PDA

View Full Version : Restoration

Drift Master
04-22-2004, 03:21 PM
How much does it usually cost and how long does it take to restore an old car in decent shape? (eg. engine work, body work, paint, chassis work, etc... Or would you have to see the car to know?)

I have taken an interest to the Datsun 280Z, and I've seen pics and vids of some really nice ones.

I'm only 16, turning 17 in a few months but I'd like to know more, partly because I'll probably be getting my G2 at the end of August, possibly earlier. I'm not really serious about buying one at the present moment in time, but I'd like to know prices/availability of parts/time.

Thanks for your help.

hjr
04-22-2004, 05:16 PM
it costs how ever much you are willing to pay. the more your willing to pay the better the resto.

Ducati
04-22-2004, 05:52 PM
I have restored one of the predecessors to that car, a 240Z. It was an easy renovation, as at that time the metal body parts that had to be replaced due to rust were available at the dealership. I believe rust is going to be your biggest obstacle, so check with a Nissan dealership on the costs of the valence (which I believe is 3 peices on that car) front fenders, and then get a quote on the cost of a new set of patch panels for the rear wheel openings, if there are rust spots there.

So, where is the rust? How much is visible, and how much appears underneath on the floors?

Mechanical repairs - costs will be able to be obtained by getting quotes on what you cannot repair yourself.

The difference between a Restoration and a Renovation is that a Restoration involves a body-off full rebuilding of everything, from the suspension, brake lines and components, electrical sorting out and reorganizing the wires from the harness on back, rebuilding the entire driveline, and repairing or replacing all body parts, reupholstering the interior, new fitted carpet, replacing or buffing all glass, disassembling & rebuilding all window winder mechanisms - the list goes on.
Restorations are EXPENSIVE.
I have spent from 1997 until very recently restoring a 1974 Alfa Romeo GTV with the 1750 cc engine, and so far am into it for over $20,000.00
The car is now worth about $15,000 or maybe $16,000.
So, why did I do it? Guess I really thought it was a neat little car.

A renovation is a lot less money. You do not remove the body off the car, however may have to replace a few fenders, or maybe a door or hatchback. Some deteriorated components will have to be rebuilt, such as the engine, transmission, a new rad, new brakes. etc. That is something that can be done to an already driveable car, often as you continue to drive it. My present 1983 Mercedes Turbodiesel sedan is a car that falls into that category. I will probably never fully restore this car, as it is a bland old tank that Mercedes made millions of, and will never be worth anywhere near what a full restoration would cost, however its' maintenance and ongiong revitalization os a never-ending project.
Renovations are far less expensive, and do not usually involve the car being laid up for months or years.

So, know what you are getting into. An estimation of the costs to renovate should be easy to ascertain, but a restoration always involves repairs or replaced parts that were not readilly known at the time you started.

Drift Master
04-22-2004, 06:24 PM
Ah, that explains alot...

I don't have a Datsun, I said that I wanted one, but I wast too sure in what I'd be getting into if I bought one that was in decent shape...

Hmm, now I just have to make up my mind on whether I want to go through a renovation as maybe a project, or if I should just buy some other car that won't be so much work...

Thanks

ninspeed
04-23-2004, 05:16 PM
280 still has quite a few aftermarket body pannels avaiable. You will most likely have to do your rockers, and lower part of your 1/4. i would say 17-25 thousand for a decent one (and thats if you do most of the work your self).
the worst part of this car is it made of ww2 bomers and ships :d... its not a very forgiving car.

I have help a buudy of mine with his 280z, but he speed though ALOT of things and its startting to show up now. (i think he is in for 14k)

Ducati
04-23-2004, 05:30 PM
WWII Bombers and Ships? So that explains the rusting.
Like Fiats - made of Russian steel, and the earliest batch of 123 series Mercedes. Excellent cars, but the bodies rotted off before the drivetrain wore out.
Still, those cars made great ice-racers when I lived in Winnipeg.

Drift Master should look for a good runner in need of some minor work as his first project, so he can drive it while it is a work in progress, and it wont take his every cent and available charge card advances.
Been there - done that. It was bad.

Drift Master
04-23-2004, 06:19 PM
Weel, the one I was looking at was on auto trader

1975 DATSUN 280Z
$1,000
Good body, good engine, 4 spd. trans., needs interior work. Black/black. Asking $1000. 61,000 miles.
And its about a 6 hour drive from my house....

I could go to see it if I wanted to because my uncle goes to that area fairly often, so I could hitch a ride with him. I should give the person a call to find out the condition and if its still drivable.

If this ends up being too much work and such, I'll just import a Silvia 1800cc:D
But then theres money, which I will need, but a job may be coming soon....

yohan4ws
04-23-2004, 07:04 PM
If your 16-17 i'd almost say buy a car .. well . .not almost .. buy a car thats cheap that you won't want ot fix up .. you'll be tempted at walmart and cdn tire for some R style seat covers and minor inexpensive touch ups for it ..

if you get something that has some rust and its gonna b eyour daily ride its a lot of work to keep it from rusting more, especially in our winters ..

Not sure if you are going to be affected by the new driving rules but it might be worth it to get an older beater with a good interior and can drive it til your off probation .. in the meantime save up mad cash, look at lots of cars and get one that you really want ..

its cheaper to splurge when you get a car in good shape than it is to save cash and resto later.

(I know of a shop doing a $100k+ restore job on an old vette.)

Sky's the limit, you can put a mass amount of cash anywhere in a car..

Drift Master
04-23-2004, 07:50 PM
you'll be tempted at walmart and cdn tire for some R style seat covers and minor inexpensive touch ups for it ..

Never....
I went to the car section in Walmart for a laugh.

My bro has an '89 240sx, and I like those, but insurance is another problem. I wouldn't mind driving my dad's '85 626, but it needs an emissions test in June, and it deffinately won't pass without putting a lot of money into the engine...So I guess it would just be best to use the 240 or the Mazda or the van until I get enough cash to buy a monster of my own...

Drift Master
04-25-2004, 11:15 AM
BTW, I forgot to ask about frame conditions, how are they usually for a '75? and Ducati, did you have to do alot of repairs to the frame of your 240z?

hendosa
04-25-2004, 12:50 PM
Dude take it from me, dealing with rust problems on older cars when you are a teenager is not fun:thumbsdow