PDA

View Full Version : Cops have an Rx-8

Maxt
04-25-2004, 08:03 AM
Yesterday on 16th ave, near the brick, I saw a blue rx-8 with a clear lense light bar on the roof, and calgary police service on the side, and some cop thinking he is Mario Andretti behind the wheel, doing a neutral drop and leaving a patch.... Public awareness indeed, I think we are fully aware that we have police in Calgary, and probably the most easily distracted to boot....yes the car is free for a given amount of time, but fitting it to police standards is not kids, your tax dollars hard at work again...Maxt

Skyline_Addict
04-25-2004, 08:06 AM
finally. all those tickets they gave out finally got them something...:barf:

BigMass
04-25-2004, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Skyline_Addict
finally. all those tickets they gave out finally got them something...:barf:

Too bad they can't buy IQ points.

rc2002
04-25-2004, 10:42 AM
What a stupid purchase. Almost as dumb as the Police beetle.

Why would they buy such a slow car?!? I test drove it a couple of weeks ago and I was quite disappointed with the speed (or lack thereof).

CivicDXR
04-25-2004, 11:11 AM
I saw the exact same RX8, I was on centre street heading towards mcknight, and it was going in the opposite direction, it looked like it was dodging in and out of traffic... must have been around the same time you saw it maxt....

and I agree, I hope they didn't pay for that thing, cause its a waste of cash...

ACX
04-25-2004, 05:46 PM
just for high speed chases eh??

:confused: :D :zzz:

ryder_23
04-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by richardchan2002

Why would they buy such a slow car?!? I test drove it a couple of weeks ago and I was quite disappointed with the speed (or lack thereof).

just like the beetle, its used for shows, and events for the public...its fully equiped, but not used as a regular car..

Ajay
04-25-2004, 07:13 PM
:thumbsdow

Guess all the photo radar is going to something useful :rolleyes:

Altezza
04-25-2004, 07:29 PM
The car, just like the previously used Mazda6, is donated for use by the CPS for their community awareness programs.

Chester
04-25-2004, 08:44 PM
i saw it at the car show, gay:thumbsdow

C4S
04-25-2004, 09:09 PM
he he . actually . I like the look for that police car yeah ...

and it is a very fast car for the money, for $40K, it is a fast "4 door " car, I don't think most cars can go faster, and handle better , ( not count domestic car or buy a 15 yr old car and spend $10K on mod ! ) :D

We all see so many other countries, they use Slyline, Lambo, Porsche, etc as police car ... so .. it is not that bad using a RX8 as police car .. and probaby was sponser by Mazda ...

And the Alberta police r damn rich ! I think even just me, have paid probaby more then $5,000 on tickets from the last few yrs ! :banghead: :banghead:

LancerShelby
04-25-2004, 09:42 PM
How about the 6 officers hanging out flirting with the girls at The Speakeasy last night:dunno:

Ridelikeme
04-25-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by C4S
he he . actually . I like the look for that police car yeah ...

and it is a very fast car for the money, for $40K, it is a fast "4 doors " car, I don't think most car can go faster, and handle better , ( not count domestic car or buy a 15 yr old car and spend $10K on mod ! ) :D

We all saw so many other countries, they use Slyline, Lambo, Porsche, etc as police car ... so .. it is not that bad using a RX8 as police car .. and probaby was sponser by Mazda ...

And the Alberta police r damn rich ! I think even just me, have paid probaby more then $5,000 on tickets from the last few yrs ! :banghead: :banghead:

man are u drunk.. the way u are talking its no wonder the cops have issued u 5000$ worth of tickets. DUI can do that to u.. u are almost making as many spelling mistakes as JennerB. with the green precidia

as for the rx-8 pig car... that awsome, in the states they get corvettes

davidI
04-25-2004, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Maxt
some cop thinking he is Mario Andretti behind the wheel, doing a neutral drop and leaving a patch....

Yet if I leave a patch, it's a stunting ticket, a few hundred bucks and several demerits. Gotta love the consistency there.

Orbie
04-25-2004, 10:17 PM
I agree it looks kind of strange, but like someone mentioned before, it is purely promotional, used for events and public displays.

If you were at the recent Calgary Auto Show, you would have seen it there, right next to a stock RX-8.

403Gemini
04-26-2004, 03:34 PM
i think the police should replace all the crown victorias and impalas with mazda speed 6's :thumbsup:

BumpinTalon
04-27-2004, 06:49 PM
What's wrong with RX-8s?
They are gorgeous and the motor has a lot of potential. When you compare it to previous N/A rotaries, and use that as a baseline, the potential for a turbocharged renesis is pretty good.
Even though you are going to have all those rotary problems like seizing it up if you don't run it enough, that "street port" crap, the steep cost of maintaining one, and the really high operating temperature.

rx7_turbo2
04-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by BumpinTalon
What's wrong with RX-8s?
They are gorgeous and the motor has a lot of potential. When you compare it to previous N/A rotaries, and use that as a baseline, the potential for a turbocharged renesis is pretty good.
Even though you are going to have all those rotary problems like seizing it up if you don't run it enough, that "street port" crap, the steep cost of maintaining one, and the really high operating temperature.

Huh? I hope you were being sarcastic, otherwise you need to pull your head out of your ass, and do some research.

TofuBoi
04-28-2004, 11:13 PM
damn....... too bad u didn't take a picture when he was doing a burn out...... cuz what gives cops the right to break the law for their own enjoyment?

T5_X
04-29-2004, 12:32 AM
ROFL. Why the fuck would a city police service need "promotional" vehicles!?!?! :rofl:

Seks
04-29-2004, 10:25 AM
and the motor has a lot of potential.

Right...

1. Fudged up hp. 238 hp at the crank? After seeing dyno slips of 170-180 hp at the wheels, the 238 is impossible.

2. Flooding issues.

3. Some of them need new engine because of seals problem.

4. Horrible gas mileage.

Stratus_Power
04-29-2004, 11:08 AM
surprise no one posted this yet

rx7_turbo2
04-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Seks

3. Some of them need new engine because of seals problem.

Care to elaborate? Which seals? What precisely is the problem?

Seks
04-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

Care to elaborate? Which seals? What precisely is the problem?

Coolant leak.

rx7_turbo2
04-30-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by Seks

Coolant leak.

Hmmm I had not heard that. What type of leak, outer? or inner into the combustion chamber?

Maxt
05-02-2004, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by T5_X
ROFL. Why the fuck would a city police service need "promotional" vehicles!?!?! :rofl:

Good question.... Are there people in Calgary that don't know that there is a police force here? highly unlikely....
Are there people here that are afraid to approach cops.. maybe, but putting two dough heads with badges an trendy sunglass behind the wheel of a quasi sports car ain't gonna help....
Does this car make people who are cynical of the abilities,attitudes and management of the police service feel any better of the aforementioned...mmmm nooo....
Waste of money, waste of time, and next year you will here that nazi koenig and bum boy beaton pleading their case for even more money next year, its not the amount thats wrong boys, its what you are doing with it.....Hmm helicopter, suv's all around, full size trucks, humveees, sports cars.... wonder what their fuel budget is, maybe we should talk about that during the mayors enviro expo this year..cough couch snicker snicker... Leading by example as always... the city of calgary...... :nut:

BumpinTalon
05-02-2004, 01:49 PM
Why does no one like the new rotary? The 13B seems to be a favorite motor of aftermarket tuners. I think the new one will eventually be the same.

rx7_turbo2
05-02-2004, 10:53 PM
Why does no one like the new rotary? The 13B seems to be a favorite motor of aftermarket tuners. I think the new one will eventually be the same.
Once again you need to do a TON more research man. Why does no one check facts before posting?

Oh well. The 13BT in the 2nd gen, and the 13BREW in the 3rd gen are TOTALLY different than the 13B Renesis in the RX8. Port design only being part of the difference. Both the 13BT and REW move a massive amount of air. Which is part of the reason "tuners" like them, they can spool BIG turbo's with relative ease. The intake and exhuast ports of the Renesis don't allow for this, at least not to the same extent. Plus the 13T and REW were both turbo motors, designed with lower compression rotors. the Renesis is n/a by design, and although some have found success it's not easy to turbo high comp rotary.

I can't see the Renesis ever being what the 13BT and REW were and are to this date.

CKY
05-04-2004, 01:41 AM
Originally posted by Orbie
I agree it looks kind of strange, but like someone mentioned before, it is purely promotional, used for events and public displays.

If you were at the recent Calgary Auto Show, you would have seen it there, right next to a stock RX-8.

yes i saw it at the auto show too, but i didn't expect them to drive it in public:eek:

Cyruss12
05-06-2004, 06:52 PM
If he was doing a neutral drop you'll be paying for a new tranny soon. lol

rsxboi
05-09-2004, 11:09 AM
this summer Edmonton Police they will get their new Hyundai Tiburon V6 GT and they even change the wheel to 18" ha!

Xtrema
05-10-2004, 07:47 AM
Saw this RX-8 at Edmonton Trail and Memorial, right in front of Donut Time.