PDA

View Full Version : Job opportunity in Banff..what would you do?

Seks
04-22-2004, 07:41 PM
I sent in my resume and CL for a vacant position over at Brewster Holidays (http://www.brewster.ca) just for the heck of it 2 weeks ago. This company is located right in Banff.

Suprisingly, I received a call a few minutes ago from one of their personnels (HR I believed?). She asked me a few question and I asked her some too about the job description, expectations, company's profile, etc. I told her that I need some time until tomorrow to think about this before proceeding with allocating an interview time slot for me next week.

I've always thought about getting a job in Banff or Canmore because of the unbeatable scenery, crisp fresh air, and proximity to the mountains and wilderness. Never did I realize that this opportunity would suddenly come knocking on my door.

Seeing that I still live at home with my parents and have never moved out before, what are things to consider, especially moving to Banff?

Renting/housing cost is obviously #1 on the list. I don't know anyone personally in Banff or Canmore so I'd have to rent an apartment.

What would each of you do?

max_boost
04-22-2004, 11:35 PM
Hmmm......can you adapt to the lifestyle change? Although Banff isn't exactly far away, you probably have to make new friends and depending how social you are, can be easy or difficult.

The deciding factor for me would be MONEY $$$. How much is this new job going to pay you:DLiving at home has amazing perks, my family is awesome and I don't have to pay for anything i.e. rent, utilities etc.:D Moving out would not only drive my expenses through the roof, prevents me from saving $$$ for that house I want to buy (no mortgage) hehe

I think for you, depends on your age, where you want to go, and what you want to do. :dunno:

Ben
04-22-2004, 11:56 PM
if you aint making minimum 40k-50k a year and they aint subsidizing your houzing, I'd say screw it. but thats just me...accomodations are stupid expensive in Banff, especially now with the busy season starting.

RickDaTuner
04-23-2004, 12:41 AM
working in banff in canmore isnt so bad, it when you decide to moce out here that is hard on the wallet, Brewsters and pretty much every buisness in Banff and Canmore have housing for thier employes, and if they dont have some then its very easy to find a few people to be room mates with.. mostly every one is out there doing the same thing.

after living in banff for a good 5 years now, i would just warn you about all the encounters that you may have with who ever.
Banff and canmore are the filthiest places in canada, all those rumours you hear about Banff being the #1 STD location in Canada, arent rumours at all.
try and stay away fom the french as much as possible, i dont mean to be rude or racist but they are a unique bread of people, im shur that if you are carefull and arent some ragein alcholic then your tim in banff will be more than pleasent :thumbsup:

infamous
04-23-2004, 12:44 AM
if the pay is good, i would take it. look at worst case scenario, you go out there, you work for a bit, you hate the job, you can always move back...its not like its forever...

xrayvsn
04-23-2004, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by RickDaTuner
after living in banff for a good 5 years now, i would just warn you about all the encounters that you may have with who ever.
Banff and canmore are the filthiest places in canada, all those rumours you hear about Banff being the #1 STD location in Canada, arent rumours at all.

So true, so true. Know someone who works at the medical lab, and every night they get the "STD" run of urethral and gyne swabs from Banff/Canmore. A friend did a locum as a GP out there, and he had to do a lot of STD treatment and counselling.

However, having an opportunity to go work out there would probably be a lot of fun. If you look beyond the rent, you can meet a lot of people, from all over the world. Since you live at home anyway now, why not spend the summer in Banff, make a little money, be independent from your parents. I would go for it.

Try to find some roommates to share the rent. Its all good.

Seks
04-23-2004, 09:22 AM
I have decided to go in for the interview. I called the lady a few minutes ago and it'll be one week from today She asked me if I was sure and that I didn't sound too positive/enthusiastic when she talked to me last nite. I told her again that it is a big step and that perhaps in the interview, it will shed some more light on the company profile itself and what the job will be.

Keep in mind that I'm from Edmonton.

Hmmm......can you adapt to the lifestyle change? Although Banff isn't exactly far away, you probably have to make new friends and depending how social you are, can be easy or difficult.

I'm not too worried about that. I'm sure I can find things to do on my own, whether it'll be hiking, biking, etc. or ripping around the back-country roads in my car :D

I have a friend who relocated to Seattle cuz of the big bucks there. AFAIK, he doesn't go out at all and made little friends; stays home in his apt, read some books. Sleep, wake up, work, come home, sleep, etc. That's pretty much his routine. He is a pretty shy guy though.

The deciding factor for me would be MONEY $$$. How much is this new job going to pay youLiving at home has amazing

I'm well aware of the housing cost in Canmore or Banff. Obviously I gotta factor in that vs what their offer would be, and if there is any relocation or housing allowance.

Lady said that they prefer someone to be living in Canmore or Banff. What I do does requires (once in a while anyhow) someone to be on-call 24/7.

If I do know someone in Canmore or Banff and if I can crash in with them, hell yeah, I'd relocate there in a flash (assuming money is good). But I'm not that lucky

perks, my family is awesome and I don't have to pay for anything i.e. rent, utilities etc. Moving out would not only drive my expenses through the roof, prevents me from saving $$$ for that house I want to buy (no mortgage) hehe

Oh yeah, I pay my parents (help out, etc.). $500/month, not much I guess considering how much it cost to rent an apt in the city.

if you aint making minimum 40k-50k a year and they aint subsidizing your houzing, I'd say screw it. but thats just me...accomodations are stupid expensive in benff, especially now with the busy season starting.

50k/yr is definnitely not sufficient enough if I were to relocate there. Living allowance would be a bonus. Don't know, I'll find that out during the interview?

working in banff in canmore isnt so bad, it when you decide to moce out here that is hard on the wallet, Brewsters and pretty much every buisness in Banff and Canmore have housing for thier employes, and if they dont have some then its very easy to find a few people to be room mates with.. mostly every one is out there doing the same thing.

Not sure. Lady didn't mention anything about housing last nite. I'll find out in the interview I guess.

after living in banff for a good 5 years now, i would just

So you're pretty much settled in...

JAYMEZ
04-23-2004, 09:45 AM
#1 STD location in Canada

Seks
04-23-2004, 03:00 PM
I can't seem to find websites on apts and condos for Banff and Canmore. Where are they? :(