PDA

View Full Version : Darn Dsm's!!!!!!!!!!!

2literv8eater
04-22-2004, 06:52 PM
i got a differnt cas for my 1992 eagle talon it had weak ass spark than none my car has a 4g63 n/t what should i do next coil? ecu? also need help from my fellow dsmers i noticed a few unpluged wires in the back of the motor bay (a big purpul one and some small square ones) :eek:

WGR4Pussies
04-22-2004, 07:01 PM
hi, take car to mechanic, drugs bad, ok me hungry, bye now.

lol, WTF are you talking about?

boostedDsm
04-22-2004, 07:12 PM
:banghead: You really need to take it to a mecanic

EK 2.0
04-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by boostedDsm
:banghead: You really need to take it to a mecanic

And not your old mechanic either, tell me does the Check Engine light come on??...and have any of the old problems disappeared, or have new ones surfaced...gimmie a lil more info and I will see that comes to mind man...

2literv8eater
04-22-2004, 08:05 PM
ok let me make this easier to understand
after the different cas was installed i got spark but weak and only in certain cyclenders so the ? is could my coil be bad (how can it be tested?) check engine light comes on but dont most cars when you turn the key forward? never have had it started

hjr
04-22-2004, 08:11 PM
coil can be tested by taking the coil large wire between the coil and cap and puting a test light on it. ground the test light and connect it to the wire. get someone to turn the car over and watch for the light to come on. If it doesnt, then the coil is not nessisarily the problem, but you are narrowing it down.

2literv8eater
04-22-2004, 08:15 PM
i think it is one of the following 1. coil 2.wiring 3. ecu

hjr
04-22-2004, 08:17 PM
very unlikely it is the ecu so dont jump on that to quick.

but there are other things it could be like a hall sender, ign modual, or other (im not sure how your ignition works).

Take it to a mechanic. Even I have said "fuck it" and took my car in when i couldnt figure it out.

2literv8eater
04-22-2004, 08:18 PM
oh belive me i dont want to lol

StupidWade
04-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Always start with the spark plugs and spark plug wires. I change mine once a year whether they need it or not. I can't tell you how many times people have had problems with rough idle, power surge, no power and it just turned out to be the wires. Our super hot engine bays ruin spark plug wires fast. In this case, the problem happens even when the car isn't under load (accelerating) so it's likely not the spark plug wires.

If the wires have been taken off for anything lately, make sure they are back on in the correct order. Having two wires swapped on the coil or on the plug terminals will cause a world of trouble.

Then check the coil. I've never had to do that, so you'll have to use hjr's advice on that.

I agree with hjr, the odds are slim that there's any problem with the ECU. Our ECUs are seldom the cause of many problems (well, unless your capacitors are leaking which is a moderately frequent problem on the 1G cars.)

Good luck.

2literv8eater
04-22-2004, 08:48 PM
thanks looks like ill be headen off to auto zone for ngk plugs and wires (current are autolite :barf: )

black_shadow_18
04-22-2004, 09:02 PM
I'd say if you have weak spark it would either be the power transistor or the ignition coil. It wont be the ECU if your getting any sort of spark at all. And I have never taken any of my cars to a mechanic. If I cant figure it out they arent going to do any better.

EK 2.0
04-22-2004, 09:04 PM
Even a really simple thing to look at and it causes a multitude of problems in DSM's the battery terminals, they have to be spotless and clean enough to eat off of, otherwise the cars exhibit a vast array of problems...

2literv8eater
04-22-2004, 09:20 PM
tell me what you think of this to do list and if i need to do anything else
1. ngk plugs and wires
2. clean termanals
3.test coil
4.get a new resistor if coil checks out

EK 2.0
04-22-2004, 09:22 PM
and power transistor...and then your list is set...

2literv8eater
04-22-2004, 09:25 PM
ok thanks thats what i ment lol not resistor

2literv8eater
04-23-2004, 02:48 PM
shit new news my alarm that was on the car was still on this is probley the reason anyone know how to by pass a alarm system? it is a micro alarm (micro is the company name)

StupidWade
04-23-2004, 06:58 PM
On some alarms, if you unplug the negative battery terminal, then put the key in the ignition and turn it forward to start (don't crank it) and then reconnect the battery terminal it will reset the alarm.

2literv8eater
04-23-2004, 07:37 PM
would this stop spark? my guess is yes so tommaro i am going to the bone yard to look over some wiring :thumbsup:

StupidWade
04-23-2004, 07:41 PM
If the starter kill was somehow activated, you couldn't crank it. This is likely not your problem.

Smokinggst
04-23-2004, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by CycloneAWD
Even a really simple thing to look at and it causes a multitude of problems in DSM's the battery terminals, they have to be spotless and clean enough to eat off of, otherwise the cars exhibit a vast array of problems...

I agree with that ... I had a similar problem not quite as sever but none the less turns out it was my terminals.. Good thinking Cyclone:thumbsup:

2literv8eater
04-23-2004, 08:36 PM
so if the alarm box is disconnected it wont effect anything i can crank it over