PDA

View Full Version : whats everyones opinion of volvo

JordanLotoski
04-23-2004, 09:50 PM
ive been lookin at the 2004 s60 R......anyone have anyting good or bad to say about this car?

JordanLotoski
04-23-2004, 09:55 PM
this is the R with sport package.....

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/11/web/503000-503999/503996_12_full.jpg

iceburns288
04-23-2004, 09:57 PM
I've heard good things about the R cars.

We just got a 2003 Volvo S80 with twin-turbos... it's nice and fast. The interior is really nice, too. It looks good in black.

RX-7_TWINTURBO
04-23-2004, 09:58 PM
holy fuck man...do you just lease a different car every week ?
i thought you just picked up your benz last week ?

Anyways In my oppinion the S60 R is fawkin hawt !!!

JordanLotoski
04-23-2004, 10:00 PM
well with the new benz..iam thinking..just thinking about trading the maxima....everyone has one awesome lease rates now...volvo is 1.8% i pay 6.2 on the maxima..so i can drive a 50,000 car for cheaper

core_upt
04-23-2004, 10:06 PM
I am a huge fan of Volvo. I love the S60R and the S80. AWD, Turbo, Luxury. Very nice cars. Plus they aren't as common as bimmers and benzes.

Hakkola
04-23-2004, 10:25 PM
S60R is hot! They come in some pretty nice colours.

I drove a S60 T5 for a little while, only thing I didn't like about it was massive torque steer and poor turning radius, however that was two years ago and the S60R sends some of the power to the rear wheels.

I love the car. If you ever decided to go aftermarket with it there are actually quite a few kits to make a beautiful car even better looking and there are some go fast mods. Look for the Evolve S60R, actually, here...

Hakkola
04-23-2004, 10:25 PM
I love it.

Hakkola
04-23-2004, 10:26 PM
Hot?

Great car IMO.

JordanLotoski
04-23-2004, 10:28 PM
wow nice...i was just on the site.....the R is a lil more then i wanted to spend....the T5 is more in the price range i wanted......shit....hows the t5?

Hakkola
04-23-2004, 10:30 PM
T5 was good, I went 200km/h by accident, one second I was going 120, the next MUCH faster.

It gets looks when you get it in one of the more rare colours, I had a kinda goldish one, I've seen an Aqua type colour that is really eye catching.

Go to the dealership and if they have any lying around, see if you can take it for a weekend, that's what I did.

JordanLotoski
04-23-2004, 10:32 PM
a weekend????......hahahah do i have to leave my max there or anyting?

Hakkola
04-23-2004, 10:34 PM
Hahaha no man. Just a little bit of paper work, it's not huge deal, at least I don't remember it being a big deal, it was awhile ago.

Ohh, I almost forgot, pretty bumpin sound system in that bad boy as well :thumbsup:

barmanjay
04-24-2004, 02:59 AM
Volvo's, especially the new ones = are a sweeeeeet ride!!!!

86max
04-24-2004, 03:29 AM
safest cars in the world:thumbsup:

Dj_Stylz
04-24-2004, 06:54 AM
Wow thats one real nice car:thumbsup:

EK 2.0
04-24-2004, 08:39 AM
Man Volvo has come a LONG way from the days I remember them zipping around the streets...These aren't pop's old Volvo's huh??

hjr
04-24-2004, 11:38 AM
volvos are really cool cars. the only thng you dont get too much of is "street Cred" which is over rated anyways. do you really want a 16yo's reving at you at every light? IMO awsome cars.

Impreza
04-24-2004, 11:42 AM
get the new S40 with T5 and AWD! now that is a nice car!

S60R is awesome, very nice!

Impreza
04-24-2004, 11:49 AM
here r some more pics of the EVOLVE S60R

http://www.evolvecars.com/albums/Ford-Premier-Auto-Group/CIMG0714.sized.jpg

Click here to check out the brakes!!!! (http://www.roadfly.org/magazine/galleries/la_auto_show_2004/Volvo-S60R-EVOLVE-picture23933,1;23928,1;0,1;.html)

and here is the new S40... HOT!!! :drool: :drool:
http://members.shaw.ca/jonho/s40 sport.jpg

T5_X
04-24-2004, 01:10 PM
The S40 coming out might be something you could be interested in. They are dropping the shitty old 1.9L 4 and putting in thier 5 cylinders. The Volvo 5 cyls are IMO some of the nicest engines on the market, the T5 in the upcoming S40 will put out less than current S60/V70 T5s, but chip and exhaust will bring it back up to the near 300 HP mark. The T5 will come with an option of Volvo's new M66 six speed manual tranny and Haldex AWD, which will make it a better choice IMO than any of the German sport sedans that will cost even more.

The S60 T5 is basically the newer model of my car in sedan form. Expect a nice ride, solid handling and gobs of horsepower from a role, the merging and passing power of these high boost turbo 5 cyls is priceless. That being said though, the car is not as fun to drive around as a BMW or MB sport sedan, and will never handle as well. A way to justify buying one though is that they are arguably the safest cars in the world. The safety features of them are uncountable. I would still feel safer in an early 80s 740 or 240 than I would in 95% of today's cars.

The R is IMO the best buy on the market for the price if you are looking at a sport sedan/wagon (other than maybe the G35 which I am also very partial to). The adaptive suspension, suspension settings, Haldex AWD, high powered 5 cyl, M66 tranny, safety features and practicality of the car are all incredible. It is closer to the size of a 5 series even though it is usually compared to the 3 series. Cost will be a few grand less than a fucking base 525i, WAY less than any E class, and about equal to a 330xi, and a couple grand more than a 330i or C320 sports sedan. It outguns all of those cars by far in every department.

A2VR6
04-24-2004, 10:35 PM
The S60R is awesome car. Looks great, drives great. IMHO it has the most comfortable seats i have ever sat in if that matters. Im pretty sure theres pretty high demand for them because the last time I've been to a volvo dealership, they had absolutly none of them.

C4S
04-25-2004, 12:29 AM
:rofl: :rofl:

It is a Volvo ! what can I say ? Volvo ? :rofl: 10 yr ago .. may be fine .. but not now .. get a real FORD instead !

T5_X
04-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by C4S
:rofl: :rofl:

It is a Volvo ! what can I say ? Volvo ? :rofl: 10 yr ago .. may be fine .. but not now .. get a real FORD instead !

You're a moron. You shoot your mouth off about the company and you know nothing about them.
There is NOTHING Ford about any Volvo except the upcoming S40, Which will only have the very base chassis shared with the current Mazda 3 and next gen Focus, assembled in Europe.

Moe Man
04-25-2004, 09:57 PM
VOLVO "For Life":thumbsup:

Weapon_R
04-25-2004, 10:29 PM
They are a sign of true class. I love them, although they've never been particularly popular. The problem is that you can probably get something nicer for about the same amount of money.

izzoblitzo
04-25-2004, 10:36 PM
:)

http://www.fototime.com/54E59C61F5F751B/orig.jpg

pinoyhero
04-25-2004, 10:37 PM
IMO a great looking car but Volvo's don't have the best track record for reliability especially in the long term. I wouldn't want to have to pick up the repairs bill on that beast 5 years down the road. But if you can afford it it sure looks like a great ride.

CKY
04-25-2004, 11:34 PM
My friend's dad is going to pick up a S60R in the summer, and his family is volvo/saab fanatics, i've been passengers for a few new volvos. IMO they ride great and were very sturdy before they were sold to ford. But the S60R is a bit pricy

ZorroAMG
04-25-2004, 11:45 PM
IMHO Volvos are good looking cars but have no real panache. The S60R looks like a facsimile of the Audi S4 from the front, showing no real individualism...

i'd pass on them personally, but they do have good performance and style is subjective....

C4S
04-26-2004, 12:50 AM
:D :D

anyway .. whatever Volvo, Kia, Lada .. or Ferrari ..

This post just ask for everyones opinion ...

It is simple .. I don't like Volvo ! I never drive a S60R, and don't want to anyway, but whatever those S70 turbo, 850R ... C70 turbo, S80 turbo .. they r powerful, and comfort, and I am sure they r safe to crash too .. but for someone perfer a good handling car ... then no thanks ! again, it is just me .. when did we see a Volvo rated good in handling and braking section ? and on the "cons" side of some car comparision, it always say " drive like a Volvo " and we know that is the weak part of Volvo anyway !

Again .. depend what u want ! a big car, with power, and safe to crash .. and not expensive, Volvo is not that bad !

Anyway, the new S40 interior is damn nice ! especially compare to other volvo, however, can get a Mazda or Ford ! and Volvo don't hv "Luxury" car image ad BMW or Benz anyway ! :D

If I am going to buy a car for my mom, then I don't mind to buy a Volvo ! (if she is willing to drive one ! :D )

Kamen
04-26-2004, 03:30 AM
Originally posted by T5_X

There is NOTHING Ford about any Volvo except the upcoming S40, Which will only have the very base chassis shared with the current Mazda 3 and next gen Focus, assembled in Europe.

Ahh...I was going to say...the S40 looks so much like the Mazda 3...
Hot cars though! :thumbsup:

T5_X
04-26-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero
IMO a great looking car but Volvo's don't have the best track record for reliability especially in the long term. I wouldn't want to have to pick up the repairs bill on that beast 5 years down the road. But if you can afford it it sure looks like a great ride.

Volvo has probably one of the best track records for reliability before the early-mid 1990s. In 93, they completely started from scratch, went to a FWD platform and a whole new series of engines. The engines are as bomb proof as ever, but they have tried to make thier cars more luxury to compete head on with the Germans, and thats where they run into problems with electrical, hardware etc. I still would not think of them as any less reliable than a new Audi or BMW, especially when it comes to the engine/drivetrain.

Originally posted by ZorroAMG
IMHO Volvos are good looking cars but have no real panache. The S60R looks like a facsimile of the Audi S4 from the front, showing no real individualism...

Yes. One thing the new Ford ownership demanded from Volvo was a styling change to attract new customers. Personally, I like the old, boxy look of Volvos but now they look like a generic european car. Look at how much an XC90 looks like an X5!
While I do hate this styling change, the cars are still the same where it counts.

C4S, you want to take back what you said about braking performance? lol.
Volvo has always had tremendous braking performance... Its part of the whole "safety" thing. Shit, a new S60R outbrakes a C32AMG, S4 and is a couple feet behind an M3. Even an S60 T5 hits 0 from 60 in under 120 ft.

Handling is not bad in Volvos, it is just not as "track inspired." Its built for practicality. They changed to a FWD platform for safety reasons... because the average person can handle a FWD car better in the snow and because the transverse engine layout allows for more effective use of crumple zones.
The setup is tuned soft from the factory on most Volvos, but can be made to perform well. Handling on the new Rs are outstanding and when the new AWD S40 comes out, I think it will compete head on with the german sport sedans.

Xtrema
04-27-2004, 02:42 PM
http://www.autointell-news.com/News-2003/August-2003/August-2003-4/volvo-s40-400.jpg

Hawt!

403Gemini
04-27-2004, 03:30 PM
volvo = safest car on the market

id get one in a heart beat

Ferio_vti
04-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Sexiest Grocery-getters on the market.

I saw an R on 17th a couple weeks back. Seeing them in person is even better than just pictures.

Sean7
04-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

The world record for highest mileage on a vehicle is a volvo, and I have seen many volvos hit the 300,000 km mark and still run strong without a rebuild. They have not changed the major design of their engines for a long time as it is well proven that they are strong. The weak link that I could see would be the electronic system, just like the new BMWs, Cadillacs, etc. Besides, SIR CANADA is talking about leasing his vehicle, which means it will be covered under warranty until his lease is up, and he can walk away from it if turns out to be a POS.

T5_X
04-28-2004, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by Sean7

The world record for highest mileage on a vehicle is a volvo, and I have seen many volvos hit the 300,000 km mark and still run strong without a rebuild. They have not changed the major design of their engines for a long time as it is well proven that they are strong. The weak link that I could see would be the electronic system, just like the new BMWs, Cadillacs, etc. Besides, SIR CANADA is talking about leasing his vehicle, which means it will be covered under warranty until his lease is up, and he can walk away from it if turns out to be a POS.

The world record car car at 2 million miles and counting:
http://www.canadiandriver.com/news/02images/irv_g4.jpg

The car would have a B18 engine I believe. Pushrod, all iron dual carbed 4 cylinder, lol, NOTHING like current engines.

No matter what generation though, Volvo engines hold up incredibly well, even new high boost all aluminum DOHC 5 cyls.