PDA

View Full Version : how to fight a U turn ticket?

Jynx
04-25-2004, 01:17 PM
is it possible to fight a u turn ticket?
if so
ne suggestions?
ma bro got one last nitee on macleod and like a 162nd or something..
and does neone know if its a demerit ticket or not

africano
04-25-2004, 03:11 PM
A U-turn ticket won't be worth fighting, you'll be like "Judge I didn't do it", then the cop will be like "yes, he did". Then the judge will rule in favor of the cop.

Plus how much is a U-turn ticket like 70 bucks :dunno: . Not worth the time if it is. I don't know if it's a demerit or not, don't think so here on the west coast, not sure though.

rage2
04-25-2004, 03:17 PM
u-turns in Alberta are 2 demerits if I remember right. So it's worth fighting if you need a clean record.

izzoblitzo
04-25-2004, 03:38 PM
anything is worth a try, but in the end, a Uturn is a Uturn. It's not like a speeding ticket where you coulda been speeding, but not quite speeding as much as the police say you were speeding.. but for a uturn... your bro was given the ticket because he got caught doing a Uturn when he wasnt supposed to. :D

vtec96
04-25-2004, 03:56 PM
haaa~~~ I got the same ticket at the same spot (macleod and like a 162nd ) last month !!
the ticket is $120....but the cop made some mistake on the ticket... i didn't have to pay~:thumbsup:
but......I think they have the right to change the ticket..up to 6 months.........
go fight it....

JohnnyBlaze
04-25-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by vtec96
haaa~~~ I got the same ticket at the same spot (macleod and like a 162nd ) last month !!
the ticket is $120....but the cop made some mistake on the ticket... i didn't have to pay~:thumbsup:
but......I think they have the right to change the ticket..up to 6 months.........
go fight it....

i had a ticket with a mistake by the cop, and a couple months later he came to my house to give me a new one haha

:thumbsdow

Kaos
04-25-2004, 05:00 PM
I always thought the rule was.

"U-turns are legal only when safe to do so or else otherwise posted"

I remember my old high school officer telling me.

Wildcat
04-25-2004, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by Kaos
I always thought the rule was.

"U-turns are legal only when safe to do so or else otherwise posted"

I remember my old high school officer telling me.

not anymore, its illegal anywhere within city limits period.

CavZ24
04-25-2004, 06:05 PM
Any ticket is possible to fight. Or u will be able to reduce the amount of the ticket if not being able to fight.

smin
04-25-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Wildcat

not anymore, its illegal anywhere within city limits period.
holy shit, anyone have any idea if it's the same in edmonton?

l/l/rX
04-25-2004, 07:51 PM
i also have a question bout tickets. when you go to court...is the officer aloud to object to anything?
also i have a court date on june 24th at 930am, and i may have exams on that date and time, am i aloud to go change the court date and say i have an exam on that day?

l/l/rX
04-25-2004, 07:52 PM
o yea and...what are the chances of getting my demerits back? i dont care about paying the ticket i just need my demirits back thats all.

Kaos
04-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by l/l/rX
o yea and...what are the chances of getting my demerits back? i dont care about paying the ticket i just need my demirits back thats all.

U actually dont get your demerits back for a while. Im not sure what the rule is about it getting back but if your driving habits hare good after a certain age, I think you get them back.

Someone correct me if Im wrong.

LUDELVR
04-25-2004, 08:23 PM
Man, research people! Supersec got a U turn ticket and he is capable of fighting it and winning it. You are not allowed to do a U turn during the following:
1. Anywhere a sign indicates that you can't make a U turn.
2. On a roadway in between intersections and
3. at a traffic control signal. A signal is an electronic controlled device like a stop light.

So that means that you "can" do a U turn at a stop sign or 4 way stop. Go check out a driver's manual or even the alberta traffic rules website. The thing with traffic rules is that there is so much room for interpretation or a gray area that you can plead you point and back it up by referring it to things such as those items I just listed. If it states that in a book that drivers use to get their liscences, then that should be good enough to get you off of that ticket. :thumbsup:

so now ask yourself, did you do a U turn in any of those situations? if not, then you haven't committed an offence.

Jynx
04-25-2004, 08:36 PM
k thanks everyone
also a friend of mine got a ticket for goin threw a intersection when he wasnt supposed 2.....and their was a mistake on the ticket
the officer checked adult instead of youth and when we went to the JP counter they sed it doesnt matter, the ticket is still valid..

Wildcat
04-25-2004, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by LUDELVR
Man, research people! Supersec got a U turn ticket and he is capable of fighting it and winning it. You are not allowed to do a U turn during the following:
1. Anywhere a sign indicates that you can't make a U turn.
2. On a roadway in between intersections and
3. at a traffic control signal. A signal is an electronic controlled device like a stop light.

So that means that you "can" do a U turn at a stop sign or 4 way stop. Go check out a driver's manual or even the alberta traffic rules website. The thing with traffic rules is that there is so much room for interpretation or a gray area that you can plead you point and back it up by referring it to things such as those items I just listed. If it states that in a book that drivers use to get their liscences, then that should be good enough to get you off of that ticket. :thumbsup:

so now ask yourself, did you do a U turn in any of those situations? if not, then you haven't committed an offence.

no you cant, all those sources are dated, talk to a constable and they will tell you different. i did a U-turn on a break in a median, i even saw the police car there, i thought it was ok (your 3 points applied and i was aware of them) so i took the turn.

i did my best to talk my way out of it but i still got a $78 dollar ticket, he specifically told me that "you cannot do a U-turn anywhere within calgary's city limits."

LUDELVR
04-25-2004, 09:10 PM

no you cant, all those sources are dated, talk to a constable and they will tell you different. i did a U-turn on a break in a median, i even saw the police car there, i thought it was ok (your 3 points applied and i was aware of them) so i took the turn.

i did my best to talk my way out of it but i still got a $78 dollar ticket, he specifically told me that "you cannot do a U-turn anywhere within calgary's city limits."

Well, last time I taught this to students, these were the rules, and if you go onto their website, it's up to date and that's what is still listed.

Also, you can't take the word of an officer! They don't know shit! Really, they don't know anything! They don't study traffic laws when they are in police training! That's why there are so many grey areas and that's why so many of the cases can be dismissed. Officers have been proven wrong time and time again. You can't simply take the word of one because really, they only know as much as they did when they started their police training which in most cases is wrong.

Wildcat
04-25-2004, 09:21 PM
maybe i couldve taken it to court, it happened when i was in highschool so i talked to my school constable about it, (he was a really good guy and we talked often) but he told me i had to pay up and said the same thing the first constable did. 78 bucks later that was the end of my story, oh well :(

LUDELVR
04-25-2004, 09:26 PM
maybe i couldve taken it to court, it happened when i was in highschool so i talked to my school constable about it, (he was a really good guy and we talked often) but he told me i had to pay up and said the same thing the first constable did. 78 bucks later that was the end of my story, oh well :(

No man, that's cool, but really, I taught this stuff to high school kids and me as well as the other teachers had several talks with officers about the traffic laws and we confirmed that they are in fact quite ignorant to the actual particulars about the actual rules and regulartions. All they really know is what they remember when driving and unless all of them were driving instructors, most of what they recall is simply incorrect. A lot of them are really nice guys but that doesn't mean that they are right.

I am 100% positive that if you took this to court, you would have won.