PDA

View Full Version : rotary clutch

lancer_evo_7
04-23-2004, 06:17 PM
I need to do the clutch on my turbo II. Heres the question, is it true that you need a special tool to get the flywheel off? Has anybody on here found a way around that? Question 2, has anybody had their flywheel resurfaced at your average shop? and if so, were the results bad?

Any info is appreciated, thanks alot.

rx7_turbo2
04-25-2004, 08:16 AM
Ok, getting the flywheel nut off of a rotary motor is a major pain in the ass. The nut is tightened down to a rediculous amount. There is a special tool that bolts to the housing and holds the flywheel while you reef on the nut. You could also use the pressure plate alignment pins, and 1 or 2 pressure plate bolts and a chain and chain the flywheel to the rear housings using a bell housing bolt. Either way you will still need to reef the fuck out of it to get it off. You may find you need an impact gun to do it. It's a big nut as well so you'll need the right socket (can't remember the size). If this is the first time the nut has come off it is going to be that much harder.

To be honest most of us don't bother machining the flywheel during a clutch job because of the difficulty involved. The best time to do it is when the motor is out of the car for a rebuild and the flywheel has to come off to disassymble the motor anyways. I would say that unless the flywheel is totaly hooped, to just replace pressure plate, clutch disc, throwout, and pilot bearing's, and leave the flywheel alone. While your at it you might want to replace the rear main seal on the motor, and the tranny seal. It's alot easier to do it when it's all down.

It's not a bad job. Most of the work is removing the exhuast and drive shaft, oh and heat shields. Chris Ng and I had to drop his tranny a few times a couple summers ago ( major clutch problems) It got to the point we could get it all done in a morning.

lancer_evo_7
04-26-2004, 02:43 PM
yah, i did it. I think my pressure plate was fucked. Dunno, it was glazed to hell, and i dont think any clutch should be that way after just 3 months of driving, hard or not. I dont ride my clutch....dunno. Thats one BIG FRIGGIN NUT. My flywheel was just heat glazed, so it wasnt bad to do. All good now. Thats an easy tranny to line up too, try doing it in a 240sx....those are a bitch.

jedelow
10-22-2005, 11:15 AM
go to Head Masters Cylinder Head Service inc to get your flywheel surfaced, awsome finish, reasonable prices, fast service
check em out Bay 2 2364 20th ave N.E. 735-4993