PDA

View Full Version : computer problem

Shaolin
04-26-2004, 10:21 AM
got an email from a buddy just now.

"The pc works fine when its on. Then I shut it off and go to reboot the next day or whatever and it powers up, but will not load. It seems like it gets to the part where it looks in the CD rom drive and gets hung up. I thought it was fugged last time it happened last weekend, then my sister came home, turned it on and boom, it worked. The I shut it down a few days later and the problem returned. I am thinking something is failing or something, if it were a soft problem would't it be consistent?? It seemslike hardware, maybe the rom drive? The PC has not been backed up in a while so wiping it is NOT an option. "

any ideas?

Gonthro
04-26-2004, 10:27 AM
sounds like a HDD failure to me, if i were you i'd back it up asap, before you aren't given the option to.

if you wnat to check to see if its the cd rom you can just unplug it and see if its fine, but my money is on the HDD.

Dj_Stylz
04-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Thats how mine was but then it went away for some reason well i think it went away. Mine would start up then it would load to the Windows Xp then stall. I would turn off then turn on again took couple times then would start up.

boi-alien
04-26-2004, 11:10 AM
what kind of mobo does your friend have?

by any chance does your friend have a Gigabyte mobo?

if yes, his mobo is fried

Shaolin
04-26-2004, 11:43 AM
I have no idea.. I suggested that it was the HDD as well.. I haven't heard from him.. it's actually my buddy's mom's computer.. but whatever.. same deal.. some of the guys at his work suggested to update his BIOS and stuff which i don't see why would be the problem.. but thanx for the replies guys.. we'll see how it turns out.. i gota go over there to check it out after work.

Shaolin
04-26-2004, 01:16 PM
ok.. it seems that when she pushes the power button, and the screen stays blank.. monitor stays in amber mode with no green light..

hmm.. this doesn't look good at all..