PDA

View Full Version : Quick M question.

RiceCake
10-11-2002, 12:20 AM
I know that we rarely see M series in auto, but are there actually Auto M3's? :confused:

max_boost
10-11-2002, 12:25 AM
SMG?
If it has no clutch, its auto to me

GTS Jeff
10-11-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
SMG?
If it has no clutch, its auto to me smg has a computer controlled clutch :poosie:

RiceCake
10-11-2002, 12:30 AM
I know about the SMGs in the e46s, but what about the e36 m3's?

max_boost
10-11-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Jeff TYPE R
smg has a computer controlled clutch :poosie:

How do you shift? Like the video games? Up and down?

Dude, that's pretty freaking gay if you ask me:poosie:

buh_buh
10-11-2002, 12:51 AM

F1 styles.
with the paddles.

Tux
10-11-2002, 12:55 AM

There's nothing wrong with using the sequential shifters.. heck, F1 and CART cars use the same sequential, paddle-style shfters. Most newer Ferraris have the "F1" package as a popular option.

But I still agree with you to a degree.. there's something about mastering the art of toe and heel, rev-matching, and not having a computer give you a percise, picture perfect shift every time. Just takes all of the fun out of driving a high performance car... ^_^

boi-alien
10-11-2002, 12:55 AM
up on the right down on the left!! hehe

E36M3
10-11-2002, 01:23 AM
The E30 M3 was never available in automatic. The E36 had an automatic option from 1997-1999 I believe. In Europe and some other markets, the E36 was also available with SMG-1 which is paddle shift system with a computer modulated clutch, and not an automatic transmission. The E46 comes in manual 6 speed form and with SMG-2 (similiar but better than the SMG-1 system) forms.

GTS Jeff
10-11-2002, 10:29 AM

Dude, that's pretty freaking gay if you ask me:poosie: no way man, smg is one of the best automatics around.

i think u can shift with the paddles, or use the shifter like a regular manual, or just let it do the shifting for u. it has all sorts of funky stuff, like automatically doubling clutching downshifts, downshifting for turns, and shifting at different speeds depending on you youre driving. theres even a driving program designed to give the perfect launch haha. its hooked up to the traction control so that when ure slipping it releases the clutch..

awesome stuff :hitit:

max_boost
10-11-2002, 10:37 AM
Forgive my ignorance guys, I'm not exactly sure how the SMG works. But if the car was that fast, I don't think it would matter if it was 6 speed or auto:bigpimp:

GTS Jeff
10-11-2002, 12:17 PM
Forgive my ignorance guys, I'm not exactly sure how the SMG works. But if the car was that fast, I don't think it would matter if it was 6 speed or auto:bigpimp: heh smg is just a manual tranny except that hydraulics control the clutch

rage2
10-11-2002, 12:43 PM

Well I guess the F1 race cars are gay. Same goes for Indycars, Rally cars, and even the new Ferrari Enzo which is only available with the Ferrari F1 gearbox system.

Oh, and video games were designed to mimic race cars.

E36M3
10-11-2002, 01:54 PM
Don't forget to call the drivers gay too. Especially Shumy. He sucks.

Originally posted by rage2

Well I guess the F1 race cars are gay. Same goes for Indycars, Rally cars, and even the new Ferrari Enzo which is only available with the Ferrari F1 gearbox system.

Oh, and video games were designed to mimic race cars.

max_boost
10-11-2002, 02:41 PM
Dude, I said forgive my ignorance cause I don't even know how they work:guns:

I thought it was like tiptronic in automatic cars, maybe its more advanced than that:dunno:

E36M3
10-11-2002, 02:47 PM
I'm just giving you a hard time. SMG and other similiar systems (like the Ferrari F1 system) is a sequential manual gearbox. That means it is otherwise identical to a normal manual transmission, except that the clutch is actuated by a computer. The result is that the shifts can happen way faster than what a human is capable of, and are always consistent.

Another great feature of some of the systems is rev matching. When you gear down, for example, the throttle is automatically blipped to the optimal engine speed before the gear engages. It basically makes you a perfect shifter with no effort.

There is definately an argument that it takes the 'fun' out of it.. but to me, it seems like it would be fun as hell to be able to tug a paddle twice to downshift quickly to get your engines revs way up and boost around someone in traffic.

It is a completely different experience than a tiptronic or other automatic transmissions.. makes things interesting.

Dude, I said forgive my ignorance cause I don't even know how they work:guns:

I thought it was like tiptronic in automatic cars, maybe its more advanced than that:dunno: