???.

It might seem a little expensive, but when you compare it to something like the Celica GT-S which is high $30k's, the Mazdaspeed Miata is a bargain. Unlike the Celica, you get a turbo, convertible, and a rear drive platform. No back seats tho, but who the hell cares.

lam-boy
05-16-2004, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Scat

It might seem a little expensive, but when you compare it to something like the Celica GT-S which is high $30k's, the Mazdaspeed Miata is a bargain. Unlike the Celica, you get a turbo, convertible, and a rear drive platform. No back seats tho, but who the hell cares.

the fagorts who don't have a car cares haha "yoo man how you suppose to give me a ride"
"man shut the fuck up!"

i'd love to have a 2 seater. one for me and whoever or whatever i want. "yo can you drive me home?"
"sorry, i need room for my wallet"

Kor
05-16-2004, 01:50 AM
Its a pretty cool car, but this is one of those scenarios where I would be looking at a couple year old S2000 rather than a new Mazda... Only problem I have with the Miata is that I don't fit in it very well. Small car.

BigMass
05-16-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Kor
Its a pretty cool car, but this is one of those scenarios where I would be looking at a couple year old S2000 rather than a new Mazda... Only problem I have with the Miata is that I don't fit in it very well. Small car.

my friend is 6'-3" 250lbs and loves his miata on and off the track. How much bigger are you?

Master D. Bater
05-17-2004, 02:12 AM
That car is awsome! They have one on display at one of the malls in the northeast. The intercooler is a tiny little guy. I first thought that it was an oil cooler or something! I like the wheels though, those are racing harts I believe and I think that they are 17". I would much rather have that car than a celica GTS...then again, I'd much rather have a celica GTS than a K car! Oh well.

ninjak84
05-17-2004, 02:26 AM
those are pretty cool
almost at s2k level for me. maybe even better to some.

Redlyne_mr2
05-17-2004, 02:58 AM
The new miatas dont have the same gay factor that the earlier ones had. Personally Id take a mazdaspeed miata over an rx8 anyday. Its light, turbo, rwd , the convertible is the only thing I dont like about it but thats what hardtops removable roofs are for

CKY
05-18-2004, 12:26 AM
i think they look great, a tiny bit over its price range maybe but i'd definetly choose this over a few year old s2000